Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All together now

• 10-09-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19541127
    Letter reveals County Down priest fraud charge

A statement has been read out at Masses in a County Down church in relation to a priest accused of embezzling funds.

Parishioners of St Macartan's Church, Loughinisland, were told that retired priest Father Conleth Byrne, 78, had been charged with defrauding the church of more than £145,000.

Father Byrne was parish priest at Loughinisland at the time.

The statement said that the diocese of Down and Connor and Father Byrne were co-operating fully with the police.

The statement, read out on Sunday, confirmed that Father Byrne had been charged with dishonestly abusing a position of trust by making payments to a person with the intention of making a gain for himself or another person, or to cause a loss to the parish of Loughinisland.

"Payments are alleged to have been made between January 1 2008 and 31 July 2009."

It added: "As part of a diocesan financial check into parishes carried out in July 2009, the Down and Connor diocesan finance office identified financial entries in a parish account which raised concerns.

"The diocese reported the situation to the police."

It is understood that Fr Byrne is currently living in Our Lady of Bethlehem Abbey in Portglenone, County Antrim, home of the Cistercian Order.

He has served in Kilkeel, Helen's Bay, Lower Mourne, Antrim and Killyleagh.

He was parish priest in Loughinisland for more than a decade.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

All together now. "The money was just resting in my account."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I see the church isn't big on forgiveness when it comes to its own money :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Father Byrne was parish priest at Loughinisland at the time.

The statement said that the diocese of Down on Connor and Father Byrne were co-operating fully with the police.

Oh Matron.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The church are in serious need of re branding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

I see the church isn't big on forgiveness when it comes to its own money :rolleyes:

Exactly. Its ok to rape and rob the masses but a whole different story when it happens to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Exactly. Its ok to rape and rob the masses but a whole different story when it happens to them.
    Kids will never go around raping priests and covering it up. It just wouldn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kids will never go around raping priests and covering it up. It just wouldn't happen.

Nah, they'll just seduce the priests instead. Then blame them for raping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I was wondering how long it would take this to turn into a paedo priest thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

"The money was just resting in my account"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I was gonna pay it back the next day?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I was gonna pay it back the next day?

i was waiting for the interest to kick in so i could make some money for charity ?

• Advertisement

"Father Conleth"... he was probably called "Con" for short too !

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't believe it took 9 whole posts for that to show up.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can't believe it took 9 whole posts for that to show up.

It was in the first post, under the news quote.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It was in the first post, under the news quote.

Curses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I knew a Fr Clint Power

Advertisement