Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest whiskey?

Options
  • 10-09-2012 2:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11

I'm without doubt a whiskey lover, but I like my cheap stuff to be honest. I can't be forking over 40 and 50 euro for a bottle of whiskey. What are some good cheap whiskeys that I can pick up around Dublin. I've seen Kinsey Whisky in Dunnes comes in at a 13.39 a 750 ml bottle, anything better than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Superquinn whiskey is very nice. I think it's around €17

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Avoca from aldi was good but I think discontinued. Was about 18-19 for the blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The Dunnes Stores one got very high marks in one Whisky Bible. I'm not sure if they still do it.

Powers isn't bad. In fact, it's one of my favourites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Buster Keaton

Cool, also is Tesco vodka the cheapest out there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Cool, also is Tesco vodka the cheapest out there?

If you really want to find out why not visit all supermarkets in your area and see which is cheaper.

Apparently if you're not too discerning youcan improve the quality of cheap vodka buy running it through an ordinary household filter (obviously don't put it back into the fridge for nomal water afterwards).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If you really want to find out why not visit all supermarkets in your area and see which is cheaper.

Apparently if you're not too discerning youcan improve the quality of cheap vodka buy running it through an ordinary household filter (obviously don't put it back into the fridge for nomal water afterwards).

Urban myth, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Black Bush on special offer at 20 seems to be very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vickie88

Geuze wrote: »
    Black Bush on special offer at 20 seems to be very good value.

Yeah Black Bush is pretty good. I prefer quality whiskey though and ready to pay $50 for a bottle

Confab wrote: »
    Urban myth, sadly.

The urban myth is that if you filter cheap vodka it will taste as good as premium vodkas. It won't.

But the filtration apparently does improve the flavour of cheap vodka, or at least it does according to Anthony Dias Blue, vodka expert, executive director San Francisco World Spirits Competion:
    Passing a low-end vodka through a filter will make it better, but it won't make it a top shelf vodka

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html

The best whisk(e)y bargain I got recently was €30 for a Caol Ila 12 in O'Briens. Sadly they only had two bottles left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Confab wrote: »
    Urban myth, sadly.
    It works, part of the reason cheap vodka are cheap is that they skimp on post production processes like carbon treatment.

What did you think the actual myth was? that carbon treatment has no effect at all? Most vodka manufacturers use carbon treatment.

The other misconception is that it needs to be carbon filtered in a traditional "filtering" sense, i.e. all the vodka passing through a carbon filter and coming out the other side.

You can simply get your hands on activated carbon granules and dump them into your bottle. The carbon will adsorb (note not absorb) many of the nasties while it is just resting at the bottom of the bottle. It just draws them out of solution and into the granules and "clings onto them" at a molecular level.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/alcotec-granular-activated-carbon-treats-25-litres-912-p.asp

These granules can later be washed & heated up to reactivate them several times, boiling off the stuff they adsorbed. The worse the vodka the more noticeable the effect, most cheapo vodka is still treated. I have cleaned up horrendous rum before with it.

This is also a better option in my mind since many commercial water filter units are plastic which may not be rated for 40%+ alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Interesting, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

The best whisk(e)y bargain I got recently was €30 for a Caol Ila 12 in O'Briens. Sadly they only had two bottles left.

Which O'Briens was that? Love Caol Ila but its hard to find here for decent money!!

Tesco have an offer of 2 * 1L bottles of Busmills for 40 euro.

20 per L = 14 for a 70cl bottle, that is savage value.

http://www.tesco.ie/pricenews/

FlicFlak wrote: »
    Which O'Briens was that? Love Caol Ila but its hard to find here for decent money!!

Sandyford. I think it might have been the end of a case that didn't sell particularly well so they sold off the last few bottles.

The next best thing may be Mitchell's Bowmore 12 for €35:

http://www.mitchellandson.com/spirits/bowmore-12-year-old.html

Have you tried the most recent Kilchomans? They are a similar whisky, although they are more expensive than Caol Ila.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Blackbush is a quality whiskey !! And at 20 a bottle in O'briens is great value - as mentioned already the Superquinn own brand ( a Cooley ) is excellent too for €17 . Powers is also a cracking "cheap whiskey "

Sandyford. I think it might have been the end of a case that didn't sell particularly well so they sold off the last few bottles.

The next best thing may be Mitchell's Bowmore 12 for €35:

http://www.mitchellandson.com/spirits/bowmore-12-year-old.html

Have you tried the most recent Kilchomans? They are a similar whisky, although they are more expensive than Caol Ila.

No, havnt tried it, but would love to. The price for Bowmore is really good too. Wont be anywhere round Dublin for a while. In Athlone here. Good beer selection here but the only place that does decent whisky is O'Briens, and theyre dear for the top shelf stuff. In line with most others though i suppose!
    At the moment im on the Johnnie Walker Double Black with a Snow Grouse waiting for me when im done!!

No, havnt tried it, but would love to. The price for Bowmore is really good too. Wont be anywhere round Dublin for a while. In Athlone here. Good beer selection here but the only place that does decent whisky is O'Briens, and theyre dear for the top shelf stuff. In line with most others though i suppose!
    At the moment im on the Johnnie Walker Double Black with a Snow Grouse waiting for me when im done!!

The Double Black has a lot of Caol Ila in it, doesn't it?

Yeah, and some Talisker to balance it. Kind of sweet on the tongue, very nice!
    I heard the green label has both of those aswell but doesnt taste smoky, in fact a completly different taste!! Would love to try it some day!

Yeah, and some Talisker to balance it. Kind of sweet on the tongue, very nice!
    I heard the green label has both of those aswell but doesnt taste smoky, in fact a completly different taste!! Would love to try it some day!

They say it's being discontinued but they've been saying that for years.

• Advertisement

The Tesco deal is back on, 2 * 1L spirits for 40 euro.

Black Bush 70cl included.

Advertisement