Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High street mall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kk23

they should create a medieval walkabout , god knows they've been touting the town as a the medieval city for years, its an opportunity to come good on the promise. put in a games arcade to hell,,,,liven up the kip a bit!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It's a horrible building.
    I always feel like I am got in the 80's when i walk through it.
    It's ****e for parking and i'd imagine any deliveries to the place is very difficult.
    I can't see any M&S moving in.
    To be honest I can't see what they can do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Demolish and rebuild it. The dept store idea is not a bad one. Or extend the Market Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's a prime location, surely something halfway decent could be done with it.

It's always had a pure whack of the 80's off it. I remember there used to be a really manky pub in there. Pubs in shopping centres, I don't know how that idea didn't catch on...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

That's a blast from the past!! Forgot all about that pub!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

What was that bar called, I've a vague notion it was called the Amber Bar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    What was that bar called, I've a vague notion it was called the Amber Bar.

I thought it was the Perch

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

That does sound familiar. There was an Amber bar too, do you remember where that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

The Perch was upper John Street. Now the World's End or the Four in a Brawl or whatever it's called.

Mankbag wrote: »
    The Perch was upper John Street. Now the World's End or the Four in a Brawl or whatever it's called.
    Thanks for that, I was wondering why a pub called the Perch would be downstairs at the back of an arcade.
    So ideas what the bar in the arcade was called, was it the Amber bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Think it had a brief incarnation as a wine/tapas bar run by some Spanish guy from Tenerife....I think,..

27947965.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

The bar in the arcade was called Mikes bar.
    The tapas/wine bar was located in the unit to the left of mikes bar a few years after.

God Kilkenny was grim in the 80's/early90s. It's really come on so much since those days.

Yip, it was grim. Thankfully there's at least a coffee culture now.

Coffee shop planned for High St Mall....I remember there being on up there years ago! Presume this is something a little more upmarket and substantial;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/approval-for-cafe-in-high-street-mall-1-4600377

Thankfully there's something constructive going in there. Walked through it a few weeks ago and it's like something from Dawn Of The Dead.

I'm delighted to hear that, it's probably one most underutilised spaces in Kilkenny. It's funny how all during the septic tiger nothing happened with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

where do you think they kept the tiger?

An Bord Pleanala have granted permission for the gaming arcade.

• Advertisement

Seriously??

Christ. What happened to the coffee house or cafe or whatever was mooted to go in there?

It's not the ideal thing to go in there but it sure is better than all the empty lots that are currently there.

Threadhead wrote: »
    It's not the ideal thing to go in there but it sure is better than all the empty lots that are currently there.

Very debatable..

True! Depends on how it's done though.

Does K-Bowl at McDonagh Junction not comfortably serve this purpose for the city centre already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well, will it be welcomed by the tourists? Will it be on the official tourist walkabout? Everyone laments the closing of the slots places in tramore,l it might just what some people want.
    Lets face it there ain 't much for youngsters to do in the city, even less now we find our burgers are sadly lacking in irish beef, what did you say the chicken comes from Brazil
    Are we fast getting to the point where there is very little true Irish products available.
    Do we want the mall to be an amusement arcade?Isn't this the time to have your say, I have heard that brown envelopes have there own individual smell.

Foxcoverteddy, I think (though i don't know) the emphasis will be more on gambling than gaming.

Threadhead, the K-Bowl does serve this purpose but whether it can really be considered 'city centre' is again debatable..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Also, I wouldn't put Kilkenny in the same cultural category as Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

Can't imagine the businesses in that area of High St. are going to be too pleased about this.
    I don't think the city's main street is the best place to site a business like this. Surely Mcdonagh would be a more appropriate location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The council denied permission on this very basis.

There's nothing on the Bord Planeala website about granting it though, and that is kept very up to date.

Sky King wrote: »
    There's nothing on the Bord Planeala website about granting it though, and that is kept very up to date.

Confirmed, front page of KK People today.

• Advertisement

This is and would be a definite downward slide for High St and Kilkenny city centre. O'Connell st allowed one or two of these and look at that.
    I'm totally with the Council on this. These belong (if anywhwere) in places like Tramore and more working class towns/cities. Not Kilkenny.

Advertisement