Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4??

• 10-09-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Is there a playstation 4 coming out?
    Reason being, my current ps3 has gone on the blink, would invest in a ps4 if its coming on the market in the next few months

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

plynchcit wrote: »
    Reason being, my current ps3 has gone on the blink, would invest in a ps4 if its coming on the market in the next few months

Not until late next year at the earliest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Oh God :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

plynchcit wrote: »

The PS4 is being released next Friday. Have you been hiding under a rock and missed the massive marketing campaign from Sony? :eek:

New joypad looks so AWESOME

ps4-controller.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

eioneill wrote: »
    The PS4 is being released next Friday. Have you been hiding under a rock and missed the massive marketing campaign from Sony? :eek:

New joypad looks so AWESOME

ps4-controller.jpg

Thing is...it might not be far from the truth :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Think of all the dimensions you could control with that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I just received an email from Sony. They said that instead of making consumers pay for the next generation, they'll be wirelessly providing a free update which will upgrade your PS3. Oh yeah, they'll also be posting out millions of brand new tippex bottles (fancy) with tracking numbers so we can trace their location like following Santa and everyone will be able to alter the numerical number on the consoles themselves. Exciting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - current rumours as that is all we have, is that the PS4 may not be backwards compatible - so for the sake of waiting at this point over a year personally I would go and get a low memory PS3 to just enjoy what games you have and any freebies from the Plus membership.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

EA working on “3 to 5 new IPs” for PlayStation 4, calls machine “spectacular”

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2012/09/04/ea-working-on-3-to-5-new-ips-for-playstation-4-calls-machine-spectacular/
    President of EA labels, Frank Gibeau has been talking about PS4 again saying that EA are working on, “3 to 5 new IPs for next gen consoles”. He also mentions the hardware adding, “I’ve seen the machines that we’re building games for, and they’re spectacular”.

Whore Of The Orient coming to PlayStation 4, first screen & info appears on Team Bondi site

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2012/08/30/whore-of-the-orient-coming-to-playstation-4-info-appears-on-team-bondi-update-site/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

there's plenty of life in the ps3 yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

http://www.ps4playstation4.com/ps4-release-date-countdown-begins

According to this site, there is 13 months before PS4 is released. Tbh, I won't be getting the PS4 until it has been proven to be bug free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would wait at least one year after release when there is a price drop (just like PS3, 360, Wii etc) before purchase.

Plenty life in the PS3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nucker wrote: »
    http://www.ps4playstation4.com/ps4-release-date-countdown-begins

According to this site, there is 13 months before PS4 is released. Tbh, I won't be getting the PS4 until it has been proven to be bug free

Thats a load of bull I'd say,we won't be seeing a ps4 for a few more years,its only what 6 years old?I'd give it 2 more to be announced and then 2 more after that before its released.

What is this confusion people have with console life cycles? A PS4 could and will, run alongside the PS3. Much the same as the PS3 ran alongside the PS2 for a few years.

The ten year lifespan of the PS3 doesn't mean the PS4 won't be sold alongside it

Thats a load of bull I'd say,we won't be seeing a ps4 for a few more years,its only what 6 years old?I'd give it 2 more to be announced and then 2 more after that before its released.

Yeah, maybe a load of BS, but whether it is true or not, I won't be buying it straight away. I am still in my first year of my PS3 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EnterNow wrote: »
    The ten year lifespan of the PS3 doesn't mean the PS4 won't be sold alongside it

Even then it doesn't mean much, if the PS3 is still selling long after the PS4 is out there'll still be games coming out for it even if it's just Fifa and Wii u ports of ps4/720 games like we saw with the PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

in fact Sony states that games currently on the market are not even close to pushing the system to its full potential

Well I think the Xbox 360 has reached the point it can't compete and up till now game design was aimed at both PS3 and 360 simultaneously. That resulted in the exact same game experience even though the ps3 has technological advantages.

You would never get Heavy Rain on the 360. There are quite a few games coming by year end and 2013 that are completely new which are totally not 360. I guess the Xbox is primarily an entertainment system and the ps3 a games machine.

If PS has a lifetime of 6 years Sony is committed to the policy then I might expect a PS4 a year early.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I guess the Xbox is primarily an entertainment system and the ps3 a games machine

I don't like using this emoticon, but this post calls for it - :rolleyes:

Any suggestions that the PS4 is around the corner has now been truly dismissed by a new version of the PS3
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/smaller-lighter-ps3-revision-revealed-at-tokyo-game-show-8157017.html

Can't imagine how they would sell the PS4, though still possible with this update

Hey I don't like sarcastic either but with the game type the xbox plays, kinect jumping around et al I don't figure the XBox as a out right games machine. Microsoft has it as an entertainment box.

Hey I don't like sarcastic either but with the game type the xbox plays, kinect jumping around et al I don't figure the XBox as a out right games machine. Microsoft has it as an entertainment box.

Ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

why not get one of the new 12gb ps3's , should cost about e230

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

L.A Noire was visually better than heavy rain IMO was on the Xbox.

L.A Noire was visually better than heavy rain IMO was on the Xbox.

L.A Noire was like Mafia 2 but all wrong. Heavy rain was original. There are a few games that are like all of the above coming out on the PS3 next year which I don't think will feature on the 360. I think the 360 has met its peak and is on the way out. I never rated even the idea of the 360 full stop but that is my own opinion.

I never rated even the idea of the 360 full stop but that is my own opinion.

Yet another emoticon called for, this time its - :confused:

Yet another emoticon called for, this time its - :confused:

I don't like the console full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I don't like the console full stop.

I rarely get involved in this sort of mucking about - but your opinion on the 360 not being a games console is rubbish.

Just because the 360 OS provides non-game oriented features doesn't mean it isn't a console, no more than the ability to use youtube/browse the internet/play Blu-Rays on a PS3 means it isn't a games console. Hell even the original NES was a console despite NES standing for Nintento Entertainment System.

It's worldwide sales as of March 2012 were higher than the PS3. The strong sales in Q3 2011 also meant it was the best selling console in 2011. In software sales, according to VGChartz the 360 has ~14% more sales than the PS3 - 660m units vs 575m.

It is a console, whether you "rate it" or not. Interestingly, your thoughts on the 360 also serve no purpose to the thread except to serve people like me coming in here and rubbishing your claims.

There will be a crossover period of one or two years, possibly more as the eight generation beds in and gamers adapt. I can't wait to see what both Sony and MS bring to the table :)

I rarely get involved in this sort of mucking about

Sometimes, when its bad enough, you just have to :D

- but your opinion on the 360 not being a games console is rubbish.

I said I don't rate the 360 console and don't think its an outright games machine. Sure it plays games, so too does most phones, but I wouldn't rate them.
    Just because the 360 OS provides non-game oriented features doesn't mean it isn't a console, no more than the ability to use youtube/browse the internet/play Blu-Rays on a PS3 means it isn't a games console. Hell even the original NES was a console despite NES standing for Nintento Entertainment System.

Absolutely, the 360 plays games but there is no concerted effort on Microsoft part to develop original quality games and the 360 reflex that. Once upon a time there was a great simulator on the PC called Microsoft Flight Simulator, but that was when there wasn't a whole pile else on the PC. Microsoft hasn't done anything original since
    It's worldwide sales as of March 2012 were higher than the PS3. The strong sales in Q3 2011 also meant it was the best selling console in 2011. In software sales, according to VGChartz the 360 has ~14% more sales than the PS3 - 660m units vs 575m.

The USA accounts for most of that. Best of luck to the Americans if they want to play games on the 360, but its their entire family who uses the console. It doesn't make for a great games machine, its everything else. There is more power in the PS3 than the 360, so far everyone has decided to go with the Xbox so be it.
    It is a console, whether you "rate it" or not. Interestingly, your thoughts on the 360 also serve no purpose to the thread except to serve people like me coming in here and rubbishing your claims.
    Its a big plastic box from Microsoft aimed as a stop gap measure like the same oh doh moment when they forgot all about the internet. This thread is about the PS4 on the PlayStation category so I don't know what you are talking about.

Sometimes, when its bad enough, you just have to :D

well don't be afraid to jump in (with the other 11 smiles) and tell us all about it.

• Advertisement

Sony promises 'incredible PS3 lineup over next 2-3 years'
    SCEA's John Koller assures of strong future for its home console
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/369700/sony-promises-incredible-ps3-lineup-over-next-2-3-years/
    By Mike Jackson for CVG UK

Calls for next-gen hardware are getting louder, but Sony assures PS3 owners that their old faithful has plenty more life left in it.

SCEA marketing VP John Koller says PS3 has at least two or three more years of strong releases ahead of it.
    "A lot of great content is coming," he told Gamespot. "And over the next 2-3 years, the PS3 has got an incredible lineup."

He went on, "We're going to continue supporting the PS3 for the next few years. Absolutely. And we're going to continue supporting it not only that long, but as long as there is a development spigot that's running hot.

"And I can tell you right now, the development spigot for PS3 is very hot. A lot of great games coming. Same thing with PS2... it's kind of stuck around as that old warrior, many years after its launch. But there's still games launching for it."

Team ICO fans will perhaps be concerned that Koller left 'The Last Guardian' out of his list of PS3 upcoming blockbusters, which included The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

He promised that there's "a lot of third-party content coming, and a lot of first-party content that hasn't come out publicly".

So, who needs PS4 anyway...?

Sounds pretty good, there is enough power in the PS3 to get 2 more years of good gaming. I've no doubt there will be an new Xbox before then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement