Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today is the day before..........

• 10-09-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭

wanted to get in early and hoping people will have more taste tomorrow than to start creating threads about the attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York, USA.
    Every year around this date people come out of theirs caves and change their Facebook pictures to photos of the Two Towers with gaudy patriotic American flags in the background. People who go on holidays in new York and feel they have an association with the place. Or people who wear this mourning period like the latest style of leather jacket to wear or David Beckham knickers.......
    Its like the Bin laden episode of 'the newsroom'- where a guy stands up in the control room wearing an NYFD hat. I could a whole mountain of embarrassing cliches from that episode. Including dare I forget the almost celebration of the killing of a person. He probably deserved to die if he was the guy in charge of those attacks. But the CELEBRATION of his death.
    Anyway more people have died in terrorist attacks in northern Ireland than in the whole of the USA. Not to mention other places in the world. Im dont want to get into the 'warmongers having their commupance' thing. Everyone knows that the USA engages in some very questionable foreign policy.
    But the whole stand and salutes like trained deals every time the date comes around completely infuriates me. Its pure mindless attention seeking. Its like a form of form of propaganda on the USA's part, in fact it probably is.

So please don't change your Facebook pictures to photos of this event. Its like celebrating a bank holiday now instead of remembering the death of innocent people. which is the real tragedy, not the attack on the sometimes 'rogue' USA but the loss in innocent mostly non political lives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

MUST...NOT...TAKE...THE...PI ...... AAAAAAAAHHHHHHRRRRRGGGGHH

560905_355056404579394_322621668_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Jesus, my eyes reading that!

Given the way you wrote your OP, I'm thinking you spend FAR too much time on facebook already, so just for one day how about this instead-

Turn off the computer and stay away from facebook and boards and go outside, get some fresh air, go talk to friends, have sex!

Get some of that pent up angst out of your system, and come back on Wedneday when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Jesus, my eyes reading that!

Given the way you wrote your OP, I'm thinking you spend FAR too much time on facebook already, so just for one day how about this instead-

Turn off the computer and stay away from facebook and boards and go outside, get some fresh air, go talk to friends, have sex!

Get some of that pent up angst out of your system, and come back on Wedneday when it's all over.

Eh! Its just something that annoys me. Its either here or in ranting and raving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hated the Lord of the Rings films so didn't even watch as far as the Twin Towers.

Hey Mr invisible where's your troll post gone to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I hated the Lord of the Rings films so didn't even watch as far as the Twin Towers.

Is that you Jimmy Carr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Well thousands of people did die on that day including a lot of Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thinly veiled "I hate America " thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,207 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Obviously it's a hugely significant date now, I remember it like it was yesterday and I'll think about all the innocent lives lost but I will just go about my business tomorrow like every other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

cursai wrote: »
    wanted to get in early and hoping people will have more taste tomorrow than to start creating threads about the attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York, USA.
    Every year around this date people come out of theirs caves and change their Facebook pictures to photos of the Two Towers with gaudy patriotic American flags in the background. People who go on holidays in new York and feel they have an association with the place. Or people who wear this mourning period like the latest style of leather jacket to wear or David Beckham knickers.......

What has The Lord of the Rings got to do with anything?

• Advertisement

carly_86 wrote: »
    Well thousands of people did die on that day including a lot of Irish

Its not the first attack where Irish people included died. Its just the most commercial and socially acceptable to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CJC999 wrote: »
    Tomorrow is 11/09/2012. What's the big deal?

I'll get some groceries delivered, am a bit concerned now, they won't make it, because of that date :pac:

jebforever wrote: »
    Obviously it's a hugely significant date now, I remember it like it was yesterday and I'll think about all the innocent lives lost but I will just go about my business tomorrow like every other day.

I remember it because it was HUGELY televised and embarrassingly so.

Sure we mourn the bombings in the north,stardust nightclub, Michael Collins etc why sure the 9 11 be any different

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

...Tuesday?!

jebforever wrote: »

You're gonna create a thread aren't you! Along with one about Kerry football/hurling achievements and how you met the Kerry manager in Mary joes public house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,207 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

You're gonna create a thread aren't you! Along with one about Kerry football/hurling achievements and how you met the Kerry manager in Mary joes public house.

That would be a no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I remember it because it was HUGELY televised and embarrassingly so.

We have remembrance day for World War II too, with loads more documentaries, books and films made about it.

Would you like that cancelled and swept under the rug too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

inmyday wrote: »
    Is that you Jimmy Carr?

Yes.

F*ck you Tax Collecting People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Poor auld building 7 never gets a look in

• Advertisement

We have remembrance day for World War II too, with loads more documentaries, books and films made about it.

Would you like that cancelled and swept under the rug too?

Just everything put into porportion. Which is not your analogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People can do what they like on their Facebook page. The only thing that bothers me on Facebook is when someone in my family uploads an old childhood photo of me with a crap haircut and terrible clothes. I can happily ignore statuses and photos that don't mention me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sure we mourn the bombings in the north,stardust nightclub, Michael Collins etc why sure the 9 11 be any different

Don't know, did somebody Irish die in the 9/11 attacks? That might be a reason then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Lars1916 wrote: »

Don't know, did somebody Irish die in the 9/11 attacks? That might be a reason then

There was a documentary on last night about the Irish that died in the twin towers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well I was in the north tower of the WTC a month before they fell, and my father was in New York the day of the attacks so yeah I kind of consider 9/11 a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Its not the first attack where Irish people included died. Its just the most commercial and socially acceptable to celebrate.

Could you explain this bit?

My Cypriot brother-in-law went out for breakfast that morning and came back to find the building where he worked had collapsed and everyone he worked with had been killed, including some of his best friends, some of who were Irish. If he had been killed, my sister would've been distraught and I wouldn't have my niece and nephew in my life.

Those attacks have affected a lot of people's lives OP. I'm not a supporter of what America did in it's aftermath but Ireland having such strong ties with America and with so many of us over there (my cousin worked close by as a doorman and sister lived in NY at the time), I'm sure my story is not an isolated case.

Whatever about the "**** yeah" American patriotism that it sparked, it was a tragic day that affected many of us directly and it's repercussions have affected all of us to some degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Well OP, this thread has gone a bit Barbara Streisand wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

wanted to get in early and hoping people will
    have more taste
    To get in earlier before anybody else to discuss a subject you don't want anybody else to discuss ?
    Its just the most commercial and socially acceptable to celebrate.
    :confused:

Regards 9/11 OP , people will do whatever they wish to do and it's not for you to suggest that they shouldn't remember this or any tragedy because that's part of what Facebook and forums such as Boards are about . As suggested you don't have to log into anywhere the subject is discussed but that's going to be hard seen as it's going to be all over the web anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Poor auld building 7 never gets a look in

The Pentagon is often forgotten too.
    And Flight 93.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CJC999 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I hate America " thread.
    more of an "I hate 9/11" thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thank you for your thread op. I bought a sliced pan on the way home that says best before the 17th, and had no idea how long it was likely to last. Now I know I'll get the full week out of it.

I don't think what I meant came across right. Basically the whole celebration/mourning of this event gets more creedence and airplay units home and other countries than tragedies that were equal and often times greater in other places. Its like a coke advert at this stage. Or a new brand. The Omagh attack gets far less publicity and sympathy than this one. Even though in comparison it was only one a huge range of events and attacks. I guess its just not marketed properly for spongy minds.

Overheal wrote: »
    more of an "I hate 9/11" thread?

Of course I hate 9/11. What a dumb thing to say. I just don't love it like your suggesting you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Wooo Hooo, USA Fallen Heros Day, send this message to 10 people & get good luck.
    Never Forget

If I remember correctly there was a big wave & a few earthquakes in the noughties that dwarfed 9/11 in terms of death count.
    I'll give 9/11 10% of the respect I give to the tsunami victims.
    Now that was a real tragedy, the families that lost their loved ones & livelihoods didn't get 1.5 million each from their state on top of company insurance & pension payouts.

• Advertisement

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Wooo Hooo, USA Fallen Heros Day, send this message to 10 people & get good luck.
    Never Forget

If I remember correctly there was a big wave & a few earthquakes in the noughties that dwarfed 9/11 in terms of death count.
    I'll give 9/11 10% of the respect I give to the tsunami victims.
    Now that was a real tragedy, the families that lost their loved ones & livelihoods didn't get 1.5 million each from their state on top of company insurance & pension payouts.
    Ye but they were coloured people. Can't sell that. Could be a B movie somewhere though. To be fair that was a natural disaster too not a manmade one. Not to take away for a minute the horrific loss of life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

and people died, their lives lost in the evolving of the planet earth, they contributed to the strengths of the human being, while some died we live, promising to not let this happen again,

but yet we sit by in the billions, letting the hundreds tell us how we should act and how it is going to be, and we wonder how we became extinct,

while we waited for 350 million yrs to get to the top of the chain, just to give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Being in America I suppose I find it hard to relate to the gripes because I've only heard 9/11 mentioned twice in the last week. One was talking about the release of the Navy Seals book and the other was this morning on the drive to work that there was going to be a field with a flag per person killed near the city I live in.

Last year being in Ireland there was a lot of attention for it. TV3, RTE, Discovery, History, BBC, Channel 4 channel and Sky 1 all ran documentaries. As of Friday, I hadn't seen any show on US television around the day. So I think your gripes should be aimed at the channel providers rather than American patriotism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

FIFA 13 demo is out tomorrow, whoo hoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The Americans have always had the penchant to oversell this stuff, it's just how it works over there. I completely agree that that's something to be railed against. On the other hand the event itself was massive and highly visible, with far reaching repercussions spanning many parts of the globe. Comparisons with other events are going to end up belittling the other event, so I don't know why you're going down that road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Tomorrow is 11/9 actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Well I won't be changing my Facebook profile pic to an American flag and I doubt my brother-in-law (who I mentioned in my previous post) will either...or anyone I know, in fact. Most people won't make a song and dance about it and will just remember it for the tragedy it was.

Zab wrote: »
    The Americans have always had the penchant to oversell this stuff, it's just how it works over there. I completely agree that that's something to be railed against. On the other hand the event itself was massive and highly visible, with far reaching repercussions spanning many parts of the globe. Comparisons with other events are going to end up belittling the other event, so I don't know why you're going down that road.

Good point but what you said is exactly what annoys me too. country that created violence and expects and gets a whole lot more sympathy and respect for the violence it itself endures. Its wrong and fked up. but the the worst thing is people who are fickle and unaffected by it give it more priority and emotion than stuff that has happened closer to their own home. I especially hate the stories that are given. As in my cousins ex girlfriends first grade teachers was buying a hotdog two blocks away when it happened. As if that would make it more real for them. Or the stories that are given which are more closely related. As if they can be taken as fact. But people take a sick perverse joy in sharing them.
    Its mad. ironically I know a lad whose ain't was killed in the Omaha bombings. He doesn't relate any cheap sympathy stories. Maybe he has class or maybe he's not such a big consumer of death sympathy.

See my earlier statement. I'm in America. I have all of the major channels. As of this weekend none we're running 9/11 based shows. Point your finger at penny pinching from the Irish and English channels. They have the shows in the can and have an excuse to show them....so America is not over-selling anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Good point but what you said is exactly what annoys me too. country that created violence and expects and gets a whole lot more sympathy and respect for the violence it itself endures. Its wrong and fked up. but the the worst thing is people who are fickle and unaffected by it give it more priority and emotion than stuff that has happened closer to their own home. I especially hate the stories that are given. As in my cousins ex girlfriends first grade teachers was buying a hotdog two blocks away when it happened. As if that would make it more real for them. Or the stories that are given which are more closely related. As if they can be taken as fact. But people take a sick perverse joy in sharing them.
    Its mad. ironically I know a lad whose ain't was killed in the Omaha bombings. He doesn't relate any cheap sympathy stories. Maybe he has class or maybe he's not such a big consumer of death sympathy.

A lot of this is explainable just by the sheer numbers that witnessed the event, either because they were there (city of millions with the events taking place high in the sky) or because they watched the second plane go in live on TV. However, it's pretty ironic that you're bringing up the fact that you have a friend whose aunt was killed in the Omagh bombing given the point you're trying to make. I do remain pretty cynical when I see Americans waving flags, though.
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    See my earlier statement. I'm in America. I have all of the major channels. As of this weekend none we're running 9/11 based shows. Point your finger at penny pinching from the Irish and English channels. They have the shows in the can and have an excuse to show them....so America is not over-selling anything.

Well, you seem to have missed National Geographic having some sort of 9/11 frenzy over the weekend. I dare say you missed other shows too. I've drawn no conclusions from anything I've seen on Irish or British TV, as I haven't been watching any, however my statement was clearly not referring to anything concrete in the US this year anyway.

A lot of this is explainable just by the sheer numbers that witnessed the event, either because they were there (city of millions with the events taking place high in the sky) or because they watched the second plane go in live on TV. However, it's pretty ironic that you're bringing up the fact that you have a friend whose aunt was killed in the Omagh bombing given the point you're trying to make. I do remain pretty cynical when I see Americans waving flags, though.

Well, you seem to have missed National Geographic having some sort of 9/11 frenzy over the weekend. I dare say you missed other shows too. I've drawn no conclusions from anything I've seen on Irish or British TV, as I haven't been watching any, however my statement was clearly not referring to anything concrete in the US this year anyway.

Its does.seem coincidental but we are in a small.country and he is Co. Derry. I can see why someone would be cynical. The point remains though. What makes people so infatuated with this event. I don't mean because of clear TV coverage or international American pushing of it. But where's the perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Anyone have a link to the thread that was running on the actual day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Of course I hate 9/11. What a dumb thing to say. I just don't love it like your suggesting you do.
    I'm sorry, did you direct that comment at me?

Yeah I did. I don't have National Geographic. They might be showing stuff. they showed a lot of stuff at home

• Advertisement
Advertisement