Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUSINESS COMPUTING (DT354) or COMPUTING (DT211)

Options
  • 10-09-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello , new to this . doing my leaving cert next year and im wondering what course is
    -Better for job prospects
    -and would doing a PLC in it programming help as i have never done it before

any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

cant comment on which is better, but there is no need to do a PLC as programming will be taught from the very beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mayoman1995

thanks for the reply . any one else have any info about the course

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

im on dt211 (just started) but the programming is from scratch and so is everything else so your ok. Business computing is for people who dont dont know exactly what to do but want some experience with computers dt211 is for people who definetly want to do computers. more jobs in computing dt211 but theres a lot in business computing so dont worry. business computing is 80% computers and 20% business. if you want more info just ask :)

hello , thanks for replying . what are the hours like . is there many people on the course , and where are you from and staying

my hours are ok their is a lot of hours but im never in too early (11am most days) but that depends on what lab group you are in.http://imgur.com/a/I5PqP this is a copy of our timetable according to each group. (im in group C). theres 68 on the course which is ok i still dont know everyone but its easy to get to know people. Im from dublin so I can cycle in but i have friends living all over dublin renting just depends on what you want to spend on costs and stuff (eg. bus fare adds up)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Business computing is for people who dont dont know exactly what to do but want some experience with computers
    SNIP
    business computing is 80% computers and 20% business.

just stumbled across this thread from the front page.
    I think you may be wrong saying busn computing is for people who don't know what to do.
    Go to irishjobs.ie and search for business analyst. Traditional computer programmers are often viewed as having poor social skills and poor understanding of the requirements of the users they are developing programs for. Therefore it would be useful to have both business and I.T skills, particularly in areas like software engineering, project management, business analysis, etc.
    Also, programming is increasingly being outsourced to india, so in future the more lucrative jobs will be given to people with a good understanding of the big picture of systems and not just being a hardcore programmer.

Just another point of view.

ecribs wrote: »
    my hours are ok their is a lot of hours but im never in too early (11am most days) but that depends on what lab group you are in.http://imgur.com/a/I5PqP this is a copy of our timetable according to each group. (im in group C). theres 68 on the course which is ok i still dont know everyone but its easy to get to know people. Im from dublin so I can cycle in but i have friends living all over dublin renting just depends on what you want to spend on costs and stuff (eg. bus fare adds up)

thanks for a quick reply . yeah alot of long day even friday . do you no anyone doing busness computing

tony81 wrote: »
    just stumbled across this thread from the front page.
    I think you may be wrong saying busn computing is for people who don't know what to do.
    Go to irishjobs.ie and search for business analyst. Traditional computer programmers are often viewed as having poor social skills and poor understanding of the requirements of the users they are developing programs for. Therefore it would be useful to have both business and I.T skills, particularly in areas like software engineering, project management, business analysis, etc.
    Also, programming is increasingly being outsourced to india, so in future the more lucrative jobs will be given to people with a good understanding of the big picture of systems and not just being a hardcore programmer.

I agree although our course has a comminications module so that we can prove we can comunicate but what i meant to say that computing is more for people that know they want to computers and stuff but business computing is for people that think they might or arent sure. A lot of software is used and it is mainly just what programs are used in business. but yes it is useful to have business infact i was thinking about doing that course. but yes i do agree with what you were saying my message is just all over the place

thanks for a quick reply . yeah alot of long day even friday . do you no anyone doing busness computing

yeah its a long day but I forgot to mention we have tutorials to revise calsses we might not have understand so on friday for example the last class at 1600 is a tutorial so its not obliagtory to go unless your lost or have questions. same on monday with programing etc. No i dont I know somone doing it but i looking at the timetable its around 25 with a lot of 2 3 hour lectures and stuff

yeah its a long day but I forgot to mention we have tutorials to revise calsses we might not have understand so on friday for example the last class at 1600 is a tutorial so its not obliagtory to go unless your lost or have questions. same on monday with programing etc. No i dont I know somone doing it but i looking at the timetable its around 25 with a lot of 2 3 hour lectures and stuff

thanks . oh i understand . okay could you link me to the timetable

• Advertisement

go to: webtimetables.dit.ie
    then username: students
    password: timetables
    from there click where it says HERE to view...
    then timetable type is programme
    Class group code is dt354
    whatever year you want.... (i put in 1)
    then week range is 4-16
    then go view graphic and your sorted :)

go to: webtimetables.dit.ie
    then username: students
    password: timetables
    from there click where it says HERE to view...
    then timetable type is programme
    Class group code is dt354
    whatever year you want.... (i put in 1)
    then week range is 4-16
    then go view graphic and your sorted :)
    thanks

Advertisement