Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Username that's too long - breaking layout

Options
  • 10-09-2012 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Has the link been moved somewhere I can't spot?

Development was where you posted stuff about the working of the site.

Where can I report a user name that is way too long? (it messes up the page format)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=586221#

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm intriguing, not in the drop down menu (old boards template).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

So here we are gentlemen, and I hear you wanted to report a bug? :)

If you're talking about a username that is 37 characters and all in capitals then yeah, we'll be changing that one to something less SHOUTY very soon :D

Okay its a minor enough matter but it appears one can use a name as long as you like which leads to TOIRDHEALBHACH TADHG O CAOINDEALBHAIN happening which messes up the new posts page format.

I notice the user name is "stacked" on the threads, can same be done on "get new posts" pages?

• Advertisement

Whoops! Thread merger excitement!

Lowercase'd that username for the sanity of Boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Jaysus, is that actually a real irish name?

Jaysus, is that actually a real irish name?

You're all caps too? You win this round FETARD ...:pac:

And yes, it's an actual Irish name. Toirdhealbhachi is Turlough/Terence, Tadhg is Tadhg/Tim and I guess the rest should be O'Caoindealbhain except we don't allow apostrophes. That's Irish for the surname Quinlivan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Seriously tho - do you need a forum name that long?

(yes I'm looking at you whoopsadaisydoodles!) :pac:

• Advertisement

Just from a practical point of view you'd think a maximum limit of say 15 characters would be imposed.

Someone at some point will register with SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch just for the laugh.

mike65 wrote: »
    Just from a practical point of view you'd think a maximum limit of say 15 characters would be imposed.

Someone at some point will register with SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch just for the laugh.

Have you read the guidelines for creating a username recently? 14 characters maximum per word is one of the rules. The maximum overall length is 45 characters I believe, though many stay well under it.

Danny

I just tried for supercal....
    • Usernames can be between 3 and 40 characters
    • No word can be more than 14 characters long
    • There is a maximum of 4 words per username
    • No profanity or URL is allowed
    • The use of Boards or Adverts in usernames is not permitted
    It wouldn't let me:(:pac:

Have you read the guidelines for creating a username recently? 14 characters maximum per word is one of the rules. The maximum overall length is 45 characters I believe, though many stay well under it.

Danny

Amazingly no! :p I never read charters never mind guidelines.

Amazingly no! :p I never read charters never mind guidelines.

How have you lasted so long? :pac:

The most annoying thing about that username was the caps, the rest of it fits the guidelines so there's not a whole lot to be done about it I'm afraid.

Danny

You're all caps too? You win this round FETARD ...:pac:
    I just fitted in, the D going underneath would've been eek.png.
    And yes, it's an actual Irish name. Toirdhealbhachi is Turlough/Terence, Tadhg is Tadhg/Tim and I guess the rest should be O'Caoindealbhain except we don't allow apostrophes. That's Irish for the surname Quinlivan.
    You speak Irish?

Google wouldn't Translate it, having it say it back is abit like listening to someone coming round from wisdom tooth removal.:pac:

You speak Irish?

Google wouldn't Translate it, having it say it back is abit like listening to someone coming round from wisdom tooth removal.:pac:

Afraid not, but a quick trip to Google/Focal.ie helped me out this evening - I was curious :P

Afraid not, but a quick trip to Google/Focal.ie helped me out this evening - I was curious :P
    I'm only just after spotting the pic of all ye guys...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can I suggest that 40 characters is too long?

Victor wrote: »
    Can I suggest that 40 characters is too long?

You may, but we lowered it already. Further lowering may happen, but not for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is what was annoying me. :) Yes, I had the text enlarged slightly.

It's a layout issue not a length issue :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement