Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

augustus quit log

Options
  • 10-09-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi all, like most here I am fed up to the back teeth with the fags and have decided to stop messing about and quit them for once all.
    A little background: 30 year old male, of reasonable health (well as healthy as a smoker can be) engaged to the married on the 28th Dec 2013. Have quit several times but went back on them due to various reasons.
    The main motivation is my fiance, she is a very patient non smoker, and much to my shame she is asthmatic, and although I would never smoke in the house, I am sure I am not helping her.
    I am sure the help received here along with trying to help others will only keep all of us focused!

Day 1: feeling positive about this decision! things can only be positive!!

Good Luck everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Day 2:
    I am currently unemployed so I am nervous about filling my time, and keeping busy enough. But I am back to work next week, so stick it out for now and things will be fine!
    A positive mindframe will be the key to success when it comes to quitting smoking!

Day 2:
    Probably the most practical way to post will be at the days end, of maybe at any stage at a point of momentary weakness just to reaffirm the logic that smoking is a terrible lifestyle choice that not only negatively effects you put also many friends and loved ones!
    24 hours on the dry so to speak and just had GAA training, good session, and I am looking forward to getting more of that guck outta my lungs, club has a 7km run at the end of the month and I am hoping to put in a good showing now Im smoke free.
    I joined the pool and gym at the national aquatic centre last week as I have to learn how to swim among other reasons, 280e for 6 months.... equates to just over 1 months smoking for me.
    It really is a no brainer.
    Good Luck people!

Day 3:
    well thats another one done! As the weeks go by I will probably post less and less. today was a good day. Never spent too much time dwelling on not smoking, went to the gym and left with a chesty cough which I can only assume is a good thing. Feeling good from alot of praise from my fiance!
    day 3 over savings to date 27.60e
    good luck everyone!

Day 4:
    having a beer before bed and happy to report another day smoke free, and thank god no cravings. Have put on a kilo or 2 but dont mind that as i have overdoses on the bikkies with my tea as to forget about the lovely smoke with a cuppa!
    After day 4 your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
    good luck people!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Hey Augustus,

Just quit myself this morning. All going fine so far, apart from the odd outburst that I believe wouldn't happen if I was a smoker. Thing is, I was in rotten form yesterday, and I was smoking then so who's to say that all outbursts while off the cigs are related to cigs. Rather start a new thread, I thought I'd hijack yours since we have similar start dates, and will likely have similar stories.

Anyway, similar story to yourself. 34 years of age, long time smoker. Gave up for a period of over 9 months previously (during my wife's pregnancy I went out in sympathy). After the birth of our twins we both succumbed to the weed and went back on them.

I have so many reasons for quitting. A list below, not necessarily in the right order:
    I don't like being a smoker, and I would hate to think that my kids would look to me as their role model eventually becoming the influential factor in them becoming smokers.
    My dad was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. While smoking isn't the primary reason he has contracted cancer, I feel his suffering will be in vain if he continues to see me puffing away.
    I will be running the dublin marathon in October, and my goal of 3.30 will be far easier to accomplish with the bundles more energy I'll have.
    Financially. Need I say more.
    My own health, regardless of how my dad's health is progressing.
    Travelling with work, meetings, etc will be so much easier. Each time I'm in an airport I have to consider whether I should check in sooner or later because I'll have to cope for longer without smoking. Same with meetings. Ridiculous carry on, but the same goes for most smokers.

Anyway, good luck to you Augustus. I'll keep checking back here, and similarly to yourself will likely post in the evenings. Hope you don't mind the hijack:)

• Advertisement

Hey guinang!
    delighted to have you drop in, I was not at the laptop at the weekend, the missus and I had an anniversary;)
    Please feel free to post here anytime, and that goes for anyone reading this, good stories or bad, just maybe someone might learn something or get motivated by even 1 sentence. I certainly hope I gather inspiration from others, quitting would be so hard on ones own.
    I am very sorry to hear about your father, 2.5 years ago I buried my grandfather, he was 87 but he died not of old age but lung cancer. I felt so pityfull leaving his room and lighting up. If nothing else it was a real slap in the face to my own father, who was watching his father die, and also watching his own son kill himself! Crazy!!
    Anyway, good luck, and keep going! Your father will remain in my thoughts.

Hey gus,

Assume you're still off the cigs. Fair play considering the weekend and all. Ta for the kind words and thoughts. 87 was some innings for your g/dad. I'd be happy enough with my lot after 87 years. Can't hve been easy to watch him go through is battl though.

I have found it ok going being off the cigs so far. In fact more than ok. I don't seem to be too agitated. There are moments, but by and large, it's all good.
    Have done a couple of runs too. First was ok because it was a recovery run after my long run at the weekend. Today's felt more difficult. I was runnin 7 minute miles but chest felt heavy and a little wheezy. Got around the 5 miles ok but was hard work. Once the gunk in my lungs clears I expect training to be a lot easier.

Hope you're keeping well too gus, and more importantly keeping off the dreaded weed. Later.

Day 5 and still feeling pretty good about giving up the cigs. In fact, the only stumbling block I fear now is drink, and even then I'm confident I'm not going back on the smokes. Been off them a few times before so I know too well how quickly you can fall back in to that trap.

Days 3 & 4 certainly felt more irritable then the previous days. I went to bed early last night though, just to make sure nothing I'm not adding to my woes with lack of sleep thrown in. I think it's all downhill from here.

Managed to clock up 35 miles this week in the running. Happy with that. I thought I'd be a mess out running with wheezing but I've been fine. No run last night because I did 10.5 miles of Weds and felt my calves a little stiff. My big run (17 miles this week) is on Saturday so want to make sure I'm recovered for that. Really looking forward to my big run this week. Apart from the slight calf strain, I can already feel the increase in energy levels.

Day 6 and still going strong. Well.....kinda.

Nah it's all good. Convinced that I'm done with cigs. Running is going well too. In fact really well. Ran 17 miles on m long run today and felt quite comfortable at the end of it.

Day 9....

My final post. I am still off the cigs, and still feel great about the decision to quit them. I had a tough day Sunday, but once that was out of the way, it made me even more determined than before. Running is still going very well, and I'm hoping to do a 13 mile run this evening. DCM sub 330 is looking good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement