Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a complaint about a billboard in Drogheda?

Options
  • 10-09-2012 6:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know who I'd contact to register a complaint about a billboard in Drogheda that's displaying an ad that, imo, is hugely insensitive? Without wanting to start a big debate better suited to After Hours, there's a particular ad after being put up by the trainstation which presses all the right wrong buttons with me :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone know who I'd contact to register a complaint about a billboard in Drogheda that's displaying an ad that, imo, is hugely insensitive? Without wanting to start a big debate better suited to After Hours, there's a particular ad after being put up by the trainstation which presses all the right wrong buttons with me :P

I believe it's the ASAI - the advertising standards association of ireland.

What is on it / what is it for so I can look out for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As I said, I really don't want to start a debate on the matter. But it's a pro-life poster....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

You can complain all you want but there's no valid grounds to have it removed... not agreeing with it isn't one.

You can complain all you want but there's no valid grounds to have it removed... not agreeing with it isn't one.

I don't think this is true.

The ASAI investigate and if they agree it is offensive then it could be removed.

Not agreeing with something is different from something offending you.

For example: I could be pro-life. But do I want to see a poster with a picture of an aborted foetus?? No sir! as pro life as I may be, I could still find the picture offensive and upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't think this is true.

The ASAI investigate and if they agree it is offensive then it could be removed.

Not agreeing with something is different from something offending you.

For example: I could be pro-life. But do I want to see a poster with a picture of an aborted foetus?? No sir! as pro life as I may be, I could still find the picture offensive and upsetting.
    People have complained about these already.

• Advertisement

Cool. A few more complaints can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

As I said, I really don't want to start a debate on the matter. But it's a pro-life poster....

Similar stuff goes on inside commuter trains too - they have religious folks advertising religious stuff, mostly rabble but sometimes accusing and something threatening, all in the process of trying trying to recruit more people to their group or cult or whatever. I ignored these for years, but then one fellow commuter just decided on my behalf that I need help and handed me a leaflet inviting me to come and join his sect/cult's gathering. I should be offended, but I thought it was funny, and slightly sad, but mostly funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Pics people! Please don't make me have to drive by!

It's not so much that I don't agree with it. It's more to do with the fact that such posters can cause distress to people who have had to have abortions for one reason or another. Such posters, pushing the agenda of either side of the debate, can be damaging to the mindsets of some people, and it's not something that people of such nature should have to deal with as they drive past the train station.

EDIT: Googling "Drogheda Pro-Life Poster" acually yeilds results; top one is an article that makes me roll my eyes, but it does provide a picture of said poster (Though from a different location).

Pro-Life-6024-390x285.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

*snip*

Mod note - In future, read the OP before posting.

• Advertisement

I thought Teamshadowclan clearly explained exactly that saying this, and I totally agree:
    It's not so much that I don't agree with it. It's more to do with the fact that such posters can cause distress to people who have had to have abortions for one reason or another. Such posters, pushing the agenda of either side of the debate, can be damaging to the mindsets of some people, and it's not something that people of such nature should have to deal with as they drive past the train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

The photo is insensitive. It's very likely to upset both women who have had abortions, and women who have suffered miscarriages. It's unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I read somewhere that the proper permissions to reproduce the pictures in this ad campaign were not sought so there could be some hot water for Youth Defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The photo is insensitive. It's very likely to upset both women who have had abortions, and women who have suffered miscarriages. It's unnecessary.
    Same could be said for any picture of a baby or toddler. Several maternal products have used an image of a foetus for marketing and there's no outcry to ban these.

I think it's the message you find insensitive rather than the pic. Abortion is an extremely sensitive and passionate issue. It's very difficult for either side to run a campaign without somehow offending the other.

Is this ad so insensitive as to warrant a ban? Absolutely not IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

you think a photo of a baby is as insensitive as that poster? good man scotty

no, I don't think either of them are insensitive.

I don't understand how it can't be seen as insensitive. Surely if someone has had an abortion that poster is going to cause them distress, do you think it wont? whether you agree with abortions or not surely you can still see how it's being insensitive?!

Rossin wrote: »
    I don't understand how it can't be seen as insensitive.
    You're missing my point...

It's not insensitive to ME. It's not insensitive to lots of people and certainly not to enough that it should be banned.

Yes, it may be insensitive and distressing to some but the same could be said for lots of things, like, the image of a baby to someone who's baby has died.

Should we ban everything that may cause some people distress? Of course not.

okay sorry, I still think the posters are out of line but I do get your point now!

Nothing wrong with the poster imo and the world is gone mad with people complaining about every little thing they dont like.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with the poster imo and the world is gone mad with people complaining about every little thing they dont like.

Doesn't that logic also make that poster wrong? :D

Listen, I got the info I wanted, and I said I didn't want the debate. Thanks to those who helped. If a mod wants to lock the topic then, I'd appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

Theres a thread up about this somewhere else..thinks its the ladies lounge...seems to upset quite a few people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement