Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race 2012

Options
  • 10-09-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Anyone signed up for it? Looking forward to this one, haven't done it before.

Anyone know what sort of gains are in the 8km Torc Mountain run? I'm on target for the bike/kayak sections so just need to focus more on the running now!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

I am going to this Really looking forward to it , only doing the short course though as Wife is coming along too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

i hiked torc a few years back...dont remember it being too taxing...although this was the time when Carrauntoohill was a stroll...

Havent done any kayak training...dont plan on either! Concentrating on bike and run!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well somehow ive gotten talked into doing the 57km one :pac: what is the required level of fitness id need for this? i am a pretty avid cyclist but when it comes to running i definitely aint no great shakes

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mavic09

As a first time adventure racer I was wondering 1) what type of footwear should be worn? 2) for the bike section, there is a mention of gravel- does that mean a racer would not be a good choice?

Mavic09 wrote: »
    As a first time adventure racer I was wondering 1) what type of footwear should be worn? 2) for the bike section, there is a mention of gravel- does that mean a racer would not be a good choice?

I've been on to them and was told a road bike is the most ideal whereas a mountain bike is the least ideal. Im using a racer for sure. Footwear, Im just wearing trainers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I haven't done the Killarney Race before, but basing my info on previous adventure races (done the Wicklow one last weekend) and researched Killarney a good bit since starting this thread!
    well somehow ive gotten talked into doing the 57km one :pac: what is the required level of fitness id need for this? i am a pretty avid cyclist but when it comes to running i definitely aint no great shakes

By the sounds of it you'll be fine for the cycling although there will be a number of testing hills on the route. In terms of running, Torc Mountain will be difficult but as the incline increases many people stop running and just hike the remainder of the mountain and then run back down it.

I'd recommend getting in around three mid distance runs (7-10k) taking in hills on your route too (if possible). Then a couple of shorter distance runs (3-5k) on the days leading up to the race.

I'll be wearing trail runners, I'm sure runners will be fine but it'll get slippy on the mountain runs especially on the descent. I'd recommend getting a pair but it's up to you!

As said previously, racer is the best choice. The gravel section is probably only a couple hundred metres of gravel around the kayak section.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mavic09

Sound lads for the steer, as for there been only 100m of gravel thats fine- racing bike it is.
    Just looking at the photos from last year two more questions popped into me head 1) do most people run in cyclin shorts 2) it appears some people are running without a backpack- how can they fit all the gear (as listed on the website) into their jerseys'- is their some adventure racer's trick to this? Any chance you can let me know what this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Sound lads for the steer, as for there been only 100m of gravel thats fine- racing bike it is.
    Just looking at the photos from last year two more questions popped into me head 1) do most people run in cyclin shorts 2) it appears some people are running without a backpack- how can they fit all the gear (as listed on the website) into their jerseys'- is their some adventure racer's trick to this? Any chance you can let me know what this is?

1) From what I've seen, most elites wear cycling jersey + cycling shorts. I personally wear padded cycling shorts + normal shorts over them.

2) I'm only basing this on the Wicklow Adventure Race but a number of people that had backpacks left them at the transition area with their bike for the running sections.

That is what i do Tri Shorts and cycling top and on the running sections i leave the backpack in the transition area . That is depending on the race though some you have to bring them on the run .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

stevire wrote: »
    I haven't done the Killarney Race before, but basing my info on previous adventure races (done the Wicklow one last weekend) and researched Killarney a good bit since starting this thread!

By the sounds of it you'll be fine for the cycling although there will be a number of testing hills on the route. In terms of running, Torc Mountain will be difficult but as the incline increases many people stop running and just hike the remainder of the mountain and then run back down it.

I'd recommend getting in around three mid distance runs (7-10k) taking in hills on your route too (if possible). Then a couple of shorter distance runs (3-5k) on the days leading up to the race.

I'll be wearing trail runners, I'm sure runners will be fine but it'll get slippy on the mountain runs especially on the descent. I'd recommend getting a pair but it's up to you!

As said previously, racer is the best choice. The gravel section is probably only a couple hundred metres of gravel around the kayak section.

7-10k runs...no bother sure :pac: i take it you can just start walking if you cant run right? i can do 100k+ cycles fairly handy but running..."i love running" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

1250 people signed up with 25 relay teams bringing it close to 1300. That's 3 times last years number, catching up on Gaelforce and its only the second year. Want to be up at the front of the wave for strickeem or else it will be mayhem on the way up. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

I see that the bike transition area has moved to the end of a gravel path that's 500 m long.

I'm not sure whether this should influence bike choice. Will it be possible to ride on this on a road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JayCee001

Long shot this but don't suppose anyone is travelling from Dublin to Killarney anytime after noon tomorrow and would be able to give me a lift with my bike. My travel plans have fallen through but am happy to throw some money towards petrol costs if someone can help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

Great race.

Weather was fantastic once the fog burned off.

Scenery was magic.

Pity the kayak section was cut short.

Feeling sore today but happy.

former wrote: »
    Great race.

Weather was fantastic once the fog burned off.

Scenery was magic.

Pity the kayak section was cut short.

Feeling sore today but happy.

Agreed really enjoyable race will be back next year for more .Legs are still feeling it a bit today as well.

what a great day for it... the weather, the people, everyone involved, was just a top day. Cant wait for KAR13!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Signing up for the 57km route for 2013, first time trying one of these so a little apprehensive about it. I'm hoping to get a bit of insight from some previous competitors, firstly, how tough is the climb on the first run and second, I'll be using a hybrid bike and would not have a lot of cycling done to date, is there a lot of climbing in the cycling route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oconnorbrian1

There is one big long climb for the cycle up to Molls Gap and a lot of little hard climbs in between. My legs were fairly heavy for the cycle (admittedly wasn't fit enough) after the first run up Strickeen. A road bike is the way to go as there is only a few hundred metres off road on way to kayak. A great experience and harder than Gaelforce!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Thanks oconnorbrian1, how did you find the run up Torc? Would you get away with normal trainers for the running, sorry for all the questions but there is nothing like experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oconnorbrian1

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Thanks oconnorbrian1, how did you find the run up Torc? Would you get away with normal trainers for the running, sorry for all the questions but there is nothing like experience..

I wore trail runners as Strickeen was fairly wet and mucky. Torc was actually fairly dry as there is a path to the top of the waterfall and the trail on mountain run is all sleepers. I trekked up Torc for big parts of it and ran down. Was happy enough with my time as well considering I hadn't trained enough for it. Did it in 5 hours 40.

• Advertisement
Advertisement