Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 Mls (161Km) Reliability TT.

• 10-09-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

I eventually got around to do this Saturday in 20-22 degrees and a southerly 19Km wind. Total time = 04:52:05. Av sp = 33 Km/h

I have written a report here if anyone interested.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13Hpxk3egY6u_Mul0sVY-zX5KFcCpmNZviHXKE1Y7Z6s/edit

If anyone out there has experience of similar or 12 / 24 hour non stop timed events I would be interested to hear advice on what training/natural products you use to delay the fatigue I felt after 4 hours. I lost 5 minutes in the final 40Km. For example I am thinking if I had taken an electrolyte instead of water before starting I may not have cramped.
    Would 2 ltr juice be enough for 5 hours in 20 degrees?.
    What is your preferred air temperature for an event like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Just read your report, you're flying performance wise, but you have massive room for improvement nutrition/hydration wise!

I couldn't be further from an expert on cycling, but have a good idea of sports nutrition from previous sports I've played and general interest reading.

Firstly, do you pre-hydrate? If not, start! It'll take a while to get used to it, but I'd normally drink about 5 liters of water, sometimes more, during the day before a race in the evening, and about 3 liters before a morning club spin. Means I only go through 2/3rds of a bottle during a 40km race, and 1.5 bottles during a long club spin.

Secondly, you'll need more than just 2 bananas for a 160km TT! No question about it! If you don't use energy gels, start! They don't take up much space and are light. High5 ones are the most palatable. I went through 2 in a 40km TT, so maybe 4 for a 100km TT and one of your bananas.

As for an electrolyte drink, I don't think Ireland gets hot enough to use them, but if you like them then keep using them.

You really need a better recovery too, an electrolyte drink isn't enough, you need a recovery shake after effort like that, 2 parts carbs (glucose/fructose/etc) to 1 part protein, a good quality whey protein (optimum nutrition or kinetica) with glucose from the baking isle in tesco is perfect, that's what I use. And then eat a proper balanced meal within the following hour.

Hope this helps you achieve your goals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

@ colm_gti.
    That is a lot of water for one day and roughly what I would drink in a week. (Half a litre in the morning for me and that's it).The 2 bananas I had were kiddies size also, so I guess I wasn't doing myself any favours. I have been getting by on 500ml on the bike + my reserves because all of my road races are between 70 and 80 Km and I don't do sportifs or training spins greater than 100Km any more. I think I prepared too casually for the 160Km and got caught out.
    I have a chance to put some of this into practice as I have another 80Km TT on Sunday so I will put water and pasta on the menu before that and hope it makes a difference. Thanks for contributing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

@ colm_gti.
    That is a lot of water for one day and roughly what I would drink in a week. (Half a litre in the morning for me and that's it).

That is nowhere near enough dude! Hydration is key!

Advertisement