Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

susi stupidity

Options
  • 10-09-2012 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi all. I recently got accepted on a college course. After applying to susi I received a phone call from a lady today stating that I must re-apply as a dependant as I live with my parents. IM 28! My younger sister got her grant denied because my father earned too much last year. obviously my father is not willing to pay my fees. My understanding was that if an individual was on social welfare and above the age of 25 they would automaticaly qualify. It looks as though the government don't want to give the small amount for the grant but would rather if an individual was looking for rent allowance too. It doesn't make sense to me. Anyway I lost my cool with the lady on the phone and told her to stick it up her a*s, so it doesnt look like I will be re-applying. Has anybody found themselves in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

mc gripen wrote: »
    Hi all. I recently got accepted on a college course. After applying to susi I received a phone call from a lady today stating that I must re-apply as a dependant as I live with my parents. IM 28! My younger sister got her grant denied because my father earned too much last year. obviously my father is not willing to pay my fees. My understanding was that if an individual was on social welfare and above the age of 25 they would automaticaly qualify. It looks as though the government don't want to give the small amount for the grant but would rather if an individual was looking for rent allowance too. It doesn't make sense to me. Anyway I lost my cool with the lady on the phone and told her to stick it up her a*s, so it doesnt look like I will be re-applying. Has anybody found themselves in the same situation?

Sorry, but that is the rule. If you live at home it's based on your parents income. Also, even if you are under 23 and don't live at home it is based on them. It's stupid. Check the limits on studentfinance.ie to see if you might qualify on your dads income. Really sucks, I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

I'm in exactly the same position. Does anyone know the income threshold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Income limits can vary depending on the number of children in the family.

Info on all rates here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Income limits can vary depending on the number of children in the family.

Info on all rates here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

Exactly, check the PDF file attached by paperclip2 as it may help you greatly. But since your sis was denied, you are 99% likely to be in the same boat with her unless she didnt fill the Grant form correctly and some mistakes were made.

As for you applying that you live with you parents, they must assess your application with your family income limits including savings, farmlands, house, anything you can think of!

Advice: if you wanna still pursue an education next year, you've got to start living independently immediately, unless you re willing to pay the fees!. It is crucial!.. You can defer your course and start it next year!

Deferring your course will give you an automatic acceptance for that course next year and living independently from now will also give you an automatic Free Fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rasta frog

Its either one excuse or the other with SUSI and honestly I do find their whole governance a bit preposterous. They seem to be contradicting themselves as they have recently asked me to provide proof of my previous education after previously asking for over 6 documents which i had provided. I was with the notion that, that should be the role of the university who had already offered me a place.

• Advertisement

rasta frog wrote: »
    Its either one excuse or the other with SUSI and honestly I do find their whole governance a bit preposterous. They seem to be contradicting themselves as they have recently asked me to provide proof of my previous education after previously asking for over 6 documents which i had provided. I was with the notion that, that should be the role of the university who had already offered me a place.

You are right but not 100%, they asked you for proof of your previous education to know what kinda grant you'll be getting. Its part of the assessment in your case. Their are different kinda grant you know, Maintenance and Fee Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I'm not sure if this will happen but if SUSI look for customer feedback folks, absolutely make the most of it.

I know teething problems were to be expected as its a brand new system but so many people seem to be having problems with the application process that its getting a bit ridiculous, not to mention stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rasta frog

You are right but not 100%, they asked you for proof of your previous education to know what kinda grant you'll be getting. Its part of the assessment in your case. Their are different kinda grant you know, Maintenance and Fee Grant
    Thanks for the reassurance Michelle

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

PaperClip, Im not sure the feedback would be processed correctly. And who knows if we would ever hear back LOL :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mc gripen

Thousands of individuals claiming rent allowance just to get the grant sounds like madness. For a country thats on its knees its funny how they want people to take more than what they asked for. After an e-mail to the Taoiseach's office I was surprised to get a reply stating that the matter has been brought to the attention of the minister for education Ruiri Quinn who will look into the problem. Hopefully some changes will be made. Obviously it wont help the people needing grants this year but maybe there will be less money wasted in the future.

• Advertisement

rasta frog wrote: »
    Thanks for the reassurance Michelle

You re welcome, my job to help "adults" that needs help the most :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I applied for my grant through the Dublin City Council (as I started college before they changed the format), but it's equally as tiresome trying to jump through all the hoops they set up for you and in many respects, it does feels like they're trying to avoid people going to college! But sure if we're not in college what are we doing, sitting on the dole? I had a big blow out with them over back to education allowance which I couldn't get, but in fairness, I did avoid telling any of them to insert the grant money up their rectum.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I applied for my grant through the Dublin City Council (as I started college before they changed the format), but it's equally as tiresome trying to jump through all the hoops they set up for you and in many respects, it does feels like they're trying to avoid people going to college! But sure if we're not in college what are we doing, sitting on the dole? I had a big blow out with them over back to education allowance which I couldn't get, but in fairness, I did avoid telling any of them to insert the grant money up their rectum.

"I did avoid telling any of them to insert the grant money up their rectum" haha hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's not SUSI stupidity. They're applying the rules that if you live with your parents then you are assessed as a dependent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thousands of individuals claiming rent allowance just to get the grant sounds like madness. For a country thats on its knees its funny how they want people to take more than what they asked for. After an e-mail to the Taoiseach's office I was surprised to get a reply stating that the matter has been brought to the attention of the minister for education Ruiri Quinn who will look into the problem. Hopefully some changes will be made. Obviously it wont help the people needing grants this year but maybe there will be less money wasted in the future.

What are you talking about? That you can afford to pay rent does not mean that others can. By the way, do you pay your rent or your parent pays on your behalf?

People in receipt of rent allowance are more like to be unemployed and cant afford the rent. Maybe you dont know but unemployed people do not get a Maintenance Grant!. They just get college fees paid on their behalf!. Where would you expect an unemployed person to get money for his/her rent?
    When did I say I could afford to pay rent? I am unemployed and cannot get any type of grant. I would get it if I moved from my parents and claimed rent allowance. You should read more slowly before You get short with me. If the people from the government acknowledged that there is a problem then there must be a problem. If You are looking for an argument, I suggest You go on YouTube. Plenty of kids on that to argue with.

When did I say I could afford to pay rent? I am unemployed and cannot get any type of grant. I would get it if I moved from my parents and claimed rent allowance. You should read more slowly before You get short with me. If the people from the government acknowledged that there is a problem then there must be a problem. If You are looking for an argument, I suggest You go on YouTube. Plenty of kids on that to argue with.

I read your statement wrong, thats no need to be rude!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Six of one half dozen of the other.
    If people cannot respond in a mature fashion to each other here, please don't post.

I read your statement wrong, thats no need to be rude!
    My apolagies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

If you still live at home, you are assessed on their income.

If you move out then change your address with the bank and order a bank statement to be delivered to you in the month of October of this year.

Your proof of independence has to be for October of this year, to apply for next year.

It's a pain in the ass, but has to be done. TBH if I were u, I'd sit on the dole for another year to apply for BTEA. It's worth more to you, and you're allowed to work once you get it.

Don't do what I did and actually work to save for college. I'm at the stage now where I get €100 a month of a grant and live off my wages. and if I lose this job I get nothing. Play the system, and be polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daychris76

I'm afraid it looks like you're not going to get the grant then. I know how ridiculous it is, as one rule i.e. over 27 suffices for social welfare but does not apply to grant applications. there is no joined up thinking.What I would say to you is go to your SU and ask for assitance through the Student Assistance Fund. This may help you get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Have you looked into applying for BTEA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

I got off the phone with my local county council. They said I forgot to include my parents income details in my grant application for year 3 even though I haven't lived with them in over 3 years. The fcuk st!co on the phone couldn't give me a valid explanation as to why those details were necessary. The only reason she could give me was 'Thats the why!'
    Honestly, absolute ball breakers.

Advertisement