Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview question

Options
  • 10-09-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

What experience do you have of working with three phase power?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

antlyn wrote: »
    What experience do you have of working with three phase power?

Well either you have experience or you don't am I missing something?

Perhaps back up any experience with examples (3phase pumps/motor control lighting bus bar/panels /wiring/terminating/high tension very vague question) but if you're an industrial spark it's second nature. If you're a domestic spark going after an Industrial spark position get your reading glasses on but it's more or less the same principles. You'd have covered 3 phase in tech at least.

Not quite sure what you're looking for.:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is a fair question.

Perhaps you can be more specific, what is the problem OP?

2011 wrote: »
    It is a fair question.

Perhaps you can be more specific, what is the problem OP?

It's a fair question but just a bit vague. I'm not attacking the post or poster just the question being asked in an interview. We're getting an out of context view of it.

In your work experience did you work with any Industrial companies? or is the job you're going for specific to 3 phase power in some way?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

leeomurchu wrote: »
    It's a fair question but just a bit vague.
    At a minimum any sparks could answer the interviewer with:

"As an apprentice in college I learnt...........about 3 phase power and they taught us how to connect.........then on site as an apprentice I connected........when the motor went the wrong way we swapped phases.....as an electrician I did ......etc..."

At a minimum any sparks could answer the interviewer with:

"As an apprentice in college I learnt...........about 3 phase power and they taught us how to connect.........then on site as an apprentice I connected........when the motor went the wrong way we swapped phases.....as an electrician I did ......etc..."

Yuuupp :D

• Advertisement

Yuuupp :D
    Perhaps it is not the best answer ever, but for a sparks that has no other exposure to 3 phase at least it demonstrates some experience and understanding.

Perhaps it is not the best answer ever, but for a sparks that has no other exposure to 3 phase at least it demonstrates some experience and understanding.

I'd have been impressed but you know you'd get the interviewer who'd ask were you not concerned with damaging the equipment by checking the phase direction before connecting. :eek:

Interviews suck just be careful not to talk yourself into a mistake.

I'd have been impressed but you know you'd get the interviewer who'd ask were you not concerned with damaging the equipment by checking the phase direction before connecting. :eek:

I guess preparation is the key. Do your homework and see what type of work the company you are being interviewed by does and what your role would be. If the company does domestic work only, questions on 3 phase power are not likely. It always amazes me how unprepared some candidates are.

I guess preparation is the key. Do your homework and see what type of work the company you are being interviewed by does and what your role would be. If the company does domestic work only, questions on 3 phase power are not likely. It always amazes me how unprepared some candidates are.

Good advice there fail to prepare prepare to fail.

A little company info is a nice touch in interviews as it shows you're interested in the company aswell as the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Sorry I lost reception whilst editing the post, and yes I'm an industrial sparks. It got thrown at me yesterday so had to think quickly never had it before. They wanted very specific answers! Was just posting it and thinking of maybe creating a sticky for tricky interview qs? Sorry for being so vague

• Advertisement

Sorry I lost reception whilst editing the post, and yes I'm an industrial sparks. It got thrown at me yesterday so had to think quickly never had it before. They wanted very specific answers! Was just posting it and thinking of maybe creating a sticky for tricky interview qs? Sorry for being so vague

It's a curve ball alright but surely it's a case of pointing out where you've worked and buildings you've worked on.

It's kinda like asking a plumber if he's ever worked with hot water :confused:

Very true. What does everyone think of the idea for a sticky for tricky sparks interview questions? Lord knows theres enough people doing interviews at the mo!

Very true. What does everyone think of the idea for a sticky for tricky sparks interview questions? Lord knows theres enough people doing interviews at the mo!

Ah sure the last interview I had for a maintenance spark I was told I was to electrically qualified. How the flock does that work.

Suppose it's similar to "It's not you, it's me" kinda deal :D

How'd the interview go anyway?

Surely its better to be over qual than under qual. Unless they want to teach you. Interview was tough, panel of SIX firing qs at me and two were sparks. Wont know for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

seems like a very simple and clear q to me anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i would answer-

Design, installation and testing 3P circuits and DB's

Installation and maintenance 3P equipment

keep it basic and go into more detail if asked-i don't have much experience of interviews though so dunno is that the way to go?

M cebee wrote: »
    i would answer-

Design, installation and testing 3P circuits and DB's

Installation and maintenance 3P equipment

keep it basic and go into more detail if asked-i don't have much experience of interviews though so dunno is that the way to go?

Surely that would be detailed in his CV though.

Surely that would be detailed in his CV though.
    Despite all of the hard work that goes into CVs they often get less than a 10 second scan.

Despite all of the hard work that goes into CVs they often get less than a 10 second scan.

Well mine must've got a 20 sec scan just a call there interview lined up for Thurs.

Oh **** Shoe firmly on other foot now :eek:

Where's that sticky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Id say thats the case alright.

• Advertisement

Well here's another one for your list.

HVAC please explain this.

I ran out of puff after repeating ambient temperature, recirculated air, actuators and speed controllers a number of times. :D

Well here's another one for your list.

HVAC please explain this.

I ran out of puff after repeating ambient temperature, recirculated air, actuators and speed controllers a number of times. :D

What is the question?
    Do you want a definition of what HVAC is??

That was the question word for word..

"Hvac please explain."

Other than it being heat vent Air con obviously.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ah sure the last interview I had for a maintenance spark I was told I was to electrically qualified. How the flock does that work.

Common interview question that one.

It translates as "we'd love to hire you but we reckon you'll be gone out the door as soon as a job comes up elsewhere more suited to your skillset so we can't take the chance"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That was the question word for word..

"Hvac please explain."

Other than it being heat vent Air con obviously.:D

Maybe they were asking about 110kv:pac:

superg wrote: »
    Common interview question that one.

It translates as "we'd love to hire you but we reckon you'll be gone out the door as soon as a job comes up elsewhere more suited to your skillset so we can't take the chance"

Thanks for the vote of confidence there mate :(

You might be on to something though because they were enquiring about another interview I had recently I wouldn't mind sounded like an interesting job and getting in on ground level aswell.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Maybe they were asking about 110kv:pac:

they'd have been talking to the wrong man so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there mate :(

You might be on to something though because they were enquiring about another interview I had recently I wouldn't mind sounded like an interesting job and getting in on ground level aswell.

Companies don't want to spend time and money training people to do a job if they think they might leave when something better comes up,not against you personally mate.Its a cop out,I mean who isn't always on the lookout for something better.

If they felt you were over qualified why did they bloody ask you to interview for the position! If you are over qualified,they should be bloody delighted to have a man of your skills.

I've had that one myself before,its frustrating.It's on a par with Bouncers turning you away "cos your not a regular":rolleyes:

superg wrote: »
    Companies don't want to spend time and money training people to do a job if they think they might leave when something better comes up,not against you personally mate.Its a cop out, mean who isn't always on the lookout for something better.

If they felt were over qualified why did they bloody ask you to interview for the position! If you are over qualified,they should be bloody delighted to have a man of your skills.

I've had that one myself before,its frustrating.It's on a par with Bouncers turning you away "cos your not a regular":rolleyes:

Ah I'm getting you now the one about me being over qualified was for a different crowd <mod snip>. I though it'd be to there advantage having a qualified sparks and paying him a donkeys rate but I guess not probably just being polite though.

It was only a contract apparently they hired lads to clear out and replace the <mod snip>, I've a mate workin in there told me none of them were kept on.

The interview today was a different one which I wasn't really qualified for so there'll be no issue if I don't get it.

Just gettin an interview these days feels like a small victory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement