Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English and History people???

Options
  • 10-09-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Just wondering what books older/past pupils would recommend to actually buy for English and History.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Don't bother buying any of the ones for the Literary Revival module- they're all in the library, or else they are widely available secondhand if you really want to buy them. For goodness sake don't buy them new!

For Critical Practice again the texts are in the library (hint- go and get them now before anyone else realises). I would recommend buying Ways of Reading though- useful for subsequent years. Don't bother with the MLA guide either unless you can get a cheap secondhand one

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Don't bother buying any of the ones for the Literary Revival module- they're all in the library, or else they are widely available secondhand if you really want to buy them. For goodness sake don't buy them new!

For Critical Practice again the texts are in the library (hint- go and get them now before anyone else realises). I would recommend buying Ways of Reading though- useful for subsequent years. Don't bother with the MLA guide either unless you can get a cheap secondhand one

Yeah, I agree with the MLA guide thing - I just use Purdue OWL for my referencing! http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

You really don't need a lot of the Norton Anthology books that you're asked to buy, either. Even though I've bought most of them anyway! I found that you can google most poems/extracts and then borrow someone else's book for an hour or so to get the right referencing (if you need to for an essay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I wouldn't recommend buying Nortons either, though if you can find the Anthology of Literary Theory and Criticism reasonably cheap then go for it. It can be useful later on if you write an English FYP. You won't need that until 2nd year though when you're doing Lit theory.

Novels can be got fairly cheap on bookdepository.co.uk or 2nd hand on Play.com. Most wordsworth editions are about €3 with free post and packaging. If you don't want to buy them then you can read most of them free on Projectgutenberg in pdf format or as epub/mobi on an e-reader if you wish. Check around on Amazon for 2nd hand history stuff, but the best thing to do is to photocopy as much as you can from the short loans section.

Advertisement