Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless broadband will not connect to my laptop

• 10-09-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this topic belongs in the sticky thread but I had a quick look through it and I can't quite find any posts about the issue I'm having.

I got UPC broadband installed in my house today but the wireless will not connect to my laptop. I have 2 house mates and the wireless works fine on both their laptops and also on my iPhone so I know it's not the broadband set up/signal that's the issue.. it just won't connect to my laptop for some reason?

I'm not sure why because it my laptop has no problems when I connect it to wireless networks in college, work, my friends office, etc. We had Eircom broadband in the house up until last week and it connected to that with no problems.

When I click "Connect to a network" the UPC modem comes up, I enter the security key, it tries to connect it for a few seconds but then it stops and says "Windows cannot connect to UPC928003". I click "Diagnose" and the message says "Wireless authentication failed because of a timeout".

I have tried shutting down my laptop and turning it back on, turning the broadband modem off for a minute and turning it back on and resetting the modem. I have done all of these several times but the same thing keeps happening.

I'm at a complete loss here, I have no idea what to do now. My laptop works perfectly on other wireless networks so I can't figure out what the problem is here. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to these things, I really don't know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

What laptop brand do you have?? Your wireless card may not be compatible with UPC...I had a simular issue with a Sony laptop and needed to buy a wireless adaptor for bot 20 euros :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    What laptop brand do you have?? Your wireless card may not be compatible with UPC...I had a simular issue with a Sony laptop and needed to buy a wireless adaptor for bot 20 euros :)
    It's a toshiba, couldn't tell you what model but its about 3 yrs old, one of my house mates has a newer Toshiba model and the wireless works perfectly..never needed a wireless card before and have travelled around the world using wi fi on this laptop that's why I'm so confused as to why it won't work with UPC of all providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Try this, this sometimes happens to my wireless connection too or my sisters

If you're on Windows 7/Vista, go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks (on left pane).

Now, for some reason, if I add my network connection manually, it works :S So, memorise/write down your connection info (SSID name, wireless security type and key etc).

Click Add > Manually create a network profile > fill in your details > next > done.

It SHOULD work then, for some reason I had the exact same problem as you and found that this works for me.

Kinda dumbfounded how you can connect elsewhere and your housemates can connect to yours....doesn't really give any obvious sign of whats at fault, as seemingly the network/your laptop are fine

Ask all users to disconnect and try connect as the only person? See if this works? Post back results anyway :)

Ramza wrote: »
    Try this, this sometimes happens to my wireless connection too or my sisters

If you're on Windows 7/Vista, go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks (on left pane).

Now, for some reason, if I add my network connection manually, it works :S So, memorise/write down your connection info (SSID name, wireless security type and key etc).

Click Add > Manually create a network profile > fill in your details > next > done.

It SHOULD work then, for some reason I had the exact same problem as you and found that this works for me.

Kinda dumbfounded how you can connect elsewhere and your housemates can connect to yours....doesn't really give any obvious sign of whats at fault, as seemingly the network/your laptop are fine

Ask all users to disconnect and try connect as the only person? See if this works? Post back results anyway :)
    Thanks for the reply Ramza, tried to add a network connection manually, entered all the details exactly as they appear on the bottom of the modem but it is still not working. It say "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network".

My 2 housemates disconnected their wireless, I tried to connect but still no luck. I brought my laptop into my friends office today and the wireless works fine there.

At a loss here, completely dumbfound as to why this is happening, can't make any sense of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

click Start - control panel - Network and Internet - Manage Wireless networks

Delete the network UPC XXXXXX whatever is it.
    and try reconnecting again from fresh.

Had similar issues as yourself, and above method worked my side.

• Advertisement

mark17j wrote: »
    click Start - control panel - Network and Internet - Manage Wireless networks

Delete the network UPC XXXXXX whatever is it.
    and try reconnecting again from fresh.

Had similar issues as yourself, and above method worked my side.
    Thanks for the reply Mark but still no luck. Not sure who I should be contacting for help here, UPC wireless works fine on other laptops and my laptop can connect to other wireless networks without any problems. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Mark but still no luck. Not sure who I should be contacting for help here, UPC wireless works fine on other laptops and my laptop can connect to other wireless networks without any problems. Makes no sense.

Are you using Vista? I've read stories here with people having problems connecting to UPC wireless with that operating system.. I've win 7 and xp before that and never had much problems connecting, just the odd glitch. I've heard changing to WEP security might just sort it for Vista users... bare in mind using WEP security is not 100% safe these days.

Are you using Vista? I've read stories here with people having problems connecting to UPC wireless with that operating system.. I've win 7 and xp before that and never had much problems connecting, just the odd glitch. I've heard changing to WEP security might just sort it for Vista users... bare in mind using WEP security is not 100% safe these days.

Yes using Vista, still haven't got it working..how do I change to WEP Security?

Mark, tried this and finally got it working! Thank you for your help :)

Advertisement