Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Most Difficult Album You've Ever Listened To?

Options
  • 10-09-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭

Or, in other words, the most "out there" or least accessible album that you've tried listening to.

For me, it would probably be Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica.

Other albums that I found particularly difficult would be Frank Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money, John Frusciante's Smile From The Streets That You Hold, Miles Davis' Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock's Sextant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

John Frusciantes debut album left me scratching my head.

Occasionally I'll let Lou Reeds Metal Machine Music assault my senses :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I agree with Bitches Brew for sure. Found that one extremely tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The worst for me was The Flaming Lips Embryonic, The Soft Bulletin was quite manageable for the most part, but the former I just couldn't get my head around.

Honourable mentions go to The Beach Boys' Smiley Smile, and John Frusciante's A Sphere In The Heart of Silence barr one song.

I only lasted for five tracks of Kate Bush's Aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I would say The Shaggs' "Philosophy of the World", but it's just too entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Lou Reeds 'Berlin', so depressing but still a great album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Earth-Earth-2-Special-Low-Frequency-Version-1993-300x300.jpg
    Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version

I really don't know what to make of this album. I like slow, droning music this album is just... an endurance test. I understand you're supposed to turn it up good and loud and immerse yourself in its intense atmosphere, but I was just crying out for some sort of dynamics to break up the otherwise monotonous wall of noise. The only cool thing about it is when you've finished listening to it and you take off your headphones everything sounds trebly because of the amount of bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Pulled Apart By Horses by Pulled Apart By Horses.
    There's one or two good songs on it, but the album is pretty heavy, but it isn't metal or anything, it's kind of like Biffy Clyro's early stuff mixed with some obscure genre they made themselves. At least, I can't put a genre onto it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Occasionally I'll let Lou Reeds Metal Machine Music assault my senses :pac:

Lol, I do that sometimes too. The longest I've managed to listen to it for was 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I would say The Shaggs' "Philosophy of the World", but it's just too entertaining

Oooohhhh...
    The rich people want what the poor people's got
    And the poor people want what the rich people's got...

karaokeman wrote: »
    The worst for me was The Flaming Lips Embryonic, The Soft Bulletin was quite manageable for the most part, but the former I just couldn't get my head around.

Yeah, I found Embryonic to be a tough listen at first too but I eventually grew to really like it.

Interestingly, I have Aerial too but I haven't given it a listen yet. I love all of her stuff that I've heard so far though.

• Advertisement

I'd actually love to listen to an entire Merzbow album just out of curiosity. I'd probably have a seizure after 10 minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I'd actually love to listen to an entire Merzbow album just out of curiosity. I'd probably have a seizure after 10 minutes though.

Get the Merzbox and strap yourself in!

I've got Dharma, and I like it a lot. It's definitely a very particular kind of music that I'm rarely in the mood to listen to, but when I am in the mood, it's real cool.

This one's one of my favourites:

John Coltrane's Ascension is kinda hard going but it's really fantastic stuff. I usually find it best to have a few beers and put it on without trying too hard... Just let the sound come at you and wash over you. That's where the real enjoyment is for me, anyway.

And Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz is a ****ing great album, another one where it's not worth trying to follow the lines or anything, just get stuck into the sound. Play it LOUD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Aerial is great - the second disc is a real grower.
    Suas11 wrote: »
    Interestingly, I have Aerial too but I haven't given it a listen yet. I love all of her stuff that I've heard so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Bitches Brew for sure.

I remember finding "()" by Sigur Ros very hard as the lyrics didn't change at all from song to song, it was just the same phrase repeated over and over. I heard it recently though, and it wasn't as bad.

Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes - a double album made up of just 4 songs - none of which have any good hooks or structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Autechre's EP7 took a while I must say.
    <acknowledgement that it's not technically an album>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

rcaz wrote: »

John Coltrane's Ascension is kinda hard going but it's really fantastic stuff. I usually find it best to have a few beers and put it on without trying too hard... Just let the sound come at you and wash over you. That's where the real enjoyment is for me, anyway.

And Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz is a ****ing great album, another one where it's not worth trying to follow the lines or anything, just get stuck into the sound. Play it LOUD.

Two absolutely cracking albums there! These 4 albums took me a lot of effort to really get into, but they're all amazing and highly recommended :)

The most recent jazz record that i picked up that took more than a few listen was Coleman's 'Sound Grammar'. No, your ears aren't deceiving you, that is in fact two bassists:

Soft Machine's 'Third' is probably best tackled one of the four near-twenty minute tracks at a time:

Fredrick Thordendal's (he of Meshuggah fame, who aren't exactly the most accessible band out there to begin with) absolute head trip Sol Niger Within needs to be listened to as one piece. Think i listened to for about a year on and off bfore it finally clicked:

Fitting that Gorgut's 'Obscura' has been described as the 'Trout Mask Replica' of metal. The entire album features similar oddness and intensity. This is a great video of the title track getting hammered out live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭mosstin

karaokeman wrote: »

Honourable mentions go to The Beach Boys' Smiley Smile, and John Frusciante's A Sphere In The Heart of Silence barr one song.

Ye Gods. You don't know what you're missing then. One of the finest albums of the 2000s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

mosstin wrote: »
    Ye Gods. You don't know what you're missing then. One of the finest albums of the 2000s.

Aye! It's lovely too, perfect late night listening. Maybe the geek in me gets giddy hearing pi recited to a tonne of decimal places in such a soft, smooth manner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Does music have its own Finnegans Wake?

Uh, I don't listen to a lot so for me a 'difficult' album might seem a bit tame to a lot of others here. I had a hard time figuring out if people actually enjoyed 'In the aeroplane over the sea' un-ironically or if it was all just a big joke. Anything from Sunn O)))) and Merriweather post pavilion confuse me as well.

snausages wrote: »
    Does music have its own Finnegans Wake?

Uh, I don't listen to a lot so for me a 'difficult' album might seem a bit tame to a lot of others here. I had a hard time figuring out if people actually enjoyed 'In the aeroplane over the sea' un-ironically or if it was all just a big joke. Anything from Sunn O)))) and Merriweather post pavilion confuse me as well.
    I don't think In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is that inaccessible, I just found it to be a bit uninspiring and boring. I never really understood it's reputation as I think there were far better lo-fi indie albums in the 90's. Merriweather Post Pavilion is actually Animal Collective's most accessible album funnily enough. It's actually poppy enough in places yet still has an overall experimental bent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD. Still gives me nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

I nearly gave up with Tangerine Dream... and then suddenly it just clicked!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Fitting that Gorgut's 'Obscura' has been described as the 'Trout Mask Replica' of metal. The entire album features similar oddness and intensity. This is a great video of the title track getting hammered out live :)

Ooh I've listened to that one a few times, I'm not really into metal at all, but I could tell that one had something in it that I liked... I still haven't really gotten into that kinda stuff, it but it's definitely the most exciting metal I've listened to. It's savage to see people properly rocking out to microtones.

I'm really into electronic music, and I guess Venetian Snares might be a kind of Gorguts of electronic music. Winnipeg Is A Frozen ****hole is hard-going at the best of times, physically stressful at the worst :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Some great posts on this thread of all flavours that deserve exploring.

Sun Ra & his various Arkestra formats released recordings from the sublime to the unlistenable absurd over the course of a few decades.

A very easy going tune from 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have listened to several hours of Morton Feldman's piano music in one sitting, it was difficult but rewarding. Usually I find difficult music is almost always the music you learn the most from (I work and study as a composer). I can't believe people mentioned Bitch's Brew, it's one of my favourite albums! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

pconn062 wrote: »
    I can't believe people mentioned Bitch's Brew, it's one of my favourite albums! :)

Like a magnet to my brain on the first listen.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I can't believe people mentioned Bitch's Brew, it's one of my favourite albums! :)

Oh, it's a great album. One of my favourites by Miles. It's just that it took me a while to get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Off the top of my head, 'Smile' by Brian Wilson.

Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys is one of the greatest albums ever. Smile was to be the follow up to Pet Sounds, but never was released and built up a mystique as the greatest ever unreleased album.

When Wilson eventually recorded and released the album as a solo artist 40 years later, I found it unlistenable. Tried a few times to get into it, but eventually I just gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed you Black Emperor would be up there, it begins with a long intro of ambient sounds, I think I only listened to it all the way through once, aeons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Everything about that album is great. Even the bit with the old dude reminiscing about Coney Island.

Advertisement