Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do i need a garda age card?

• 10-09-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm from the UK and have a UK driving licence, but i only just found out about an age card yesterday and how strict they are in dublin (where i'm going for college on friday) and people have said it took 3 months to come! Will i definitely need one and not get into clubs or be allowed alcohol with a UK driving licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I'm from the UK and have a UK driving licence, but i only just found out about an age card yesterday and how strict they are in dublin (where i'm going for college on friday) and people have said it took 3 months to come! Will i definitely need one and not get into clubs or be allowed alcohol with a UK driving licence?

You'll be fine. If not, just use your passport sure. Also agecards don't usually take long. Got mine years ago now but it only took like 2/3 weeks iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ask Gary to buy you some.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ask Gary to buy you some.
    huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

huh?

Gary Glitter, it's a joke about your name.
    No you can use your passport just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

huh?

He's the leader of the gang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

retalivity wrote: »
    He's the leader of the gang.

And what a gang it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Jesus, people with 94 at the end of their usernames are old enough to legally drink now.

I really am old.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

You probably wont be let in with your drivers licence, you cant even use them to buy alcohol in dunnes or tesco. Order an age card and use your passport until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Most large shops wont serve you without an age card or a passport, some clubs will only take an age card pr passport. I think they are even less likely to take a UK driving licence than an Irish one because they aren't familiar with it.

An age card only takes around 10 working days to recieve.

You probably wont be let in with your drivers licence, you cant even use them to buy alcohol in dunnes or tesco. Order an age card and use your passport until then.

I was 8 when my passport was done, will this be a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I would imagine so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

now we know your a joker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Possibly, is it still in date? They may ask for something else with your name on it to back up that its you, you should have a student id card then and your uk drivers licence would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Fr. Dougal McGuire got away with it...

listermint wrote: »
    now we know your a joker.

Haha i'm actually not joking, my passport lasts 10 years and i'm getting one done in 2013

At an event at the college it says 'gov id required' does this mean garda age card? and also to apply for one you need an irish address, so does't that mean that anyone from abroad can't even apply for one until they arrive? and then another month-3 months on top of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Age Cards don't take that long to arrive really, I got mine within a week or two of sending off the application. I'd recommend getting one, some places are strict and they're generally handier to have out than a driving licence/passport in case you lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It does make for some interesting chit-chat at the checkout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Just get the age card. It takes two weeks and you shouldn't be carrying around your passport in a load of pubs. Especially if you're a foreigner.

Just get the age card. It takes two weeks and you shouldn't be carrying around your passport in a load of pubs. Especially if you're a foreigner.

Yeah i will, but i can't get it until i get there on wednesday and there are events within the first few days with 'gov id required' which i really hope doesn't mean i can't go, as surely everyone who isn't from ireland going to uni there can't go then??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah i will, but i can't get it until i get there on wednesday and there are events within the first few days with 'gov id required' which i really hope doesn't mean i can't go, as surely everyone who isn't from ireland going to uni there can't go then??

No idea what college this is but come on, I reeeeally doubt that's what they mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Uk license has your photo on it, you'll be just fine with that, barmen have seen them thousands of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Flirt with any door staff in the bars, you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Passport is normally fine, but if you really don't look like your passport photo anymore then you may have problems (8? Seriously?! In Ireland, under-18s can only get 5-year passports for that exact reason). Some places will accept your drivers license, but not all of them and not if it looks like it could be easily faked. Clubs tend to be stricter than pubs.

I'd recommend getting an Age Card anyway, because carrying your passport around with you increases your risk of losing it and it's far cheaper to replace an Age Card than a passport! It takes about 2 weeks (unless there's a backlog), but definitely not 3 months.

Govt ID refers to driving licences and passports from any country. It's just a way to stop people trying to come in with student ID cards.

Govt ID refers to driving licences and passports from any country. It's just a way to stop people trying to come in with student ID cards.

A lot of places don't accept driving licences though, probably because the Irish ones are essentially laminated bits of pink paper :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jrmb

I'm sure your driver's licence will suffice. It takes the same form as every other European licence except Irish ones. They double up as identity cards in most countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jrmb

(8? Seriously?! In Ireland, under-18s can only get 5-year passports for that exact reason)

I got a 10-year passport when I was 8. It's only recently that it hasn't been allowed. Funnily enough, my sister was then denied a 10-year passport when she needed a biometric one at 17.

A lot of places don't accept driving licences though, probably because the Irish ones are essentially laminated bits of pink paper :pac:

OP's not Irish, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

''Government ID'' means a passport or an Age Card. Basically, any ID issued by the government, i.e., not a driving licence & not a student card.

Your passport will be fine. It's a government ID so it should be no problem. The fact you're only 8 in the picture might make it a bit suspicious, but if you have a bank card or a student card to back it up, it'll be fine. Obviously a bank card or a student card wouldn't work on it's own though.

Your licence won't work. They don't even accept Irish licences as ID, so they're not going to accept a UK licence.

I got my age card a few months ago, it only took about 2 weeks, if even. You should get an Age Card sorted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Bring your passport and license. Show them the passport first and if they ask whether it really is you, show them the license to back it up. It'll be fine. I've gotten into lots of places with an out of date passport which has a picture of me when I was 12. I've gotten in a few times with just a learners permit as well. You'll be grand OP :D

Also, a quick tip. If you walk up to the club linked with a girl you're more likely to get in. I don't know why that is but it usually works :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 argirl

i wish i would get asked for ID

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Never bothered getting one. The whole thing was a farce when it came out. "Valid ID / no-one has to accept it..."

OP's not Irish, though.

I know, but many venues (in Dublin, at least, can't speak for everywhere else) don't accept licences full stop. It's mainly because the Irish ones look easy to fake, but they do apply the rule to foreign ones too (presumeably cause in many cases, they don't know what a genuine one looks like and have no way of knowing if they're fake).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Haha i'm actually not joking, my passport lasts 10 years and i'm getting one done in 2013

Liar liar pants on fire, Child passports are only issued for 5 years in the UK.
    And that was not any different in 2002.
    So :P

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applyingforaneworrenewedchildpassport/DG_174105

• Advertisement

OP's not Irish, though.
    I have an irish passport though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

not that lasts ten years from the age of 8 you don't.

summerskin wrote: »
    not that lasts ten years from the age of 8 you don't.

Well since it expires jan 2013, actually i think i do..

Advertisement