Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry fly help?

Options
  • 10-09-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

i've been using "dry fly silicone mucilin" for the flies, just wondering which is the best? or what do most guys use? went to 2 local shops and neither can get it anymore, neither had anything else either, well one did have a spray bottle but it was 13euro and no bigger than a egg cup full!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

bayliner wrote: »
    i've been using "dry fly silicone mucilin" for the flies, just wondering which is the best? or what do most guys use? went to 2 local shops and neither can get it anymore, neither had anything else either, well one did have a spray bottle but it was 13euro and no bigger than a egg cup full!
    I use gink .it very good .i think it's 5
    euro

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Gink

bayliner wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I use a lot of CDC flies and the best solution I have found is Frogs Fanny. I don't put any gink on the CDC fly at all, just give it a brush with the desiccant powder (Frogs Fanny is just one brand) which leaves the wing dry and perfectly formed. It traps a lot of air and the fly floats great. It needs to be re-done every time you catch or get the fly waterlogged. I'm still on the same bottle I got at the start of the season.

I have tried it on other dries (non CDC) and it worked great. I also use a tiny bit of gink on the fly first and then just keep drying the fly as needed. It only takes a couple of seconds to do.

Another trick is to use a sheet of good quality kitchen paper to pull the water out of the fly. Just gently squeeze the fly between the folded paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

dip in the river to wash off fish slime and blow until dry on cdc flies, gink on everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

gink seems to be the popular choice , will get to town durin week and invest, cheers lads for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I mostly use the tree's directly behind me to keep my flies dry. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I use gink or aquel. I don't find any difference between them.

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I mostly use the tree's directly behind me to keep my flies dry. Works a treat.
    :D ive been known to leave a few in there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

I use Dry Magic made by Tiemco. Can be used on all materials including cdc.

the gink is fairly expensive at 8.50 for that little bottle, so i got 3 bottles of the silicone muciline AT 3.60 EACH i find it does the job:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement