Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robin Hedging

Options
  • 10-09-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of planting a boundary fence with Red Robin.

Any recommendations on where to buy Red Robin? I am located near Waterford.

What kind of spacing when planting, will a single line of planting give a thick hedge or do you have to plant a double line?

Does it produce berries, is it safe with livestock?

Also any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

There's no berries on the red robins near me, but I'm not sure that that is conclusive. It will give a bulky private hedge, but it's unlikely to be dog proof thick. Red Robin is only one of the cultivars of Photinia and there are several other cultivars which might be worth looking at
    The closest place I could recommend is near Youghal/killeagh, they're excellent but it might only be worth the travel if you need enough plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Cedrus,

Thanks for the information.

What other cultivars are they and what benefits would they have over the red robin?

I don't need it to be dog proof as I have a chainlink fence on the boundary.

How close should I plant to the fence, to allow for growth? Would you plant a single or double row?

Where in Youghal/Killeagh is the place you would recommend. I am doing a boundary of approx. 60 metres so I will need a good few plants.

Thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

You'd need to google the cultivars, there's loads of them, like 50+, the advantages are you might find a size that better suits you or different colours to break the sameness. The advantages of red robin over the others is that you can see them everywhere, buy them everywhere and you know they'll grow in Ireland.

I reckon a single row would be fine we've got them freestanding in the estate with a 3 metre spread but for a hedge I would plant them much like laurel only about 0.3-0.5 Metres out and the same apart.

I don't have the name of the nurseries on me, but it's in Inch, through killeagh and Mount Uniake from the cork side, I think you'd go straight NNW from Youghal, they're very helpful, they really know their stuff and the prices are great. One of their guys won a prize up at Bloom this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

need a sheltered site for this one if you are going to invest in a hedge of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Thanks for the replies.

What can I expect to pay per plant.

Can you get it in bare root, anyones that I have seen advertised all seem to be potted, which I presume is more expensive?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement