Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod repair. Memory reduced.

Options
  • 10-09-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I already posted this over in the Apple section so Icould get specific information relating to the product, but now I would like some advice on the consumer rights side of things . Also things have moved on and got a little worse since then.

I left an iPod4 with 64 GB of memory in for repair with a cracked screen on Thursday the 30th of August witha repair shop in Galway. It was still working away. They accepted it and said there was a chance it might be repaired that day so I could pick it up, as I live a couple of hours away from the repair shop. It wasn’t so I had to get them to send it out to me.

When it arrived on Tuesday of the following week I examined it and found that it now only had 8GB of memory plus the screen replacement job was pretty bad.It was lifting off one side of the iPod.

I rang and told them my complaint, only about the memory first. They said they’d get back to me next day but didn’t. I rang them and they said the engineer hadn’t been in since. When I told them about the screen being unacceptable they said pretty curtly to just send it back, no further comment on the memory.

Thursday of last week they rang again and said they had spoken to the engineer. This is what he said happened.

When he took off the cracked screen, the iPod stopped working. He replaced it with an 8GB inner (don’t know the correct term,) that they had, never checking that it was a 64 GB device that he was working on.

They said they shouldn’t have accepted it but seeing as they did they now accept some responsibility but don’t have a 64 GB inner (board?) to replace it with but can replace it with a 16 or maybe a 32. Now a 16 is in no way acceptable to me, but I did suspect for some while that I miscalculated the amount ofmemory I would need and 32 would have been ample to buy. I told him that 16would not be acceptable and I would think about it.

I had a reasonable informed friend look at it and he said the screen replacement job was as brutally bad as I thought it was, making me wonder about the competence of the person who worked on the iPod.

I rang today to clarify what was going to happen. He completely reneged on the offer of a 32 gb replacement board which would probably have placated me and offered only a 16 which is worthless to me. He said it was either that or he would refund me the price of the repair (69 euro plus 6 p&p) but that I wouldhave to send back the iPod so he could get his screen back. He did say he would send me back my damaged 64gb inner board, but I have no doubt whatsoever that when I get it back itwill be completely unfixable. Plus, how would I even know that it was mine, or even a 64 GB inner board seeing as it will be broken?

Plus it will cost me another six Euros to send back the iPod plus I suspect given the way they have behaved thus far that they will probably deduct the cost of sending back my damaged iPod from my repair fee.

I feel pretty hard done by. It’s cost me quite a lot to get my iPod ruined beyond repair. Has anyone any ideas where I stand rights wise?

Sorry for the length of this and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Well, they've failed to provide the service and they've damaged your goods in the process. Tell them you either want a "refund" that will cover the total cost of a repair else where or that they can buy the 64GB components and repair it themselves (point out that this is what should have happened in the first place). You'll have to note your unhappiness with the workmanship though, and say that you won't be accepting the repair if the quality is that bad again. I'd put all this in writing, but keep your position clear and simple. As far as I'm aware you'd be able to use the SCC to get what you want, although obviously you should be trying to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LuckyLoki

Zab wrote: »
    Well, they've failed to provide the service and they've damaged your goods in the process. Tell them you either want a "refund" that will cover the total cost of a repair else where or that they can buy the 64GB components and repair it themselves (point out that this is what should have happened in the first place). You'll have to note your unhappiness with the workmanship though, and say that you won't be accepting the repair if the quality is that bad again. I'd put all this in writing, but keep your position clear and simple. As far as I'm aware you'd be able to use the SCC to get what you want, although obviously you should be trying to avoid it.

So, you think I have a leg to stand on. I dislike confrontation but I dislike being abused more. I am going to ring some of the consumer agencies tomorrow. Just curious, why do you think I should avoid the SCC. I used them decades ago to get a landlord to refund a rent deposit and they were brilliant. We avoided going to court and they got our deposit back.

Only because it's a pain in the ass, and therefore it's easier if you come to an agreement with the place. I do think you have a strong leg to stand on, and I wouldn't be anywhere near giving up on this one. Call them again if you think you can calmly and clearly explain your point of view to them and if you don't get a reasonable offer then send them a registered letter.

The guy on the phone today was pretty curt. I think I am done talking with him. That's why I am finding out my rights. I saw somewhere that lodging a claim with the small claims court only costs 18 euros. if I post back this ipod, and if they charge me for returning my broken bits, that's twelve. I am as well to lodge a claim at that rate as long as it's a good one.

You're really going to have to contact them in writing via registered mail giving them 10 days to respond before you go to the SCC.

• Advertisement

You're really going to have to contact them in writing via registered mail giving them 10 days to respond before you go to the SCC.

Thanks for telling me that. I seem to be pestering you with questions. :) Do I let them know that I intend to go to SCC if they do not make a good offer? I don't mind writing a letter but I am done talking to that man. I am so sorry I went to that place.

Yes. The usual would be to outline the problem and the outcomes you're willing to accept and state that it's your intention to proceed to the SCC in 10 days if you don't get a acceptable response. Again, try to be as pleasant and reasonable as possible because it's better for everybody if this is resolved without involving the SCC.

Yes. The usual would be to outline the problem and the outcomes you're willing to accept and state that it's your intention to proceed to the SCC in 10 days if you don't get a acceptable response. Again, try to be as pleasant and reasonable as possible because it's better for everybody if this is resolved without involving the SCC.

Thanks for all your help. I will do my ringing around tomorrow and armed with my new information make a battle plan.:)

For anyone who may be in a similar situation, I rang consumer affairs today and was told that yes, I had just cause for complaint. They had a template letter I am going to download and modify and send away. It's kind of my pet project now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's totally unacceptable.

You gave them a product for repair, and they basically downgraded it to a different model entirely.

If they didn't have the components, they should have ordered them or else declined the repair entirely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement