Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Officer abroad

• 10-09-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, i was wondering about the prospects of becoming a police officer in another country, not necessarily in Europe, do you have to be a citizen of that country to even apply? thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What country even a ball park?

Can you speak another language?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bookshelf17

Is was thinking somewhere like Canada or Australia. i am fluent at Spanish

For Canada and Australia you can Apply for a state Police Force as long as you have the right to live and work in the respective countries.

Unless you have some prior Police recent experience

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bookshelf17

So you would have to be a resident?

Yes a permanent resident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

I recall a few years ago the South West Australian police were trying to recruit from the Gardai.
    In any case I wwould say your best bet would be one of the UK police forces, London Met might be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

To apply for any UK Police Force (other than PSNI) you'll need three years residency in the UK immediately prior to making an application.

Canada, Australia and New Zealand have all recruited serving Gardai and British Police on direct entry transfers but as a civilian you would need permanent residence before applying. US law enforcement is similar with some agencies accepting permanent residency but others requiring citizenship.

Advertisement