Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I pay 0,30cents/KWh, is it normal?

Options
  • 10-09-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello,

I moved in an appartment 4 days ago - I'm french and it's my first time in Ireland. My electricity is managed by a coin-operated meter. When we moved in, on September the 6th at about 5pm, there was 1,61€ in the meter. Since then, we put 10€ ourself and ran out of electricty once again today.

The meter charge us 30cents/KWh. Our appartment is a 3-room appartment: a living room, a bedroom, and a bathroom. It is appr. 30 square meters.

The heating of the appartment is not electric so the bill doesn't even cover that. We use electricity mainly for light, computers (2 laptops), cellphones (2) and cooking. Also, we have a fridge.

Does it seem normal to us that our bill was 11,67€ for 4 days, making the daily bill higher that 2,75€ a day? I heard the standard rate for ekectricity in Ireland is 18cents/KWh, but I don't have any source for that, so is it normal that the meter charges us 30cents/KWh? And most of all, what can we do about it?

If we continue at that rate, the electricity is going to cost us 85€ per month, so 170€ for 2 month, for only 2 persons in quite a small appartment - and we're not even in winter!

Thank you in advance for your advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Panline,

Coin-operated meters are not installed by electricity providers - I can only assume your landlord installed it, in which case he/she would be able to control/set the effective unit rate.
    Pauline wrote:
    I heard the standard rate for ekectricity in Ireland is 18cents/KWh, but I don't have any source for that

Our standard electricity unit rate is 16.19c, or 18.38c incl. VAT. You can find our rates on the priceplan section of our website. Bonkers.ie is also a good source for comparing electricity/gas rates.

To give you an idea of what you should get for one unit, see here. I have also pasted some of the information below:

what-is-one-electrical-unit.gif

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement