Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA listing area of hse way over what it is??

Options
  • 10-09-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So I am STILL house hunting..........so much for it being a buyers market! I can't seem to buy a house no matter what I do!

But my latest problem is I am looking at a house in complete bits. That is fine but the EA is listing the house as well over 200 sq ft bigger than it is. Even if you take into account the unconverted garage it is still off. Could they possibly be considering the attic potential or garden shed!

What do you consider assessible for the sq footage? Surely livable accomodation???? Am I wrong? It is so madening that they can falsely advertise properties like this! Any advice is very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Any floor space over which the ceiling height is 2.4m or taller is considered habitable space.

The EA should not be including in the sq.ft any areas with a ceiling height less than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

There is sure to be a disclaimer on any advertising material. Read the small print on the property brochure. I would imagine 200sq ft over is a mistake, have you mentioned it to them?

EA's will usually either take room by room measurements or G.I.F.L. (gross internal floor area)
    If there is just an overall figure you can be safe to assume its GIFL this is measured exterior wall to exterior wall and makes no allowance for internal walls. Still no where near explains and extra 200sq ft.
    Attic space, garden shed etc would not be included at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Thanks meeting EA tomorrow and going to ask but it is way off. I am trying to offer low so sq footage makes a difference.

Advertisement