Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suddenly Sensative

Options
  • 10-09-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was not sure where to go to figure out more about what is going on with me, so I am trying here to see if someone has experienced similar things.
    I am 32 years old...Up until about a year ago my paranormal experiences were limited and I always chalked them up to an over active imagination. In the last year there are very few weeks that go by that something doesn't happen. Anything from extreme empathy when talking to people about things, to having a bad feeling about a place resulting in me being chased up the stairs by an invisable force, to hearing whispers (sometimes I can make out the words, sometimes not), to the ability to anticipate future events before they occur, to footsteps being heard while I am alone. I am a little afraid because these experiences are escalating and I can't help feel like they are building to something bigger. Part of me is worried I am going crazy because aren't people who are in touch with paranormal ability people who have had the gift from childhood. I feel like more and more things are happening and not just at home but outside and other people's homes. Can you just become sensative? I don't know how it works but I'd like to know I'm not mentally ill...and I'm a little scared...Im not a kid with an over active imagination anymore...these things are happening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Yes you can suddenly become sensitive.Im 42 and became sensitive to energy last march.I had never believed in any kind of psychic stuff as i was a very logical sceintific minded person who only believed in what you could see and prove.I had to change my view because of my experiences which could not be explained.You are not going crazy,this is a whole different dimension that you are experiencing so my advice is read all you can about it on the web and go and try to meet people like you and maybe do a workshop and everything will start to fall into place for you.If anyone you meet or anything you do doesnt feel right to you then dont do it and find someone else and you will be fine.Best of luck

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Right now I suggest you look up methods of grounding. Some helpful and common sense ways are eating, gardening, or any kind of physical work. Some people swear by walking barefoot outdoors but I prefer more practical methods. :) The most important thing anyone has to learn when getting into this area is how to turn it off. Until you are content with your ability to do that and not have this sensitivity interfere in your everyday life, I dont suggest you try any type of further development on your own. If you join a group as gillad says, use your instincts and good sense to make sure this is ok for you, and always weigh up everything you are told before accepting it as a truth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't forget to consult your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

TLG1880 wrote: »
    I was not sure where to go to figure out more about what is going on with me, so I am trying here to see if someone has experienced similar things.

I am 32 years old...Up until about a year ago my paranormal experiences were limited and I always chalked them up to an over active imagination. In the last year there are very few weeks that go by that something doesn't happen. Anything from extreme empathy when talking to people about things, to having a bad feeling about a place resulting in me being chased up the stairs by an invisable force, to hearing whispers (sometimes I can make out the words, sometimes not), to the ability to anticipate future events before they occur, to footsteps being heard while I am alone.

I agree with Oryx that it's best right now to engage in activities that ground you instead of trying to explore the paranormal side of this further by, say, joining a psychic development group (not that you mentioned doing that yourself though).

Do you find that you feel a bit 'spaced out' or disconnected from everything and everyone around you, as though you're a spectator (even though someone might be having a direct conversation with you)? Maintain a routine in your daily life - try to get up and go to bed at the same times, eat at regular intervals, etc. That'll help you to feel more 'normal' despite everything else that's going on.

Someone suggested you see your GP and, by suggesting that, no-one is inferring that you're crazy. It just might be worthwhile to rule out anything that may be askew on the physical side. That's all.

BTW, has anything momentous, stressful or life-changing happened to you over the last year (when you began to become more sensitive)? Can you pinpoint anything?

I am a little afraid because these experiences are escalating and I can't help feel like they are building to something bigger. Part of me is worried I am going crazy because aren't people who are in touch with paranormal ability people who have had the gift from childhood. I feel like more and more things are happening and not just at home but outside and other people's homes.

I can understand that it must be frightening when it's all completely new to you and is suddenly a part of your daily life. I've had quite a few paranormal or, at least, highly unusual, experiences throughout my life so far (I'm in my mid-20s now) and, tbh with you, I don't remember having many frequent paranormal experiences when I was a child. All in all, my childhood was fairly uneventful paranormal-wise - I can only think of two paranormal encounters up until the age of 12.

I would say that I was definitely sensitive though, in that I could walk into the house and, before I even saw one of my parents, I'd know whether they were in a good mood or a bad mood. And I remember always getting the creeps whenever I came into contact with this local man, who my dad knew. I never wanted to go over to his house to play with his own kids whenever he asked my parents. It later turned out he was a vicious child abuser (and he was committed to a psychiatric hospital after being deemed insane), so that had been a good call on my part. Useful.. There have been certain times in my life where I thought I was more sensitive - I would be able to feel how other people are feeling, or I'd know what people were going to say before they said it, etc. - and then that would die down again.

You should keep a diary of everything that happens to you from day to day - whether you hear whispers at 2:32pm, feel like you were being chased up the stairs at 11pm, or have a 'vision' of a future event at 10am. Whatever. It'd be good for you to keep a written record of everything, and you might be able to look back at each day's events and see some sort of intelligent pattern in it all. As in, certain times of day/night might seem to be more 'active' for you.
    Can you just become sensitive? I don't know how it works but I'd like to know I'm not mentally ill...and I'm a little scared...Im not a kid with an over active imagination anymore...these things are happening.

I've read accounts where people suddenly became very sensitive after being involved in terrible car crashes, experiencing the breakdown of a significant relationship, having a brush with death, losing a much-loved parent, etc. It does happen. You should check out the books written by Colm Keane actually - I'd say you'd get a lot out of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Going-Home-Experiences-Out-Body/dp/0955913314

http://www.amazon.com/Forewarned-Extraordinary-Stories-Premonitions-Dreams/dp/0955913330

These are all stories from Irish people who have had Near Death Experiences and other unusual experiences.

Try all of the above things anyway and let us know on here how you get on, or if things have stabilised a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don't forget to consult your GP.
    +1

if you're worried about what might be neurological events, don't come to a discussion forum where people might tell you you've got a gift because it helps them reinforce their own worldview. go talk to someone who will be able to help. and the suggestion about writing things down makes sense - because if you do go to a GP, it will help you remember stuff you might otherwise forget to mention.

• Advertisement

+1

if you're worried about what might be neurological events, don't come to a discussion forum where people might tell you you've got a gift because it helps them reinforce their own worldview. go talk to someone who will be able to help. and the suggestion about writing things down makes sense - because if you do go to a GP, it will help you remember stuff you might otherwise forget to mention.

That's very presumptuous, dismissive and patronising of you to say. No-one has been saying or suggesting outright that he/she must have such-and-such a thing (either the 'gift' of psychic ability or a neurological disorder) 'wrong' with him/her.

Personally, I was providing some advice that I hoped might be of use to the OP if it really is the case - and only the OP will know this after investigating things further - that it is something paranormal in nature. That's what this forum is for.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you highlighted the word "must" to suggest this is what i said. i used the word might. there's a subtle difference in meaning.

you highlighted the word "must" to suggest this is what i said. i used the word might. there's a subtle difference in meaning.

Whatever. Happy cul-de-sac-ish nitpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Whatever. Happy cul-de-sac-ish nitpicking.

He also said "if"...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We are here to give input to the op. Not to argue amongst ourselves over its, buts, and maybes.

Cut it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement