Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation from town council??

Options
  • 11-09-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

My sister and husband are currently renting a council house in mayo and have been for the last 10 years but due to noisy neighbours they have decided to give up the house and look to buy a house.
    Their main query is that they have put in over €10-12k in improvements down through the years and they are wondering are they entitled to compensation from the council for improvements.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No.
    It is that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Wow..
    The sense of entitlement to "compensation" in this country never ceases to amaze me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

bbam wrote: »
    Wow..
    The sense of entitlement to "compensation" in this country never ceases to amaze me.
    They are wondering whether they are intitled, its a little different to feeling are they entitled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

I'm not sure if the scheme is still in place or if all councils do it but some years ago I was offered this scheme when I surrendered a local authority house due to unsociable behavior by neighbors.
    http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Housing/MortgageAllowance/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

mantua wrote: »
    €10-12k in improvements
    Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

They wont be entitled to any compensation, but as extinction said they may be entitled to mortgage allowance should they get a mortgage, which I think works out at nearly €12k. Should just phone the Council and find this out. There is also a scheme called the Incremental Purchase Scheme, (not sure if this has been introduced yet) this was brought in to replace the Tenant Purchase Scheme (TPS) the (TPS) is where tenants buy their own houses out at a reduction based on time spent in the house. The IPS is where they get reductions but buy a different house from the Council in another area so maybe this would better suit them given the time spent in the Council House.

I am no expert and am not sure of the TPS and IPS so best thing would be phone the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It may also be worth noting that what your sister and brother-in-law consider improvements may not be considered as such by the council and they may be required to re-instate the property to it's original condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

El Weirdo wrote: »
    they may be required to re-instate the property to it's original condition.
    This. The owner may look for compensation off your sister and her husband for what they did to the owners house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd emphasise this. Typically you are supposed to return the property to the council exactly as presented. Your lovely wood floor, understairs drawer, carpentry etc- could theoretically have to be taken out- as to leave it there for the next tenant would imply a duty on the part of the council to maintain those 'improvements'.

Advertisement