Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monument around Bray Head.

Options
  • 11-09-2012 12:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Hi, I remember years ago when I was kid I used to walk up Bray Head a lot. About a mile or so after you past the cross if you keep following the trail theres like a little monument thingy. I don't think it would be much taller than 4 feet or so. From what I remember it was painted white & had pictures of moons & stars & stuff like that painted on it. It didn't look like the people who intended on building it actually finished it. I haven't been up there years so don't know if its still there or what.

Does anyone know why or when it was built? Was it like a religious thing or something?

I'd be interested on any information on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Trig point perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

I think you're describing the the tip of Bray Head - is this it?

7425925766_fd73368bf1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

tdv123 wrote: »
    Hi, I remember years ago when I was kid I used to walk up Bray Head a lot. About a mile or so after you past the cross if you keep following the trail theres like a little monument thingy. I don't think it would be much taller than 4 feet or so. From what I remember it was painted white & had pictures of moons & stars & stuff like that painted on it. It didn't look like the people who intended on building it actually finished it. I haven't been up there years so don't know if its still there or what.

Does anyone know why or when it was built? Was it like a religious thing or something?

I'd be interested on any information on it.

I think you mean the summit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Most people never make it past the Cross and think that they have reached the summit. Did the basket ball hoop ever get taken down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Tiradon wrote: »
    I think you're describing the the tip of Bray Head - is this it?

7425925766_fd73368bf1.jpg

Thats what it is, I had seen trigs before in other places but they never had them paintings on it, always I taught it was a religious thing.

File:Bray_Head_Triangulation_Pillar_-_geograph.org.uk_-_692463.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bray_Head_Triangulation_Pillar_-_geograph.org.uk_-_692463.jpg

There's the another side of it, didn't have all the graffiti on it when I remember it & a lot of the stars & stuff are starting to fade.

Does anyone know how long it's been there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

tdv123 wrote: »
    Thats what it is, I had seen trigs before in other places but they never had them paintings on it, always I taught it was a religious thing.
    ive a sea chart somewhere of the east coast and it uses those trig points as reference as there is another on djouce mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I never ever knew that existed!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I hope to make it their some day. Is much far from the cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Park at the Wilton Hotel, takes 20 minutes max to hit the top of Bray head. Follow the trail full circle. An hour, depending on your fitness.

Is there a path? I was up there once but had to battle through the heather to get to it. However, Probably cause we were going off trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is there a path? I was up there once but had to battle through the heather to get to it. However, Probably cause we were going off trail.
    If you go up to Bray Head first, by whichever route you prefer, you drop down and just follow the path along the top towards Greystones, and you can't miss it. You can also get up to it from the cliff path via a path that starts where there's a broken sign post but it can be tricky to find when the bracken is high as it is now.

Alun wrote: »
    If you go up to Bray Head first, by whichever route you prefer, you drop down and just follow the path along the top towards Greystones, and you can't miss it. You can also get up to it from the cliff path via a path that starts where there's a broken sign post but it can be tricky to find when the bracken is high as it is now.

But it's not on the path, is it? It can be seen clearly from the path but no path goes right up to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

But it's not on the path, is it? It can be seen clearly from the path but no path goes right up to it?

it's off the main path but easy to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

loyatemu wrote: »
    Yes, just after the path that goes off from the main one down to the cliff path, there's another small one that goes off left to the trig point. You can see it clearly from the path its pretty obvious.

loyatemu wrote: »

Must have climbed up the wrong side of it. Been a few years now, can't remember.

Advertisement