Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit Business School Requirements

Options
  • 11-09-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone

I am heading into my final year of a BBS degree at NUIM.
    However I desperately want to advance my education by doing the Supply Chain Mgmt Masters at Smurfit.
    I hope to get a 1.1 degree but realistically i'll get a very credible 2.1 degree.
    However, given school's prestige and strong reputation would that be enough to gain entry.

If anyone has input on the school or the SCM masters it would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

2:1 is fine for Smurfit. That's their requirement for the Master of Accounting and the Marketing Practice one.

It's not exactly LSE

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

2:1 is fine for Smurfit. That's their requirement for the Master of Accounting and the Marketing Practice one.

It's not exactly LSE

The Master of Accounting is GPA 3.15 requirement, the rest of the courses are 2.1 (GPA 3.08) to the best of my knowledge. But OP, with a credible 2.1 you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Link to the course admission requirements

http://www.smurfitschool.ie/mastersprogrammes/management/mscinsupplychainmanagement/admissions,35028,en.html

OP I'm doing a different masters but one which has the same admissions requirements.

2.1 degree and an application that isn't awful and you will have no problem being accepted.

I thought the Master of Accounting was a 3.2 last year. Something to that effect anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Not only would a 2:1 be fine, but given the times we live in, it's not easy to get funding for a Masters and whilst minimum entry requirements exist, it may be possible to get in under the minimum requirement if you have experience and / or there is a poor uptake of the course.

For just about any masters in Ireland though a 2:1 is good enough.

• Advertisement

I don't think the above is true at all. Do you even go to Smurfit?

For example, I know someone who had a place secured in the M.Acc last year but didn't get a 3.2 and wasn't allowed into the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I think it's largely true, excluding very competitive courses like the MBA, CEMS and M.Acc where applicants far exceed places available and the application involves more than a simple personal statement or brief response to generic 'Why do you want to study this course' type of questions.

Application for the M.Acc was very simple. No personal statement. Just a few personal details, list of grades and exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

The MAcc is certainly more competitive than most of the other Masters. First of all you must have all ACA Cap1 exemptions while the GPA requirement nowadays is apparently 3.2

For the majority of Masters though, a 2.1 or above is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

RMD wrote: »
    The MAcc is certainly more competitive than most of the other Masters. First of all you must have all ACA Cap1 exemptions while the GPA requirement nowadays is apparently 3.2

For the majority of Masters though, a 2.1 or above is fine.

Also depends where your undergrad is from. An undergrad degree from Quinn will see you into Smurfit pretty handy.

2:1 elsewhere and you are fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement