Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calm-eze tabs

• 11-09-2012 2:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

So i picked up a box in pet mania the other day for 8.49 i think they were.got an earfull of info on them from the fella behind the counter.have tried every other way to get the terrier to not be so excited about someone getting off the couch that he jumps up and down in the middle of the room and then leaks on the ground!!
    Regardless of when he was last out.
    But started this morning.1 in the morning and 1 at night.anyone else tried these tablets?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's hard to see that they'll work to sort out the behaviour you complain about, to be honest, and if the shop assistant told you they would, he was misleading you!
    They are more intended to reduce anxiety, rather than to stop what sounds like simple over-excitement in your dog, and even as an anxiety-reducing remedy, they're hit and miss.
    Jumping up on people, as you describe, is generally a training issue, and you'll likely have more success of setting about training the dog to sit, or stay in his bed, in the situations where he jumps up. You'd need to start slow, by first getting family members to stand up. As soon as the dog goes to jump up on them, they immediately sit back down while you gently ask the dog, using food lures and rewards, to get into his bed. This needs to be repeated lots and lots, so that the dog learns that getting out of his bed to jump up on people is a fruitless exercise.
    It is vital not to throw him in at the deep end and go straight to trying this with visitors, he needs to learn how to do it in a calm and easy environment, and as he gets better at it, start to make it harder by introducing new people to the scenario.
    Putting a lead on him during your training sessions would really help, so that you can gently guide him back to bed. It's important that this is all done calmly and gently, without any big deal happening should the dog make mistakes, which he inevitably will at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

You must have misunderstood my post.i never said jumping on people.i said jumping up and down.and i meant in the middle of the floor.he has a problem with getting too worked up over small things.and no matter what ive tried.never had anything to show for it.so i taught, why not give them a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It does sound more like a behaviour problem, could be diet related or just him being a bit of a nutty terrier. Have you tried the DAP diffuser/sprays? Maybe check out dog training ireland or similars facebook page they might be able to give you some hints as to how to calm him down. Not sure if those tablets work but even if they do it's a short term solution..I have a terrier cross and she's nuts as a bag of Pistachios so feel your pain.

Mad as a bag of cats my lad is..i tried a thing that the irish dog whisperer told me to do.that was to squirt him in the face with a water pistol anytime he whinged.and before that i tried a few ideas i got from boards.nothing worked.but today so far he hasnt been too bad compared to any other day.i must try that DAM aswell.where can i get it?

djflawless wrote: »
    You must have misunderstood my post.i never said jumping on people.i said jumping up and down.and i meant in the middle of the floor.he has a problem with getting too worked up over small things.and no matter what ive tried.never had anything to show for it.so i taught, why not give them a go

Yes, I see that, but the same advice still applies nonetheless. What he's doing is very common, he has simply learned that jumping up and down is an appropriate behaviour, for him, in that situation... It's a result of not having learned to control impulsive behaviour, which is often itself down to lack of appropriate and consistent training. By teaching him an alternative to jumping up and down, you're teaching him to control his impulsive behaviour. It'll take time, but these things always do. Terriers are more impulsive than other types of dog, so these types of behaviours tend to be more exaggerated in them.
    There's no point in giving this a go unless you're prepared to be 100% consistent over the next few weeks, there is no magic wand that can fix this overnight. At least, not humanely.
    And on that note, squirting him with water is advice I always expect to hear from people who aren't properly qualified to give behavioural advice, no matter what fancy, or ludicrous, title they bestow on themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Mad as a bag of cats my lad is..i tried a thing that the irish dog whisperer told me to do.that was to squirt him in the face with a water pistol anytime he whinged.and before that i tried a few ideas i got from boards.nothing worked.but today so far he hasnt been too bad compared to any other day.i must try that DAM aswell.where can i get it?

Who is the Irish dog whisperer?

Btw, its DAP, not DAM, would love to see the faces in the vets if you went in and asked for that dam thing that calms dogs down ;):)

Ehhhmm as far as i remember, could be wrong here, but keith matthews
    Dam dogs :P

Ehhhmm as far as i remember, could be wrong here, but keith matthews
    Dam dogs :P

Jayney! He doesn't half love himself if his website is anything to go by :eek:
    He's so well known, a "doyen" indeed, of dog training that I'd never heard of him :D
    Though now that I see his face, I remember those awful training shows that BBC had to discontinue due to complaints from professional bodies representing qualified dog behaviourists.
    He is, as I suspected, utterly unqualified in behaviour. I'm afraid owning a pet shop and breeding dogs does not a behaviourist make, no more than owning a first aid kit and having a baby makes one a psychiatrist! :rolleyes:

DAP stands for Dog Appeasement Pheromone, it mimics the scent given off by the mother whilst feeding her pups, and helps to calm anxious dogs down. It can't do your dog any harm, neither will the Kalm-Aid, but I wouldn't be too hopeful that either will solve the jumping around problem. I wish it were that easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

We did a sled dog demo at an event in Northern Ireland and Keith was at it, held an attempt at the Guinness world record for largest dog class, which we joined in. No dog should be in front of their owner was his mantra - went down very well with us that had been dragged around the ring a couple of hours earlier - by choice. lol :D

Ah well i hadnt a clue he was a preverbial chancer.but a man at a game fair who took centre arena didnt seem to be wrong at the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement