Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 11 and all that

• 11-09-2012 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

today the world remembers the victims but continues to ignore innocent civilians murdered by America. you reap what you sow and the terror America so willingly spread throughout the world came home to visit them. that was an unprecedented shock.immediately after it the Americans bombed Afghanistan and killed thousands of innocents but they must have been inferior beings cos nobody cares.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

this day 11 years ago I got my dog, nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Fuinseog wrote: »
    today the world remembers the victims but continues to ignore innocent civilians murdered by America. you reap what you sow and the terror America so willingly spread throughout the world came home to visit them. that was an unprecedented shock.immediately after it the Americans bombed Afghanistan and killed thousands of innocents but they must have been inferior beings cos nobody cares.

This thread !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

But you remember and you care. I am sure there a couple of people in Afghanistan that care too but this being the west we dont really see much of their side of things on the six one news. But then they were trying to rid Afghanistan of the Taliban, who werent exactly a nice bunch of people. At the weekend they sent a 14yr old suicide bomber to blow himself up and when he did this he killed a number of young children so forgive me if I dont feel too much sympathy for the good auld Taliban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

In the mighty words of Borat, "We support your war of terror!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What happens on the 9th November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there seems to be a differentiation between flying a plane full of innocents into a building and dropping bombs from ahigh on civilian targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

America. Fúck yeah.

the_syco wrote: »
    What happens on the 9th November?

David hasselhoff made the Berlin wall fall, but I am sure you know its the american calender. a lot of folk do not realise when they are using americanisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

donalg1 wrote: »
    But you remember and you care. I am sure there a couple of people in Afghanistan that care too but this being the west we dont really see much of their side of things on the six one news. But then they were trying to rid Afghanistan of the Taliban, who werent exactly a nice bunch of people. At the weekend they sent a 14yr old suicide bomber to blow himself up and when he did this he killed a number of young children so forgive me if I dont feel too much sympathy for the good auld Taliban.

although i wholeheartedly agree with you on the taliban aspect, the americans bombed baghdad after an attack led by the saudis. they had no reason to bomb baghdad and killed thousands of innocent men, women and children. this attack was led by george bush who should be tried for war crimes.

there seems to be a differentiation between flying a plane full of innocents into a building and dropping bombs from ahigh on civilian targets.

That's because there is a differentiation between the two. Thing is that there has always been war, there has always been collateral damage during these with civilians always being caught up. It's a sad fact, but it's something we've been numbed to. However the September 11th attacks were something new, because for the first time in 60-70 years, the war was brought to people's front doors.

And saying that thousands deserved to die, which you essentially said in your OP, is a terrible thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I personally see a big difference between an attack which is directed solely at civilians and an attack which is directed at a military target where civilians get hurt in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

because for the first time in 60-70 years, the war was brought to people's front doors.

War was brought to plenty of peoples "front doors" in the last 60-70 years. Maybe not people in the West, but plenty of people in the rest of the world had war brought to there "front door".

This is not to say that 9/11 wasn't awful, but large number of civilians being killed is hardly unique to 9/11, and certainly wasn't something unique in other parts of the world. The unique thing was that it was the US who was attacked, in a spectacular fashion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I had gone to a girls that afternoon with the intention of getting the shift. why oh why did we flick on the fúcking TV... :mad::(

wes wrote: »
    War was brought to plenty of peoples "front doors" in the last 60-70 years. Maybe not people in the West, but plenty of people in the rest of the world had war brought to there "front door".

This is not to say that 9/11 wasn't awful, but large number of civilians being killed is hardly unique to 9/11, and certainly wasn't something unique in other parts of the world. The unique thing was that it was the US who was attacked, in a spectacular fashion.

That's what I meant by people's front doors; rather than them bringing the war elsewhere, the war was brought to them. Probably the last known example of an attack similar to this was the Allies carpet-bombing Dresden during WW2; a civilian target being solely targeted. Notice how I said known? There's probably a lot of attacks we don't know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

FatherLen wrote: »
    although i agree wholeheartedly agree with you on the taliban aspect, the americans bombed baghdad after an attack led by the saudis. they had no reason to bomb baghdad and killed thousands of innocent men, women and children. this attack was led by george bush who should be tried for war crimes.

I wouldnt say they had no reason to bomb Iraq, sure they wanted the Iraqi oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I had gone to a girls that afternoon with the intention of getting the shift. why oh why did we flick on the fúcking TV... :mad::(

Could you not have "consoled" her? ;)

Or told her the world was going to end so she might as well go on on a high? ;););)

MagicSean wrote: »
    I personally see a big difference between an attack which is directed solely at civilians and an attack which is directed at a military target where civilians get hurt in the process.

Sure, but the US doesn't do that. They target funeral and rescue workers in Pakistan for example:

U.S. drones targeting rescuers and mourners

And saying that thousands deserved to die, which you essentially said in your OP, is a terrible thing to say.[/QUOTE]

that is your reading of the situation. 9 11 was a terrible tragedy and while it was terrible that innocent folks died americas actions were bound to have repurcusions at some stage.

I found it disturbing the way americans had street parties when Osama was murdered. the man was unarmed and posed no threat to the soldiers but they were no going to take him prisoner. kill him if you must but celebrating a killing is perverse just like the English soldiers who had a cake and party with the victims name on it, whenever they killed an iRA man.

I wonder do Americans commemerate My Lai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I, too, think average American office workers deserved to die for the decisions made by men in the pentagon. Let's judge all individuals in all nations based on what their governments did with, or without, their consent. Snide middle-class attacks on US imperialism are much more important than basic human empathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

you reap what you sow
    Bomb America, and America won't stop bombing you until there's nothing left.

Zillah wrote: »
    I, too, think average American office workers deserved to die for the decisions made by men in the pentagon. Let's judge all individuals in all nations based on what their governments did with, or without, their consent. Snide middle-class attacks on US imperialism are much more important than basic human empathy.

did Iraqis and Afghanis deserve to die for decisions made by others?

would Israel be able to oppress Palestinians without Americas help?

BTW what make s you think I am middle class?

Zillah wrote: »

Thing is that it wasn't just Americans that died on those attacks - there were a number of Irish people too. Did they deserve to die, OP?

the_syco wrote: »
    Bomb America, and America won't stop bombing you until there's nothing left.
    true. they always need an enemy somewhere.
    there is something disturbing about a people so in love with war and killing. they did not like it when it visited them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Nobody deserves to die the way those poor people in the Twin Towers died.

I sympathise with the families of the victims., including the family of the lad from Sligo and also the family of the woman from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

killing people should never happen.....but it does, and it is done by people in every country...

the numbers game proves nothing.......

Thing is that it wasn't just Americans that died on those attacks - there were a number of Irish people too. Did they deserve to die, OP?

I wonder were there any Irish in Kabul or Baghdad? if not, thats okay. those folk dont count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

wes wrote: »
    Sure, but the US doesn't do that. They target funeral and rescue workers in Pakistan for example:

U.S. drones targeting rescuers and mourners

Yeah but i don't see Americans celebrating in the streets about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

The US need to look no further than Isreal for the main reasons behind 9/11, their continuing support of Isreal no matter what they seem to do have turned an entire region of the world against them & many would say justifiably so. America is a great country but its foreign affairs leave alot to be desired & they have paid a heavy price for their close ties to Isreal

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

First this then andy murry beating you last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Yawn :rolleyes:, Fuinseog starts an anti American thread. What a surprise.

Yes we get it you hate the Americans and Israelis. We know. Everything bad that ever happens is their fault. We get it.

Probably the last known example of an attack similar to this was the Allies carpet-bombing Dresden during WW2;

Seriously, WTF? The siege of Sarajevo, off the top of my head was an attack on civilians in the 90's. The Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, also featured multiple attacks on civilians. Saddam gassing the Kurds, and also gassing Iranians.

Thats just the stuff off the top of my head.... I am sure if I went looking, I could find more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

MagicSean wrote: »
    Yeah but i don't see Americans celebrating in the streets about it.

Most are ignorant of what there military are doing. So they can hardly celebrate something they don't know about.

Still a pretty piss poor defense, of the murder of civilians at funerals, and you know the murder of rescue workers. I guess when there Pakistani rescue workers, it ok to kill them.....

• Advertisement

the germans, carpet bombed coventry.....rotterdam...warsaw...leningrad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

did Iraqis and Afghanis deserve to die for decisions made by others?

Nope.
    would Israel be able to oppress Palestinians without Americas help?

Yes. Probably not as efficiently.

Neither of these points lends any support to the attitude you displayed in the original post.
    BTW what make s you think I am middle class?

Doesn't really matter. You can afford to live in a relatively comfortable life making derisive comments about complex geo-political issues with the all the subtlety of a brick. Whether you're actually middle-class or not doesn't matter. If you're actually posting from a bullet-scared hovel in the middle-east or something like that then I suppose I'll retract that aspect of my comments.

bluecode wrote: »
    Yawn :rolleyes:, Fuinseog starts an anti American thread. What a surprise.

Yes we get it you hate the Americans and Israelis. We know. Everything bad that ever happens is their fault. We get it.

yawn yourself. nobody asked you to participate.

which is why they are vilified. americans carpet bombed apparently to liberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Nobody asked you to post your ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I didn't even realise it was September 11th this morning, but that may be a reflection on my sieve like brain than the lack of so called "9/11" excitement this year.

. Whether you're actually middle-class or not doesn't matter. If you're actually posting from a bullet-scared hovel in the middle-east or something like that then I suppose I'll retract that aspect of my comments.[/QUOTE]

and what if I am posting from crime ridden Dublin?

czx wrote: »

nobody forced you to read it.

Your stupidity did

and what if I am posting from crime ridden Dublin?
    Crime ridden Dublin.lol

Your stupidity did

you are not long enough on boards to know the basic rule of 'attack the post and not the poster'.

millions of people in europe...called it liberation...

apparently, unconcerned about your opinion....

in war, people kill....people die.....

the object is to win.......

there was an example of that recently in dublin.......somebody won....somebody died......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Nonsense. Unadulterated nonsense in godwinsville.

The Nazis were vilified for a few rather more pertinent reasons than blowing up a church in the middle of England ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thought you were all being thick, by iPhone is instant that today is Monday the 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Your stupidity did
    Quit your childish sniping and have a proper debate, you two. If not, don't bother posting.

/mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement