Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Oman match thread 11/09/12

• 11-09-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Great to see 3 former Cork City players starting and 5 LOI players in total.

Im a bit puzzled with former Scottish U21 defender Alex Pearse in the squad.Is Greg Cunningham injured?.Pity Clark wasnt called up.Sunderland defender John Egan is on the fringes of their first team.Obviously Trap also hasnt heard of 23yo Kerryman Brendan Moloney with Forest.Also pity Ian Harte is forgotten about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oh man, this is going to be a shít match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Is it on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Having seen Oman play a World Cup Qualifier in the flesh in Sydney less than 12 months ago, I can safely say they're very shit.

(Ali Al-Habsi aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Heard its on Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Having seen Oman play a World Cup Qualifier in the flesh in Sydney less than 12 months ago, I can safely say they're very shit.

(Ali Al-Habsi aside)
    Didn't they beat and draw with Australia since then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Des wrote: »

Afro-shaking-head-no.gif
    :pac:

Should be a decent match for Ireland then.

Why is Craven Cottage, London, Ireland's second home stadium anyway?

Shirley it should be Limerick, or Galway or Sligo or somewhere like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

baalthor wrote: »
    Didn't they beat and draw with Australia since then ?

Yep both times in Oman with tough weather conditions, though Australia are quite shit themselves at the moment.

Tough weather conditions, in Oman?

What, too sunny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

(Ali Al-Habsi aside)

Well seen that they are about 50 places above Kazakhstan in 93rd(I think), then we are fcuked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i would assume its to get the crowds in to pay money, something that is not happening at home due to the brand of football.

Ex-Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Match seems very pointless.

Hopefully it will booster their confidence then again when you have a manager that doesn't trust in your ability and would rather hoof the ball up the pitch what do you expect..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Never heard of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

How is the named starting XI going to line up exactly? Like this?

Forde
    Coleman McShane Kelly Wilson
    Keogh Meyler McCarthy Brady
    Long Doyle

Can Wilson play centre back, moving Kelly to left back? Can Brady play left back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Oman...in Craven Cottage!! is this the depth to which we have fallen??

I have no opinion on this other than it will be a competitive match in which Ireland will need to keep their wits about them to stop a team who are on the up and fighting way above their weight. Ireland's effective midfield will need to keep their open, creative style which has served them well in the Trappatoni reign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

How is the named starting XI going to line up exactly? Like this?

Forde
    Coleman McShane Kelly Wilson
    Keogh Meyler McCarthy Brady
    Long Doyle

Can Wilson play centre back, moving Kelly to left back? Can Brady play left back?
    brady is on the right wing , though fergie had him at left back for.pre season .

McShane in any team makes me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

GavRedKing wrote: »

As does Keogh or Key O as the Brits would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GavRedKing wrote: »

The guy obviously made a deal with the devil, makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

listermint wrote: »
    i would assume its to get the crowds in to pay money, something that is not happening at home due to the brand of football.

Ex-Irish

Indeed. Half of Dublin would be reluctant to watch such a pointless exercise on tv let alone pay 50 quid on the door or whatever it would be. If I was in London I would go. If I was in Dublin I would just about be arsed watching it on the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Never heard of them

I remember first hearing of oman on the commodore 64 game micropose
    soccer and my brother beating them 9-0, he was brazil btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Always genuinely baffled when people say they've 'never heard of a country'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

(Ali Al-Habsi aside)

Well seen that they are about 50 places above Kazakhstan in 93rd(I think), then we are fcuked.
    Kazakhstan were around 80 when they were in AFC. Then they joined UEFA and their rank plummeted to its current level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

I Ken see what you mean alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I Ken see what you mean alright.

That's terrible, you should be banned for that pun.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Oman...in Craven Cottage!! is this the depth to which we have fallen??

Dimitar Berbatov will do a walk of the pitch, causing a magical aura to attach to the grass..causing all those who tread on it, to play magical football.

Or on the other end of the fantasy scale, this match will be bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Always genuinely baffled when people say they've 'never heard of a country'.

Usually the same people who post 'who' in a thread when they know full well who it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Thinking about this.....I'd nearly put a few quid on the FAI organising this fixture when the qualifying groups came out.

"Yeah, Oman will be a good test and an indication of what to expect from Kazakhstan".

Of course they subsequently get it all wrong when the fixtures are released and they play them 'after' Kaz.

That's how I reckon it went anyway! :p I mean, why in the name of baby jesus would we ever want this dead rubber of a fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Fizman wrote: »
    Thinking about this.....I'd nearly put a few quid on the FAI organising this fixture when the qualifying groups came out.

"Yeah, Oman will be a good test and an indication of what to expect from Kazakhstan".

Of course they subsequently get it all wrong when the fixtures are released and they play them 'after' Kaz.

That's how I reckon it went anyway! :p I mean, why in the name of baby jesus would we ever want this dead rubber of a fixture?

I think this friendly is all Oman's doing. They made the offer to Ireland, not the other way around. Oil rich country willing to give you a wad of cash, plus flights/hotels paid for. Chi-Ching! How could we resist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Yeah they played Nigeria there a few years ago as well. It must be a money thing but they should have tried play it somewhere in Ireland. The lads up in Abbotstown clearly haven't been listening to enough Jessie J, shame on them really.

It's not about the money, money, money
    We don't need your money, money, money
    We just wanna make the world dance,
    Forget about the price tag
    Ain't about the (uh) Cha-Ching Cha-Ching
    Ain't about the (yeah) Ba-Bling Ba-Bling
    Wanna make the world dance,
    Forget about the price tag.

It's modern day poetry friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah they played Nigeria there a few years ago as well. It must be a money thing but they should have tried play it somewhere in Ireland. The lads up in Abbotstown clearly haven't been listening to enough Jessie J, shame on them really.

It's not about the money, money, money
    We don't need your money, money, money
    We just wanna make the world dance,
    Forget about the price tag
    Ain't about the (uh) Cha-Ching Cha-Ching
    Ain't about the (yeah) Ba-Bling Ba-Bling
    Wanna make the world dance,
    Forget about the price tag.

It's modern day poetry friends.

Jesus Christ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Also pity Ian Harte is forgotten about.

(Wipes tear)

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Why draw the line at bringing 35 year old Ian Harte back? Let's get Gary Breen and Eddie McGoldrick to line out while we are are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Why is Clark off Villa not in the team ahead of McShane? Did he fall out with Trap too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

This will be tough to watch. Wish Trap would bury the hatchet with the players he is ignoring. Seen Andy Reid play a couple of games for Forest recently and he looks to be in good shape this would be an ideal game for him to show what he can do, likewise with McClean and Gibson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

PhilTorres wrote: »
    This will be tough to watch. Wish Trap would bury the hatchet with the players he is ignoring. Seen Andy Reid play a couple of games for Forest recently and he looks to be in good shape this would be an ideal game for him to show what he can do, likewise with McClean and Gibson.

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Not trolling have you seen him play this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

listermint wrote: »

Ex-Irish

??? Our last two home friendlies were watched by over 37,000 people(seats weren't cheap either), this is a pretty huge crowd for a friendly by any countries standards. Brand of football has very little to do with whether people go to a game or not, being in contention for things is the biggest people puller. Had we not qualified for the Euros, the Aviva would have been empty for those end of season friendlies regardless if we played like Brazil.

PhilTorres wrote: »
    The fact that Gibson and McClean aren't playing is their own fault. The Reid bandwagon meanwhile disappeared into the sunset a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

why are we playing Oman you ask? pure and simple, this is all about Money, according to the lads on MNS last night, the FAI are getting a sizeable cheque for this game and its needed to pay off the trip to Astana over the weekend.

Mezcita wrote: »
    (Wipes tear)

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Why draw the line at bringing 35 year old Ian Harte back? Let's get Gary Breen and Eddie McGoldrick to line out while we are are at it.

You can't have just 1 gary Breen though, thats the problem, trying to get a team of Gary Breen's out of retirement may prove difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The negativity and cynicism is ridiculous here recently. There's very little decent nations we could have faced as the vast majority have qualifying games tonight, Spain had a similar match the other night against the Saudi's.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The negativity and cynicism is ridiculous here recently. There's very little decent nations we could have faced as the vast majority have qualifying games tonight, Spain had a similar match the other night against the Saudi's.
    You see the line up contains a lot if the players the moaners have been asking for so now theyve turned to the opposition. Its a set intetnational date- in the absence of a qualifier we were always gonna play a friendly. Its a handier trip home from Londin than Dublin for most of our players too Id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

why are we playing Oman you ask? pure and simple, this is all about Money, according to the lads on MNS last night, the FAI are getting a sizeable cheque for this game and its needed to pay off the trip to Astana over the weekend.

I don't particularly see the problem with that.
    With no European or South American opposition available, then you might as well get the friendly with the most positive financial impact.

The fact that Gibson and McClean aren't playing is their own fault. The Reid bandwagon meanwhile disappeared into the sunset a long time ago.

Fair Enough McClean and Gibson should have handled themselves better but it's hardly a coincidence that Trap has fallen out with so many players. Surely one of the key attributes of being a Football manager is man management and he has consistently shown his ineptitude and we are suffering because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

It's baffling how people think, really.

Anyone mentions how England are ranked 3rd or Ireland are ranked 26th, they basically get replied with "lol", "gtfo" and "it's a silly system"
    However, Kazakhstan and Oman's ranking is bandied about like some sort of equation. We should score 2 goals for every 5 places they are below us.

We're also back to Andy Reid and Ian Harte. Had either of these two players been called up for this match, people would be saying how Trap is insulting two senior professional footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't agree there. Dropping people to teach them a lesson is pathetic, these are grown men ffs! Fans lose out too, so does trap himself.
    McClean was brough in to apologise in front of the entire squad, he apologised after the incident on twitter and the tweet was deleted about 20 minutes after it was posted, lesson learned and as trap said, that's that and there's a line drawn under it.
    But of course it's not over, traps has to leave him out of the starting eleven too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aenaes wrote: »
    It's baffling how people think, really.

Anyone mentions how England are ranked 3rd or Ireland are ranked 26th, they basically get replied with "lol", "gtfo" and "it's a silly system"
    However, Kazakhstan and Oman's ranking is bandied about like some sort of equation. We should score 2 goals for every 5 places they are below us.

We're also back to Andy Reid and Ian Harte. Had either of these two players been called up for this match, people would be saying how Trap is insulting two senior professional footballers.

'people' or 2 posters.... i think we can see from the response 'people' think that this is hilarious.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Don't agree there. Dropping people to teach them a lesson is pathetic, these are grown men ffs! Fans lose out too, so does trap himself.
    McClean was brough in to apologise in front of the entire squad, he apologised after the incident on twitter and the tweet was deleted about 20 minutes after it was posted, lesson learned and as trap said, that's that and there's a line drawn under it.
    But of course it's not over, traps has to leave him out of the starting eleven too.
    What about Gibson. He walked.

As for McClean no harm to make the point one last time IMO. This is a manager for whom loyalty is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Have to say looking forward to this more than Fridays, all friendlies should be experimental line ups like this. A few more I'd like to see in there but I'll enjoy this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is it sad im looking forward to this game more than last Fridays. Looking forward to seeing the new faces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement