Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Oman match thread 11/09/12

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I dunno. Although we didn't hit and hope as much, we still struggled to hold onto the ball against a team that are quite inferior. There was a clinical nature to the finishing that is normally absent. How often are Ireland 3-0 up in 30 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

noodler wrote: »
    grenache wrote: »
    Why did Trap play regulars like Cox and McGeady? It now looks that Cox has picked up an injury which could have been avoided by resting him for a meaningless friendly. Sean O'Driscoll will not be pleased.
    the same could be said for any of the players - if they got injured.

I know.

FFS he can't win now.
    The whole idea of these friendlies is to blood youth and inexperience.

Can you tell me what is to be learnt by playing regulars??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Trap won't make drastic changes against Germany. If he were to play Wilson, Long and Meyler I'd be happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Why did Trap play regulars like Cox and McGeady? It now looks that Cox has picked up an injury which could have been avoided by resting him for a meaningless friendly. Sean O'Driscoll will not be pleased.
    the same could be said for any of the players - if they got injured.

I know.

FFS he can't win now.
    The whole idea of these friendlies is to blood youth and inexperience.

Can you tell me what is to be learnt by playing regulars??????
    Did you even watch the game? Cox and McGeady were late subs only. He did give starts to inexperienced players like Wilson, Colemsn, Henderson, Meyler as well as squad players like Keogh. He also gsve 45 mins to Randolph and Pearce.

Trap cant please some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did you even watch the game? Cox and McGeady were late subs only. He did give starts to inexperienced players like Wilson, Colemsn, Henderson, Meyler as well as squad players like Keogh. He also gsve 45 mins to Randolph and Pearce.

Trap cant please some people.

Of course he cant, because they wont get their game come competition time. What the hell is wrong with the two posters that i can see still defending Traps delirium.

Tonights game he set out the stall probably to please the media and show off some youngsters in a game that means nothing. Id be very surprised if 1 of the shining lights out there gets a run out despite displaying ability and aptitude to take the game to the opposition.

If he does 'let' one play it will be no doubt the usual 73rd minute substitution where the regulars have played typical trap brand football and it isnt working.

Do have watched games since '08 havent you ? I mean i dont think anyones over shooting the mark to say his tenure is coming to an end and we've run out of ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

His tenure is not coming to an end, he'll be in place until at least the end of this qualification campaign, and probably longer if he wants it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads, chill will ye. Trap has a plan.

"Ireland player, in the future game against the Kahastan and Oman, you play the bad football on purpose yes? We play bad like when other bad managers here. Then against Germany, you pass pass pass and shoot shoot shoot *what is word I look for* - the sexy football yes. The Germany do not expect this. Then we win!" 3 to the 0

*wakes up*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

McGeady was his usual, open the gates and get me a icepop in the shop ..........................
    Don't know how he is a constant in the team, Brady has no chance of getting in, cos he can cross a ball and shoot and take free kicks etc. not a hope of getting in !

Secman

Des wrote: »
    His tenure is not coming to an end, he'll be in place until at least the end of this qualification campaign, and probably longer if he wants it.

i meant in terms of what he can achieve with the squad he chooses to play, not his contract . I fully understand delaneys ineptitude and the financial state of the FAI.

Des, as you know well, fans are a fickle lot, when they turn they turn, and the Manager walks, Delaney will look after himself first and foremost, will definitely be on the fans side without a doubt, and will shaft the Manager as he always does. If the fans turn and the arse falls out of gate receipts , the Manager WILL have to go,Delaney will see to that.

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads, chill will ye. Trap has a plan.

"Ireland player, in the future game against the Kahastan and Oman, you play the bad football on purpose yes? We play bad like when other bad managers here. Then against Germany, you pass pass pass and shoot shoot shoot *what is word I look for* - the sexy football yes. The Germany do not expect this. Then we win!" 3 to the 0

Carlsberg dont do fantasies, but if they did.................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Surely not, he will be 75 years old in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Surely not, he will be 75 years old in 2014.

Sure hasn't he lost it now anyway, thinking McShane is a good player and that Keogh and Cox are wingers and 442 is the only system of play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

secman wrote: »
    Des, as you know well, fans are a fickle lot, when they turn they turn, and the Manager walks, Delaney will look after himself first and foremost, will definitely be on the fans side without a doubt, and will shaft the Manager as he always does. If the fans turn and the arse falls out of gate receipts , the Manager WILL have to go,Delaney will see to that.

Secman

Secman, as you know well, John Delaney loves money more than anything else in the world, and he will not sacrifice the money of the FAI to pay off the manager.

Fans are not going to boycott games, so forget about that one.

Trappatoni will not "walk" - he's shown he isway too stubborn for that, so forget about that one.

Secman, as you know well, John Delaney loves money more than anything else in the world, and he will not sacrifice the money of the FAI to pay off the manager.

Fans are not going to boycott games, so forget about that one.

Trappatoni will not "walk" - he's shown he isway too stubborn for that, so forget about that one.

no one said boycott i suppose. did you see the turn out last night :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Home games will continue to attract 35K+ for as long as we are in contention in the group.
    If we aren't in contention in the group then Pep Guardioala could be in charge and the attendances would still be poor.

'Quality of entertainment provided by Ireland' is extrememly low on the list of reasons for people deciding to attend.

Home games will continue to attract 35K+ for as long as we are in contention in the group.
    If we aren't in contention in the group then Pep Guardioala could be in charge and the attendances would still be poor.

'Quality of entertainment provided by Ireland' is extrememly low on the list of reasons for people deciding to attend.

im not convinced its that low tbh. The casual spectator will attend to watch good quality football. Our style of play in the last 12 months alone is enought to put some off attending. im doubting its as low as you make out.

Des . i stand corrected , I did not mean to say the Manager would walk, but he will be pushed .... only a matter of time .The amount of "Footie" people I know that are currently turned off even watching it on the box is unreal. Delaney is indeed a "money " orientated man and thats when he will turn on Trapp, when the money coming in takes a nosedive. This nonsense with Trapp and his treatment of the younger players really is beyond a joke at this stage.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trap:

“At the moment maybe it’s better to have Cox than others. I choose the players on the basis of the job ahead. Obviously there are players in the squad who are coming back like Richard Dunne and maybe Damien Duff.”

WTF?

Why do they keep saying this?

Trap:

“At the moment maybe it’s better to have Cox than others. I choose the players on the basis of the job ahead. Obviously there are players in the squad who are coming back like Richard Dunne and maybe Damien Duff.”

WTF?

because the man has clearly lost the plot and doesnt believe on choosing players based on form. Which is generally how teams should be chosen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

There is no way the FAI will retain Trap after his current contract expires. Even in the extreme case of qualifying for WC2014, I would expect the FAI to have learned from last years mistake and offer Trap a rolling contract till the WC was over. Should he insist on a new 2 year deal i would expect them to show him the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only way he gets a new deal is if we somehow win the World Cup. Other than that, he is gone as soon as they can get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The only way he gets a new deal is if we somehow win the World Cup. Other than that, he is gone as soon as they can get rid of him.
    He will be will be offered a new deal if we qualify for the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Trap:

WTF?

Its very unfair on Duff who has stated that he has retired. No idea why Trap & Tardelli keep saying he might be back for. Its not good for our current wingers, and putting stupid attention on Duff when he has played a 100 games, is 33, and wants to focus on club football.

If Trap wud just play McClean/Brady on the wing with McGeady on other wing, we'll be ok!! Leave Duff alone and stop picking Cox in his place u old fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Soups123 wrote: »
    He will be will be offered a new deal if we qualify for the WC

Cant see them giving him anything more than an extension to the end of the tournament in the unlikely event we qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I backed Germany and watched the second half of the Germany game. They were very lucky to get a win i cant see us beating Austria out their. They were the better team and very impressive.

I think everyone in germany already have their flights to brasil already organised. The Austria game they play is a grudge game so its never easy but the rest would be german wins. I can't even guess how we will get on in this group as its so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Stevecw wrote: »
    Its very unfair on Duff who has stated that he has retired. No idea why Trap & Tardelli keep saying he might be back for. Its not good for our current wingers, and putting stupid attention on Duff when he has played a 100 games, is 33, and wants to focus on club football.

If Trap wud just play McClean/Brady on the wing with McGeady on other wing, we'll be ok!! Leave Duff alone and stop picking Cox in his place u old fool.

Agreed.

Its a bit perverted to say you prefer a more central ball player like Cox on the left rather than an out-and-out winger in McClean and then send overtures like this to Duff.

Nothing wrong with playing Cox mind, he's a useful player when put in the right position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Stevecw wrote: »

No need for that.You will be old too,some day.Although he would drive ya mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I think everyone in germany already have their flights to brasil already organised. The Austria game they play is a grudge game so its never easy but the rest would be german wins. I can't even guess how we will get on in this group as its so early.

10/10 for Germany in this group i'm afraid, if they do drop points the only place they will is away to the Swedes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement