Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13 - Mod note #129 & 1087

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Suarez's delayed fist pump is what makes it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Saurez is my new favourite Liverpool player and he has taken that crown from McManaman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Andy Carroll

Minutes played 516 minutes
    Goal 0
    Assists 0

Luis Suarez

Minutes played 990 minutes
    Goals 8 (League)
    Assists 2

Just a quick reminder for anyone wondering if Carroll should be called back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

gafferino wrote: »
    @LuisSuarez

A shame we could't get the three points. Glad to to help the team with another goal... Hugs to Terry, I hope it's nothing serious.

Suarez hugging Terry.....imagine the headlines :rolleyes:

To be fair to the panto villain, he actually looked shaken up by the accident, stayed with Terry until the stretcher picked him up.

IMO, that (along with the fact that it clearly wasn't intentional) explained why the Chelsea fans didn't give him any stick afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

geeky wrote: »
    To be fair to the panto villain, he actually looked shaken up by the accident, stayed with Terry until the stretcher picked him up.

IMO, that (along with the fact that it clearly wasn't intentional) explained why the Chelsea fans didn't give him any stick afterwards.

I am actually a little disappointed he didn't come out without a poppy on his jersey to play up that role.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

What are the chances of the board throwing the kitchen sink at Napoli to bring in Cavani? We can all dream right? :p

It still haunts me to think that we probably could have got him in previously, instead of lining Mike Ashleys pockets.

Just imagine what the himself and Suarez would do to the PL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If the rest of the Liverpool squad showed half the passion Suarez shows for playing football and living every fans dream and we were still in the same place we are now. I would be happy. But looking at most of the players they wish they were somewhere else and that as a fan is heartbreaking. We the fans and Suarez the player deserves better from the current Liverpool squad. That's just my two cents.

Agree.

The difference in application between Suarez and, say, Sahin is a veritable chasm. It looks like it really means something to Suarez - that it's personal. It doesn't look that way every game for anyone else in the squad save Carragher.

Oh, and, Carra gets so much stick on here but I thought he was great yesterday. Real blood and guts stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If the rest of the Liverpool squad showed half the passion Suarez shows for playing football and living every fans dream and we were still in the same place we are now. I would be happy. But looking at most of the players they wish they were somewhere else and that as a fan is heartbreaking. We the fans and Suarez the player deserves better from the current Liverpool squad. That's just my two cents.

Post of the month for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I am actually a little disappointed he didn't come out without a poppy on his jersey to play up that role.:D

If he had worn a jersey without a poppy it would have been brilliant craic for the media reaction. SSN would be in meltdown.

gafferino wrote: »
    The whole Zonal/man-to-man marking system will never be solved. City getting slated this morning for conceding so many from set pieces using Zonal marking. Mancini says their not strong enough for man-to-man marking.
    Ive no idea which is better.....just dont give your man a free header and clear the f*cking thing!

It's not so much zonal marking that's killing City from set-pieces. Its an inability to put anyone at the post, basic stuff like that would cut down the goals they concede.

• Advertisement

Pfffft! Using Suarez as away to attack the rest of the squad is a bit cheap.

Did Johnson look disinterested? Did Sterling? Did Agger? Did Enrqiue (for all his faults?), this is nonsense. Sure Suarez is driven, he also is a roaming striker and so has more licence to be a whirling dervish, others have to remember their positional/defensive duties all the time rather than when it suits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Agree.

The difference in application between Suarez and, say, Sahin is a veritable chasm. It looks like it really means something to Suarez - that it's personal. It doesn't look that way every game for anyone else in the squad save Carragher.

Oh, and, Carra gets so much stick on here but I thought he was great yesterday. Real blood and guts stuff.

2nd Best post of the month.. :)

Seriously though it sickens me looking at some of the players and their lack of passion and desire.
    My wife watched the last 30 mins of yesterdays games with me and my 10 year old [she normally hates footie] but all she kept saying is "Suarez is amazing, he never stops trying,Sean shows more passion for his u11 team every Saturday morning than the others on that team" Sean being my lad :P
    But she is dead right, she admits to know nothing about the game but can spot good honest hard work and will to win in any player.

I thought Glen J and Enroque put in a good honest shift along with Suarez and Carra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

suarez should have got a free before injuring terry..never mentioned though of course!!
    suarez is a actually class..love they way every one hates him apart from us...he is a genius..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Two weeks ago the place was full of get carra out comments, now look.

This places so fical. We need to appreciate it takes time for new players to settle, new managers to get it right and experienced legends have a role at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hidalgo wrote: »
    It's not so much zonal marking that's killing City from set-pieces. Its an inability to put anyone at the post, basic stuff like that would cut down the goals they concede.

Sorry but fuck city. Looking at the squad they have and hearing Mancini crying during the summer cos he wanted another couple of players nearly made me vomit.

Morzadec wrote: »
    It makes sense that the players went to Carragher after the goal yesterday.

In a 3-man central defence like this he's still a useful player. Obviously there are question marks over him in the 4-3-3 as his lack of pace makes him very vunerable to quick counter-attacks.

Useful in a 3 man central defence maybe, but that's a big chunk of wages to pay out to someone that is useful in a system that obviously isn't Plan A.

For those wages surely that would cover the pay packet of a starting centre half.

T-K-O wrote: »

This places so fical. We need to appreciate it takes time for new players to settle, new managers to get it right and experienced legends have a role at the club.

Fickle! Carra has done well, I'm guessing its his lack of game time, he can't do it every week but he seems to be coping well with a 1 in 2 schedule. If Skrtel or Agger were out for any length of time I'd say the weaknesses in his game/age would become apparent again.

Sorry but fuck city. Looking at the squad they have and hearing Mancini crying during the summer cos he wanted another couple of players nearly made me vomit.

I'm not defending them and I have zero sympathy for them considering the players/funds available. But some of the mistakes being made at the back are basic in the extreme.

Anyway I guess the City thread is
    > that way right before someone else points it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Chelsea don't pose a huge threat in terms of direct attacking football. How many times did one of their players beat a man yesterday?

Mata worked a yard or two to get a shot off a few times but that isn't really their game.

In that context Carra's experience and positioning paid off big time. If we have players running at him - Bale, Valencia, Touré - he'll still struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dcully wrote: »
    But she is dead right, she admits to know nothing about the game but can spot good honest hard work and will to win in any player.
    How many times has Suarez carved out a chance that led to a goal from a nothing situation as well?

For me, he has been the best striker in the Premier League so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

T-K-O wrote: »

I was always banging on that it was unnecessary to have Coates and carra of the bench at weekends as carra is in his last season while Coates just turned 22 and will hopefully push on to the first team in a year or two. I must say I've been very impressed with carra the past few games he played in especially yesterday after playing a full 90 in Moscow and playing again 4 days later, I thought he wouldn't be up to it but I was wrong.

He's such a leader too, something were sorely missing, I remember yesterday it was Enrique or wisdom was trying to get the ball by the side line near our goal yesterday and you could hear him shouting 'don't foul him, don't foul him'

Obviously the usual back 4 will always be the stronger but if we're doing a back 3 or 5 whatever way you look at it, carra in the deepest position seems to do a job. It's good to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Saw this on MOTD. I didn't even notice the shove on Ramirez yesterday in the goal build up :D

Here is the video from Sky :

Suarez goal push GIF :

8175766517_7638a91c63_o.gif

Suarez Celebration : ( Love the fist pump at the end :D)

1352655651923.gif

Great Pic of Daniel Agger & Luis Suarez celebrating to the "joy" of plastic fans

WIO6x.jpg

And for those that didn't give credit to Enrique for having a good game, here are some of his stats.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/how-the-reds-out-passed-chelsea
    Distribution
    One statistic that is sure to please Brendan Rodgers is the fact his side were significantly more accurate in their distribution than the European champions on Sunday. Overall, the Reds recorded an 87.2 per cent pass completion rate compared to the Blues' 79.8.

In the opposition's half, the stats displayed a similar gap with Liverpool players finding a red shirt with 78.5 per cent of their passes and Chelsea recording a completion rate of 70.5 per cent.

Andre Wisdom was Liverpool's most accurate passer. The 19-year-old had a pass accuracy of 97.7 per cent, meaning just one of his 44 attempted balls went astray.

On a day when he surprised everyone by popping up with his first assist since 2009, Jamie Carragher was also the Reds' second most accurate in possession, with 95.5 per cent of his 44 passes finding a red shirt.

Jose Enrique turned in an impressive performance for the visitors and he touched the ball more times than any other player on the park (94). In turn, he also played the most passes (62).

No Liverpool defender played more than seven per cent of their passes long while at the other end of the park, Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic (18.5 per cent) and Gary Cahill (14.3 per cent) opted for the more direct route down the field.

Defence
    Enrique launched into more tackles than any other player on the park (seven) and the Spaniard was in exemplary form as he emerged from each challenge in possession.

Alongside him, Jamie Carragher, Glen Johnson and Daniel Agger all won 100 per cent of their tackles.

Agger made six clearances throughout the 90 minutes, a feat that was only bettered by Ivanovic, who scooped the ball to safety nine times.

Attacking
    In previous games, prior to his injury, Johnson was able to offer an attacking threat for the Reds and register several shots on goal. This time, however, the full-back was kept quiet by and failed to register a shot on goal. Instead, Agger led the way at the back with two goal attempts.

Nuri Sahin sent two shots at goal, the first of which flew through the legs of Ramires and drifted wide of Petr Cech's left post.

Luis Suarez had just two attempts on goal on Sunday. One of those came in the 73rd minute when Carragher flicked a Suso corner into his path and he peeled away from Ramires to nod home Liverpool's equaliser.

Fernando Torres was eager to net his first goal for Chelsea against Liverpool since departing Anfield for the capital in January 2011 and this was reflected in the stats as the Spaniard fired more shots on goal than any other player on the field (four).

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The difference in application between Suarez and, say, Sahin is a veritable chasm.
    In fairness to Sahin, the defensive side of his game was decent enough. He did win the ball a few times and got a few decent blocks in. The problem I have is his application going forward. Either he is being told to keep it simple, or else he just isn't making enough effort to pass the ball forward. Having said all that, I am not a fan of loans signings and I don't think he deserves to be in the first 11, especially when Lucas comes back and with the way Suso can make an impact on a game.

Just had a look at the form table and Liverpool are 5th between Everton (who are having a great season by all accounts) and West Brom (who are flying so close to the sun Steve Clarke is busy playing expectations down). The margins are incredibly tight in the PL so far this season, so I'm not going to say the corner has been turned but with the run of games until Christmas - Wigan, Swansea, Spurs, Soton, West Ham, Villa, Fulham a few wins should be possible and I'd actually be reasonably confident of not losing more than one.

And for those that didn't give credit to Enrique for having a good game, here are some of his stats.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/how-the-reds-out-passed-chelsea

never get too carried away with stats , they dont show everything, enriques 'stats' may look well at times but it doesnt show the amount of times he should have passed the ball quicker,releasing team mates on the counter..stats also dont show how a player can create space for others by not touching the ball ,ie by just running into space or even getting out of the way or like tracking back in the right places..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

mike65 wrote: »
    Just had a look at the form table and Liverpool are 5th between Everton (who are having a great season by all accounts) and West Brom (who are flying so close to the sun Steve Clarke is busy playing expectations down). The margins are incredibly tight in the PL so far this season, so I'm not going to say the corner has been turned but with the run of games until Christmas - Wigan, Swansea, Spurs, Soton, West Ham, Villa, Fulham a few wins should be possible and I'd actually be reasonably confident of not losing more than one.

I was saying this last night. We are 4 points behind Arsenal and 5 behind spurs, 2 of the top challengers for 4th place. They are playing eachother this weekend so if we win we could be 1 point behind Arsenal or 2 behind spurs or 2&3 points respectively if they draw. Obviously its all based on us winning which is not a guarantee by any counts. But if we can have a good December I think we will be in a reasonable position come Christmas time. If we get Lucas back and he stays fit then I expect the second half of the season to be better. I dont believe we will get a top quality goal getter in January but hopefully with Lucas back in the other midfielders will start to shoulder the responsibility better when they are now when they will in their 'better' positions.
    I know there is a few 'ifs' in there but they are not outrageous.

Re the stats posted above, one of the impressive ones is pass completion in the opposition half. It's easy have good numbers in your own half where pressure from the opposition is less & you have more time on the ball. It's the passes as you get closer to the opposing goal that count imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

mike65 wrote: »
    Fickle! Carra has done well, I'm guessing its his lack of game time, he can't do it every week but he seems to be coping well with a 1 in 2 schedule. If Skrtel or Agger were out for any length of time I'd say the weaknesses in his game/age would become apparent again.

Fickle! :D

Yes, Carra's best days are gone but he can still do a job for us. Some guys in here wanted his contract terminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Robbed this from the Humour thread, quality :D

Knex. wrote: »
    Robbed this from the Humour thread, quality :D

I normally hate Hansen with a passion but that was funny. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Noticable difference between Suarez and Torres. When the latter was carrying us in terms of scoring goals, it was noticable in his demeanour. Not so with Suarez, he looks like the kind of guy who is carrying 4 bags of shopping for the wife and says "Throw the bag of spuds on me back..."

I'm fascinated by what we will do in Jan. If we get a couple more wins in the next 6 weeks, we could be top 6, very possible. 4 points off Arsenal, 5 off Spurs, despite a very poor (and tough) start. Reina out of the site, distractions in two cups, Suso/Sahin/Wisdom/Sterling all bedded into the side, and a far thinner squad overall.

Jan is very tough for us - United and Arsenal away, then City away on Feb 2nd. We need extra bodies that can make an immediate impact, not kids or cast-offs...

We're being linked with Wilfried Bony on Twitter. Anybody??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Funniest thing about that video is Owen's facial hair :D Have a shave!

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

touched the ball more times than any other player on the park (94). In turn, he also played the most passes (62).

Touched the ball 94 times
    Passed 62 times
    Therefore its possible that he lost it 32 times

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

opr wrote: »
    Funniest thing about that video is Owen's facial hair :D Have a shave!

Opr
    Far be it from me to defend Owen, but I'm assuming it's Movember related.
    touched the ball more times than any other player on the park (94). In turn, he also played the most passes (62).

Passed 62 times

Perhaps he touched it more often than once some of the times he received the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Passed 62 times
    yeah he played one touch the whole game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Passed 62 times

Hey, that's even more impressive. 62 one-touch passes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If the stat is based purely on times a person touches a then obviously Enrique will be really high. He takes about 5 touches to simple turn with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd be more interested to find out how much of his movement was forward, how much was backwards, and how much was around in a circle.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd be more interested to find out how much of his movement was forward, how much was backwards, and how much was around in a circle.

He looks like a dog chasing his own tail sometimes. But a lot slower.

big_headed_tiny_dog_chasing_tail_lg_nwm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

England captain Steven Gerrard has emerged as a doubt for Wednesday's game in Sweden, where he is set to win his 100th cap.

The 32-year-old midfielder played the full 90 minutes for Liverpoolagainst Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

But the skipper is to have a precautionary scan on his knee before travelling to Sweden and leading Roy Hodgson's side in the international friendly.

A statement on the Football Association website read: "Steven Gerrard will have a precautionary scan this afternoon, having reported for England duty on Sunday evening following Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Chelsea.

"Gerrard is expected to be fit to travel to Sweden where he is in line to win his 100th cap for his country."

Five players, including Wayne Rooney, have already withdrawn from the England squad.

Liverpool's next fixture is at home to Wigan in the Premier League on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just like last week Zaha (Crystal Palace) looks a step closer to joining Arsenal.

a lot of journos are saying that his joining Arsenal will be a measure of how Walcotts contract negotiations are going, as some see him as a replacement.

Enrique must be very infuriating to play with, if you make a run and your expecting him to lay it off quick you may forget about it...that must really crack his team mates..i know it would crack me!he has the makings of a good player but just to do less with the ball if you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We're being linked with Wilfried Bony on Twitter. Anybody??

I think he's Ivorian and plays in the Eredvisie. He's a 23 year old striker. I think he's fast. That's all I know.

We seem to be conveniently getting lots of niggling injuries.

They really should just use friendlies for fringe players to have a go. The first teamers don't need this ****e at this stage of the season.

One of the worst pieces of journalism I have had the displeasure of reading probably ever.

"Soppy Suarez"
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231659/Luis-Suarez-sends-hugs-John-Terry-Twitter.html

honest to God how do these people get the gig ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Just read an article on the Guardian site about Suarez- towards the end, it says we have enquired about Roma striker Ozvaldo who is supposedly a nutter, from only seeing a snippet of him he will fit in perfectly with all his tatoos. Is he any good though?

Hoki wrote: »
    Just read an article on the Guardian site about Suarez- towards the end, it says we have enquired about Roma striker Ozvaldo who is supposedly a nutter, from only seeing a snippet of him he will fit in perfectly with all his tatoos. Is he any good though?

I dont care if we have to ship the fella back to the mental home after every game. once he scores goals !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

For the stats nerds among us, ye might find this site interesting

http://www.squawka.com/teams/liverpool/stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

For the stats nerds among us, ye might find this site interesting

http://www.squawka.com/teams/liverpool/stats
    neeeerd.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement