Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13 - Mod note #129 & 1087

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian
    The byline on Daily Express story about Man City wanting Luis Suarez is Paul Joyce. That means one thing: it's true. #MCFC #LFC
    Phil McNulty ‏@philmcnulty
    As @DTguardian rightly says - if name on Suarez-City story is Daily Express's Paul Joyce then you can guarantee that story is correct.

This Paul Joyce seems to be held in very high regard. Strange, as I've never heard of him before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Blatter wrote: »
    Didn't Adebayor start for Spurs on Sunday, and play extremely well in fact?

U mean the city game? I didn't he think played great, but is capable of a lot, I reckon perfect foil for Luis
    Defoe in fairness is flyin and number 1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Am I the only one who would be more surprised if City weren't in for Suarez this January?

Just because its true doesn't mean he'll go though, certainly not for 40m or less. And I don't think that this is some rose tinted club bias opinion either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

U mean the city game? I didn't he think played great, but is capable of a lot, I reckon perfect foil for Luis
    Defoe in fairness is flyin and number 1...

I thought he did what he could and did it very well tbh. Occupied the City defence all game. Can't see Spurs offloading him in January - a club like that should have at least two quality strikers on the books. And I certainly can't see them selling to Liverpool.

Actually, Rodgers on Suarez last week:
    At this moment in time I’m safe in the knowledge that Luis had the chance to go in the summer. “There was probably no better time for him to do that with a new manager coming in.
    "He could have had an excuse to go, but having spoken to him at length he committed to staying here. He gave us that opportunity to see how it was going to work. It’s up to us as a club to add players that can help support him and move us on.

According to Facebook anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd rate Suarez at one of the top 5 players in world, and improving,
    Want him, 80 million !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I thought he did what he could and did it very well tbh. Occupied the City defence all game. Can't see Spurs offloading him in January - a club like that should have at least two quality strikers on the books. And I certainly can't see them selling to Liverpool.

Your probably right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Knex. wrote: »
    Am I the only one who would be more surprised if City weren't in for Suarez this January?

Just because its true doesn't mean he'll go though, certainly not for 40m or less. And I don't think that this is some rose tinted club bias opinion either.

It would have to be 60 to 70 because we hold all the cards a long term contract and player who seems happy to play for us . Every transfer window his name will be linked with a move and we won't be able to do a thing about it . If it came to stage where he asked to go send him Spain . It would be hateful to see us loose a player to a club in the same league as us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can't see Suarez getting on with the 3 Argentinians at city

Or the red half of the city either :pac:

Levy wouldn't sell us a virus, nevermind a player capable of scoring 15+ goals a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Levy wouldn't sell us a virus, nevermind a player capable of scoring 15+ goals a season.

Thats because hes too busy trying to rob all the players we go after !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

This was always going to happen we have arguably the best player in the league and we're not so hot but honestly I think the events of the last year in a sense bought his loyalty. He's going nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

How many players are there that are both better then suarez and reasonably attainable to the likes of city/Chelsea/, psg in the sense that the likes of messi, ronaldo etc aren't?

As long as there aren't many, there'll always be interest in him and unless fsg are willing to invest over the next year or two, it's inevitable that he will eventually be sold.

What's most important then IMO is to make sure that there's a contingency plan of sorts in place, that the money is reinvested in the manner the Torres money should have been. The Torres deal would have seemed a lot better if a player worth £35m had been brought in as well as Suarez for £20m, and that's what needs to happen if the club are to come out of the deal stronger in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I am very niave in thinking Suarez really likes it at liverpool and would not want to leave after the way the club stood by him last year and all the support he has got from the fans, he doesnt seem like the kind of person that would jump ship. He is a headerball alright but i think a very loyal headerball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Guardian article

Manchester City may be considering a bid for Liverpool's Luis Suárez in the January transfer window. The Uruguayan has enjoyed a standout season having scored 11 goals in 16 appearances for Brendan Rodgers' side and Roberto Mancini is considering whether to sell Mario Balotelli in the winter window to help finance the deal, according to reports.
    In the light of Suárez's form and he being Rodgers' only recognised striker, the Liverpool manager and the club's American owners would not wish to sell him should any bid from City be lodged.
    The price Suárez would command could prove a major stumbling block. The 25-year-old recently signed a new contract with Liverpool that is worth around £120,000 a week and runs until 2016. This means they are likely to demand a price beyond the club record £50m that Chelsea paid for Fernando Torres.
    After disciplinary issues that led to an eight-match ban last season for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra during a Premier League game in October 2011, Suárez has settled into his role as Liverpool's talisman. His departure would be a major setback as the club attempts to build towards regaining a Champions League berth and challenging for the title.
    Suárez, who scored in Uruguay's 3-1 win in Poland on Wednesday night, may not wish to leave even if Mancini does bid. Last week Rodgers said: "Luis had the chance to go in the summer. There was probably no better time for him to do that with a new manager coming in. He could have had an excuse to go but having spoken to him at length he committed to staying here. He gave us that opportunity to see how it was going to work. It's up to us as a club to add players that can help support him and move us on."
    Mancini may well be frustrated with Balotelli but whether he could raise money from the Italian's sale is debatable. The striker's salary and temperament could dissuade suitors while Milan, who do retain an interest, may not have the funds to finance his purchase so any deal would only be a loan which would not raise the required cash.

Not a quote or source in sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If city weren't eyeing him up he'd be doing something wrong.

Maybe in the summer and certainly the one after if we're still not in the CL but I'd be utterly astonished if they made a bid capable of tempting us in January. 40m and they'd be told to kindly **** off.

In practice, I think he's replaceable. There's plenty wrong with this team that can be fixed - a lack of goals from all areas, a surprisingly shallow midfield with Stevie's career winding down, but Suarez gives us sheer entertainment and it's hard to put a number on that.

Watching him tear entire defences a new arsehole is the main thing keeping us in line amidst all the draws and general ****e going on at the moment. No other club in the world in as poor a position as us in general can boast that sort of quality, I think.

With 50-70m quid we could get 2 excellent strikers and another excellent attacking midfielder as well as one or 2 young squad players. It'd be awfully boring watching us without Suarez though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Thats because hes too busy trying to rob all the players we go after !
    Cliche much?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Easiest ticket sale ever for me, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

niallo27 wrote: »
    I am very niave in thinking Suarez really likes it at liverpool and would not want to leave after the way the club stood by him last year and all the support he has got from the fans, he doesnt seem like the kind of person that would jump ship. He is a headerball alright but i think a very loyal headerball.

Lots thought that Torres wasn't 'that type of player' either. I know the Suarez situation is different because of the ban etc, but if things havn't improved in another 12-18 months, its not inconceivable that he will look to move. Players careers are short & by the time he's pushing 27, hew might be thinking he needs to move to win medals (worst case scenario I know but still feasible).

If worst does com to worse, as Liamosail said, a contingency plan would want to be in order to reinvest. Same goes for any player that leaves/could leave for anything resembling a decent fee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote: »
    Easiest ticket sale ever for me, nice one.

They seem to have got there act together alright, about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

In and out in 25 minutes, went well, got the games i wanted including Chelsea and Spurs games. The system seems to be improving each sale although the timer still jumps around a bit but i suppose people leave the queue who have to go to work on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Flights & Tickets booked for the Norwich game 19th Jan. I got seats in the Kop end Block 306 :). Looking forward to it as it's my 1st visit to Anfield in over 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If worst does com to worse, as Liamosail said, a contingency plan would want to be in order to reinvest.

Like how we reinvested the Torres money :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Can't see Suarez getting on with the 3 Argentinians at city

Or the red half of the city either :pac:

Im sure this was a throwaway comment, but any reason why he wouldnt get on with the Argentinians? He seemed to get on grand with Maxi last year, & their all Spanish speaking south Americans after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Please don't mention Andy Carroll! Regardless of what happens thank god the club covered themselves by lumping him onto a big contract in the summer. If (and that's a big if) he is sold it will not be on the cheap. After the Torres affair nothing would surprise me but I honestly do not see anything happening.

It's vital the club starts making serious moves in the transfer market. We cannot expect to keep the likes of Suarez with no ambition to bring in better players around him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Flights & Tickets booked for the Norwich game 19th Jan. I got seats in the Kop end Block 306 :). Looking forward to it as it's my 1st visit to Anfield in over 10 years.

The last time i booked flights for a game in Jan i lost the cost of the flights as the game was cancelled :(
    Never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Manchester City have no plans to buy Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.

A report in Thursday's Daily Mirror suggested the Blues are readying a £40m for the Anfield talisman.

But a senior source at City has confirmed that there is no interest from the Etihad Stadium.

With Liverpool languishing in 13th position, speculation is growing that manager Brendan Rodgers could be tempted to cash in on Suarez for the broader benefit of his squad.

City, meanwhile. have been linked with Atletico Madrid's Colombian striker Radamel Falcao.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1593757_manchester-city-rubbish-reports-of-luis-suarez-bid

No quotes here either. Seems to be a lot of Rabble rabble rabble but not a quote to be found anywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

With Liverpool languishing in 13th position, speculation is growing that manager Brendan Rodgers could be tempted to cash in on Suarez for the broader benefit of his squad

Where do they come up with this garbage.

Beats me. Mario Ballotelli hasn't blown anything up lately so they have to write something I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Wouldn't surprise me if City would come in for him. Or any big club for that matter. Everyone has their price, especially these owners I'd say. Whether Suarez is tempted or not who knows, but if we dont kick on in January with signings and results we mightlose him in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nail on the head. I would have no doubt that there are a number of clubs that would be interested in having Suarez in their team, and of that group there will be a smaller number that could actually make a sizeable bid for him.

I think that City's interest may be genuine, it would be strange if any ambitious big club did not have an interest. But being interested in a player is not the same as getting a player, and given the quality of Suarez as a player coupled with the fact he is on a long contract, then any offers would want to be starting at more than 40 million.

One thing I do know is that I will take articles in the paper about how Suarez is a top class player worth £40m over articles that try to make him out to be evil personified as it cuts the guy some slack in the media.

There's a lot of people now saying that this is all our doing. We've leaked it and City have no interest whatsoever. Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Nahhhh wouldnt say so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I hope it's garbage for your sake, wouldn't want a third name change forced upon you now would we? ;)

Worst come to worst, I'd suggest Doniistheman.

Sahin played 86 minutes for Turkey last night. Good to see him getting more game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I hope it's garbage for your sake, wouldn't want a third name change forced upon you now would we? ;)

Worst come to worst, I'd suggest Doniistheman.

Yeah because that third name change is the tough one. ;):pac:

gafferino wrote: »
    Nahhhh wouldnt say so!

I hope you're right and it's a load of crap cos if it isn't it's a very dangerous game to be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The independent.co.uk carries an article about the numbers saying the cost of Suarez over his contract would mean City would fall foul of the FFP rules, which leads to the question do City care and would they be sanctioned?

Hadnt heard about this....wonder what impact if any this sort of thing will have on the PL along with FFP.

The 20 Premier League chairmen are meeting on Thursday with financial controls and their implementation top of the agenda.

The league's shareholders are getting together for one of their regular meetings and club finances are set to dominate proceedings.

UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules are on the horizon with European football's governing body wanting clubs to balance their books starting 2013-2014, and a number of Premier League teams want to introduce similar guidelines.

There are three proposals on the table at the meeting which the clubs will be asked to vote on. Any motion needs 14 of the 20 chairmen to agree to be passed.

Premier League proposals:

Financial Fair Play - Controls to force clubs to break even.
    Wage Restraint ¿ Clubs can only increasing spending by 10 per cent every year.
    Contract guarantees ¿ Owners liable to cover wages of players they sign.
    The proposals are Financial Fair Play, Wage Restraint and Contract Guarantees.

Financial Fair Play would be similar to UEFA's own idea and would look to bring in controls to force clubs to break even, a proposal which Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is backing strongly.

"I really think every club in the Premier League has this desire to break even at least," Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told Sky Sports News.

Wage Restraint would be looked at instead of an outright salary cap, which many believe would not be legally viable, but would instead restrict the percentage of how much a club can add to their wage bill each year.

Contract Guarantees is a proposition that a club's owner, should they leave, would still be responsible to cover the wages of any highly-paid players signed during their tenure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What 3 players would you take in exchange if the move was to go through?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There's a lot of people now saying that this is all our doing. We've leaked it and City have no interest whatsoever. Surely not?

Did you say last night that you were hearing that the news was Raheem rejecting a contract? Time to back away from Twatter and all those rumour sites, they will do you damage in the long run.

Vanolder wrote: »

Aguero, Da Silva, Komany

A7vLao-CUAAJne9.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Three City players? :pac:

Dzeko, Yaya Toure, Nasri - I reckon that would just about add up to 50-55 million which is what LFC should be looking for if City really really want him!

Aguero, Yaya and Kompany. Nobody else

Melion wrote: »
    Did you say last night that you were hearing that the news was Raheem rejecting a contract? Time to back away from Twatter and all those rumour sites, they will do you damage in the long run.

Totally agree with you but just can't help myself. I am weak.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gafferino wrote: »
    Aguero, Da Silva, Komany
    mike65 wrote: »
    Three City players? :pac:

Dzeko, Yaya Toure, Nasri - I reckon that would just about add up to 50-55 million which is what LFC should be looking for if City really really want him!
    Melion wrote: »
    Aguero, Yaya and Kompany. Nobody else

Pointless question, pointless answers. Even if we were living in some cloud cuckoo land, if any of the above were to magically happen, it would increase our outlay on wages by about 500% compared to Suarez now, as any 3 of the above would be on a combined wage of around 700k per week at least I'd say.

What's the point of exploring silly speculation by having sillier speculation? Even if we were to sell him, no way would City give more than 1 player in part exchange, plus I doubt those players would want to go the opposite direction anyhow.

We won't be selling him in January, no matter the offer, but he might leave in the summer I think. For where I don't know, but out of England would be my preference if he does go obviously.

5starpool wrote: »
    We won't be selling him in January, no matter the offer, but he might leave in the summer I think. For where I don't know, but out of England would be my preference if he does go obviously.

I think that we can keep him through to next season if the right reinforcements arrive in January and he sees that the right signings are being made and the club is moving forward. If at the end of January we havent signed anyone then i believe he will be gone in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mike65 wrote: »
    The independent.co.uk carries an article about the numbers saying the cost of Suarez over his contract would mean City would fall foul of the FFP rules, which leads to the question do City care and would they be sanctioned?
    That was by Ian Herbert who I find very reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Suarez vs Poland :

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement