Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Chemical illness

Options
  • 11-09-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Known as M.C.S.. multiple chemical sensitivity, means that all perfumed products make me very ill.. this is quite an unknown illness, why I dont know as Ive had it from age 17 in the 1960s without any NHS help in the UK... doctors just dont want to know... perfumed products dont stop at perfumes.. it covers, cleaning products in the home, paints, makeup, hair gels, shampoos, soap, turps. paraffin, cigarette smoke, wood smoke, petrol, diesel, oils,bleach, fabric conditioners, air fresheners, especially plugins. which are the worst, the list is endless and cause so many symptoms. Some people think it just means you dont like a smell or sneeze a lot,, far from it... the symptoms range from memory loss, confusion, mood swings, stumbling, headaches, eye problems. chest infections, tremors, muscle pain, confidence issues, like the cause the symptoms are endless and sadly there is no help by doctors here in the UK.... For years I didnt know what was wrong with me, it wasnt nearly as bad the first twenty odd years and I knew what to avoid, but as time has passed all the symptoms have tripled, the only good thing is that now I know whats wrong with me thanks to the AAA and Allergy UK of which I am now a support contact by phone to try and help others... but all I can do for them is guide them on alternative toiletries and cleaners in the home and of course avoidance of triggers... so I feel quite hopeless when someone needs help... Maybe some of you might know someone who has MCS, if so please try and help them as much as possible by not wearing perfumes or perfumed deordants in their company.. strong soap powders and fabric conditioners are very hazardous to sufferers too... thanks for taking the time to read this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

I don't know if this will be of help to people or not but just to say that the Breakspear Hospital (private) in Hertfordshire, UK do a lot of work in the area of food/chemical allergies and electrosensitivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Drizzella

Thank you marian... sadly the NHS wont give out referrals for this hospital.. Ive only heard of one woman from Orkney who was taken down to stay a few weeks at the clinic, she said she felt well while there but as soon as she left the symptoms all came back... the prices for treatment are through the roof , much too expensive for me, and theres no cure Ive been told, but we live in hope that doctors will be convinced about this illness... to be honest I think many do know about it and are told it cant be treated, time some money was invested in finding proper treatments for these autoimmune illnesses.. it was very nice of you to try and help. A well known Royal who takes a great interest in the environment also tried unsuccessfully to help me by giving me the name of an alternative hospital in London.. sadly they dont deal in chemcals .

Advertisement