Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hasbean espresso bean recommendation needed...

• 11-09-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Small bit of backround first.

I bought a second hand gaggia evolution on adverts a week ago and decided to get a cheap burr grinder (Delongi kg79) on amazon to go with it.

So machine was 50quid and the grinder funnily enough was also 50quid with p&p etc..

So spent 100lids on my set up. I know its not ideal BUT it was affordable for me right now which was important and its just to get me started. I'll use it for the next year or so and see how I'm getting on and then might upgrade to a Gaggia Classic & MDF or Rancillo, etc depending on money etc..

Anyway my question for now is I have been lookin on hasbean and the amount of different beans is absolutely mind boggling.

I want to try a few different types but really have no idea where to start.

I tried quite an acidic (spelt wrong i think) espresso in 3FE the other day that was lovely so something like that'd be good. Should have asked what it was really.

So yeah I drink espresso 99% of the time so not intersted in filter/milk drinks etc.. so whatever beans would suit espresso mainly.

I want to try say 3 different ones.

So I'm open to ideas from the boardsie experts. Bring it on!! :D

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Hi,

I signed up to this last year: http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/The-Twelve-Month-Coffee-Gift-%28roasted-Beans%29.html

It's just about to run out and I think I'll renew it.

I drink espresso/Americano and occasional latte and my wife drinks lattes. We drink these mostly on the weekends an occasionally during the week so the 250g a month is usually enough and I've really enjoyed the various beans throughout the year...

My current setup is a Gaggia Classic and unfortunately and blade grinder... hoping to get a burr grinder but can't afford a proper one at the moment.
    I would be interested in how your delonghi works out...

~LTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Hi,

I signed up to this last year: http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/The-Twelve-Month-Coffee-Gift-%28roasted-Beans%29.html

It's just about to run out and I think I'll renew it.

I drink espresso/Americano and occasional latte and my wife drinks lattes. We drink these mostly on the weekends an occasionally during the week so the 250g a month is usually enough and I've really enjoyed the various beans throughout the year...

My current setup is a Gaggia Classic and unfortunately and blade grinder... hoping to get a burr grinder but can't afford a proper one at the moment.
    I would be interested in how your delonghi works out...

~LTD

I had a blade grinder but decided to get the delongi burr one as well tbh its was a cheap alternative to the big bucks of MDF etc..

Got some beans from my local coffee shop and gave it a shot. Getting the grind right is the issue I'd heard about this machine, people saying it didnt grind the bean finely enough for espresso.

I put it on its finest setting first. It ground the coffee to the point that it came out incredibly slowly. I googled and youtubed the reason for slow extraction and the one that matches it most is overextraction, ie the grind is too fine for the pressure to push the water through.

Anyway I changed the grind one small notch toward a courser grind and made a double espresso this morning which went a lot better with it taking roughly 4/5 seconds before the liquid came out in a dark/caramel colour followed by the tan crema. So I wont say I have it perfect or anywhere close yet but definately getting better.

To summarise I think the KG79 is a decent investment for my first burr grinder to learn with considering it was a small outlay.

Advertisement