Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC freeze/lag unknown cause

Options
  • 11-09-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have been having serious issue with my new build.

Every now and then my pc freezes and when this happens the mouse keyboard becomes unresponsive. To get it working I would have to restart the pc which then goes into start up repair.

This happened to me like over 20 times yesterday.

I have tried running memtest tis took about 1hr 20min and it passed all test.

I have copied explorer.exe to system 32 and still it crashed.

I booted to safe mode and no crashes at all, but safe mode with networking and pc crashes.
    This is my specs

ASROCk z68 pro 3 I have updated the bios
    10Gb GB of ram ddr3 1333mhz 4, 2gbx 3
    sapphire 4890 1gb ddr5
    seasonic s12 600w
    2 x 120m fans
    cpu i3 2120 3.3ghz.

I though it might bethe ram voltage but when I tried decreasing it with asrock extreme tuner the pc freezes.
    Please any ideas ? As i'm desperate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You should be increasing the RAM voltage for stability unless heat is an issue.

Which memtest did you try? Windows one or memtest.org?
    I've heard that the one with Windows isn't up to scratch.

I'm thinking it sounds like a corrupted copy of windows or some driver has gone wrong. How long has it being doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

The ram at this stage is at 1.65v, I think the memtest I used is that of memtest.org.

It been doing this for the past week.

1.65V is high enough. Do you know that it's not overheating from a misaligned heatsink or something?

I think you should reinstall all the main chipset and network drivers. Get them straight from the Asrock website. Uninstall any ones you can before the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

harddrive? try update your graphics cards drivers, that fixed some lockup issues I had before.

I'm dont know if it's overheating or not.

According to the device manager the Ethernet control or sm bus controller is not installed.

I already installed all the drivers from the asRock website.

• Advertisement

spix wrote: »
    harddrive? try update your graphics cards drivers, that fixed some lockup issues I had before.

My graphics card has up to date drivers and my hard drive is fine.

Your ram is mismatched.. never the best idea as some run at different timings/speeds/voltages. Don't go over 1.65v or you risk damaging your CPU.

Do you know the exact spec of each ram?

Your ram is mismatched.. never the best idea as some run at different timings/speeds/voltages. Don't go over 1.65v or you risk damaging your CPU.

Do you know the exact spec of each ram?

The rams are 1333MHZ.

What do you me by the specs.

Go see if Intel can help you out with the missing drivers.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/6series-chpsts

Are they all the same timings/voltage by default? Is there a model no. on them?

Try taking out the 3x2gb sticks and just use the single 4gb and see if it helps.

• Advertisement

The voltage are all the same. The timing according it settings are 9, 9 , 9 and 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Run "Speccy" and grab the ram details and post them here, that'll give everyone a better idea. It will also read your temps off.

Ok thanks will do now.

The voltage are all the same. The timing according it settings are 9, 9 , 9 and 24.

Well try taking out the 3 x 2gb sticks anyway to see if it helps. Did you get the timings and voltage readings off the actual ram/packaging or are you going by settings in bios?

Hi, I have just uploaded the ram specs it seems that 2GB x 3 are of the same manufacturer while that of the 4GB is a different manufacturer.

But if that's the case my pc shouldn't be able to run in a dual memory mode.

I just increased the voltage to 1.65 from 1.579 as auto configuration changed it, and for the past 2hrs or so the freeze stopped.

But pc is telling me that out of 10GB of ram 1.76gb is useable.

When I checked were its going to its saying hardware reserved ?

Where does it say this?

When I checked system properties then alone with task manager.

But I've fixed it maybe temporarily through msconfug by in checking the maximum memory use when booting.

Hi again,

From what I've uploaded is there something wrong with my ram ?

I thought the problem was solved when you increased your RAM voltage?

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    I thought the problem was solved when you increased your RAM voltage?

TBH I don't know I have not experienced any laf/freeze since I've increased it.

I'm hoping that its been fixed but I dont know if it has.

The LAG/FREEZE has not been fixed. In the space of 5 min it crashed 3 times.

What?

Monotype wrote: »
    What?

sorry iPhone auto correct, I didn't notice it till now.

The freeze again occured last night but it happened when I ran asrock xfast ram, which I have uninstalled.

As of now no crashes, its too early to tell.

Try removing all the ram except the single 4gb and see if it solves the problem! Then go to bios and load defaults. If crashes still happen then it's likely something else causing the issue rather than ram which doesn't work well together.

Try removing all the ram except the single 4gb and see if it solves the problem! Then go to bios and load defaults. If crashes still happen then it's likely something else causing the issue rather than ram which doesn't work well together.

I did that and there's been no lag as of now.

Advertisement