Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in Heat

• 11-09-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

New to posting but have been on the boards a long time and have picked up great tips from you all.

I got a rescue dog about three months (rehomed directly from the family) and we had no idea when she would be going into heat. Our Vet asked to hold off two months for her spray as it looked like she may be coming in to heat.

She did on 4th August and bleed for over two weeks until around 22nd August. In that time she was in Kennels for two weekends and was never on her own outside with us.

It is now 5 weeks later and her teets are still swollen and her vulva seems to be still a bit swollen.

My worry is that she could have been mated while in the Kennels even though they have told me she wasnt. Do you think she could be still coming out of heat this late on or could these be a sign she could be pregnant?

Advise greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

She could be having a phantom pregnancy, this is when her body thinks shes actually going to have pups. You can get stuff from the vet to help her get over this.
    Also a trip to the vet just in case might be in order, just to double check she wasnt mated and shes def not in pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You will have to get the vet to check her out, if she did become preg. the vet can deal with that as there are way too many unwanted litters anyway and it would very difficult to find responsible homes for any pups. If she is preg. I would go back to the kennels and make a complaint if they were informed at the start she is not to mix with other dogs.

She can still be spayed but best to get the vet to check her out in case she is preg, or has developed a complication or infection or something to cause the extended heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I agree with the above, vet can either feel her or do a quick xray to confirm shes not in pup and if it is a phantom theres a drug called Galastop which will stop her producing milk and make her come out of it.

Advertisement