Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Cut Off

Options
  • 11-09-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

I have let my house out and the tenant just told me yesterday that shes moving out as she enrolled her son into a different school (I'm sure she could give me more notice as i'm sure she would have known in August at least that he was moving!)

Anyway i asked my sister to go into the house last night as the tennant hasn't been around, the big window in the back bedroom has been wide open and apart for the obvious security risks I didn't want the room soaked or the window broken as it was very wet and windy.

To cut a long story short the Electricity wasn't on. I reckon its been cut off and she hasn't paid the bill - it kinda fits why she hasn't been around the house in a while. If she hasn't paid the bill will they try and make me pay before they reconnect? All the bills are in her name and i have her PPS no and phone number and i will try to get a forwarding address before she goes. As far as i know from my own experience of renting as a tenant- the bills go with the tenant
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, My neighbour had a similar problem, he let his house short term and they did not pay the bill- they dissapeared. When he returned to take the house back we rang the ESB with the meter reading, and got the bill put back into my neighbours name no problem.
    They were very nice about it, my neighbour was worried he would have to pay a 380e bill!
    If they have an account, they (the tenants) are responsible for it. From what i've seen anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bilko_con

zef wrote: »
    Hi, My neighbour had a similar problem, he let his house short term and they did not pay the bill- they dissapeared. When he returned to take the house back we rang the ESB with the meter reading, and got the bill put back into my neighbours name no problem.
    They were very nice about it, my neighbour was worried he would have to pay a 380e bill!
    If they have an account, they (the tenants) are responsible for it. From what i've seen anyhow.

Thanks- I hope that's the case! I have enough of my own bills to pay thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

not sure about esb but I had a tennant that had the gas cut off. The bill was in her name so I didn't have to pay that but I did have to pay the reconnection fee. Ring the esb & ask. I hope you still have the deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Can you not pay the electric bill and the reconnection fee by deducting it from her deposit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Can you not pay the electric bill and the reconnection fee by deducting it from her deposit?

In theory yes. OP- have you considered this? Do you have a deposit? Are there other utilities associated with the property that are also likely unpaid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Before you let the place again consider putting in a prepay meter. The tenant can buy credit in a Post Office or from selected shops.

You can arrange this through the ESB or through www.prepaypower.ie

Really depends on the sort of tenants you have- or are seeking. Many tenants would be seriously put off a property and would categorise a property on the basis of pre-pay meters. I'd shy away from this suggestion. Keeping the deposit in a separate account with a prescribed manner for returning the deposit at the end of the tenancy- less deductions for any unpaid utility bills, would be a better approach imho.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »

I've been a bit of a push-over - it was my fist time letting the house out. the council have been paying the rent straight into my account for the last while- prior to that the tenant paid me but had fallen behind. I allowed her to use the deposit to pay off the rent arrears. live and learn

bilko_con wrote: »
    I've been a bit of a push-over - it was my fist time letting the house out. the council have been paying the rent straight into my account for the last while- prior to that the tenant paid me but had fallen behind. I allowed her to use the deposit to pay off the rent arrears. live and learn

Errr- you do know that if the deposit is supplied to the tenant from the council or CWO hardship fund- that you are supposed to return the deposit to them- and not to the tenant?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Errr- you do know that if the deposit is supplied to the tenant from the council or CWO hardship fund- that you are supposed to return the deposit to them- and not to the tenant?

no the tenant paid me the deposit when she originally moved in and then she paid me herself for the 1st year (rent allowance and the bit she added to it herself)

After that she then moved to the Rental accommodation scheme (and the council paid me) and a new lease was drawn up with myself, the tenant and the council. Effectively the 1st lease ended and a new was was drawn up as if it was a new tenant was in the house. it says in the lease from the council that no deposit is to be taken and that they will cover damages beyond reasonable wear an tear up to a max of 1 month rent. Sorry - hope that is a bit clearer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement