Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be better off if there were no taxes, no public services?

• 11-09-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Roads would all be tolls. All public transport would be... er.. private I guess.
    No medical benefits/child support/pensions.
    But I guess you could always have insurance and take out your own pensions.
    I would have more more money I feel but am much happier having these services in place even if they're not exactly run efficiently.

Private schools would sure make having kids expensive.

But just think of all the tax money you have paid over the years...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Roads would all be tolls. All public transport would be... er.. private I guess.
    I would have more more money I feel but am much happier having these services in place even if they're not exactly run efficiently.

yes most definitely, especially with the type of government we have in power & opposition to this power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Plenty of people paying little or no tax already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

leonidas83 wrote: »

yes most definitely, especially with the type of government we have in power & opposition to this power
    But what of you were to have a special needs child who required 24/7 assistance?
    What would people in such circumstances do if they just couldn't afford it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

True I guess but who would do the upkeep (when they do it) of water mains, sewage, parks, lights, roads, schools, hospitals.. How much would all these costs. Would you be better off (financially I mean)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stupid question is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Hi I'd like to get some electricity to my house please."

- "Where do you live Sir?"

"Wicklow"

- "Certainly, that'll be a 5,000 euro connection fee please."

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

AnonoBoy wrote: »

"Wicklow"

No harm. We all know the only important part of the country is Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

while an interesting idea, i cant see how this would work for someone on say 18000 a year with a child (maybe two) so they pay no tax, but private school costs 5000, rent costs 6000... so you,ve 9000 left to spend on food, other bills, schoolbooks, privatised transport, pay full whack if ill etc

and if you've two kids then you'd really only have 4000 euro (9000-5000 second school fee) to spend on a family of three for the entire year...which, as everything is privatised, would have to cover every aspect of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

"Wicklow"

It's not that long ago since my sister paid £5000 to have a single phase dimestic supply connected to their house, late 90's maybe. And that's on a main road within 4 miles of the second town in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Da fuk did I just read?

Edit: The translation seems to be "Let's go back to the Middle Ages. How bad can it be?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Salute!

The most stupid post of the week

The middle ages weren't that great tbh (and even they paid taxes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

"Wicklow"

Im sure the charge for a connection is way more than that, something like 15k, It was something I read last year, so I dont have a link but Im sure that info is available, i'll have a look and see.

Also OP, I doubt it, definitely some services should be privatised but others not, reduce overlap and inefficiencies, have public bodies of few experts and farm the work out to organisations on contracts for a few years for maintenance and services except critical services, Garda, Army, Nursing, but services to those could be private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Wages would be cut overnight for jobs with a surplus of applicants as employers would know people had no viable alternative to working. Competition for jobs would be fierce and people would work ridiculous hours to impress their bosses.

Unemployment would fall to 5% or less as people would be forced to work for the meager wages above ... but employers could afford to hire more people, and our economy would be super competitive.

Since there would be no-one to enforce the law, crime would skyrocket, and everyone would have a gun.

Educational standards would vary wildly since there would be no centralised body to enforce them.

Most people in the public sector would have no work.

Most admin people in the public sector would have no work.

If you got a long term illness that prevented you working you might as well kill yourself as you would end up dead anyway.

On the "plus" side, rents and house prices would be much lower.

Actually most of the above applies to the USA !!!

Pretty rough overall ...

"Wicklow"

that already happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I wonder how exactly it works in places such as dubai?

There is no such thing as a stupid question ;-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I think you wildly underestimate the cost of your lifestyle, unless you are paying 40K + a year in tax I don't think you could have the same lifestyle you do now for less money. Would benefit the rich greatly, all the rest would be screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yes, definitely, private businesses never fail (or almost never) and when they do the market quickly adjusts to fill the gaps. By contrast, governments do a lousy job of everything, because there is no incentive for them to perform better (no competition means there is no incentive). The sooner we take areas that have traditionally been the preserve of the state and transfer them to the safe hands of experienced industry heads, the better.

bluewolf wrote: »
    that already happens

Oh yeah? In BRAY, Co. Wicklow?

:eek:

Merch wrote: »
    Im sure the charge for a connection is way more than that, something like 15k, It was something I read last year, so I dont have a link but Im sure that info is available, i'll have a look and see.

Ah feck it. I'm not researching every stupid post I want to make in After Hours. Forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yes, definitely, private businesses never fail (or almost never) and when they do the market quickly adjusts to fill the gaps. By contrast, governments do a lousy job of everything, because there is no incentive for them to perform better (no competition means there is no incentive). The sooner we take areas that have traditionally been the preserve of the state and transfer them to the safe hands of experienced industry heads, the better.

The bolded part is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Nearly everyone is thinking about services and all that including myself but who would set the laws who would run the courts, the prisons or inforce the laws a private police force could be disatrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Merch wrote: »

Also OP, I doubt it, definitely some services should be privatised but others not, reduce overlap and inefficiencies, have public bodies of few experts and farm the work out to organisations on contracts for a few years for maintenance and services except critical services, Garda, Army, Nursing, but services to those could be private.
    ESB connection is a flat fee now, think it was about €1300 to get ours about four years ago. That includes installing 3 poles and covering quite a distance with wire, near a kilometre I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Ah feck it. I'm not researching every stupid post I want to make in After Hours. Forget that.

Neither am I thats why I said I'd look into it but with no real intention

actually I checked the eirgrid site but couldn't find anything so gave up immediately, then hoped no one would ask me how did I get on.

I actually think the figure i quoted was probably for an application and connection for wind power but anyway, what he said, i mean you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

professore wrote: »

Surely there would be no public sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

It depends what kind of income you're on. The rich would do really well. Everyone else would be screwed.

Maybe the question should be 'Would you like to live in a more extreme unequal version of the USA'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No police, be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

no sewers, be grand (but stinky, and pestilent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

The government are very bloody inefficient but this situation would take the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

ceekay74 wrote: »
    It depends what kind of income you're on. The rich would do really well. Everyone else would be screwed.
    I'm not quite sure that's true. The wealthiest rely extremely heavily on governments to keep and improve their wealth.

To use the basic example, the company currently with the largest market cap in the world is Apple. They rely exclusively on patent and copyright law to make their money. No government means no patent or copyright laws, hence any other company could copy their products.

The only way to create a company with the wealth of Apple without government would be if the company was either constantly innovating and creating new and useful products, or they come up with a way to sell their products cheaper than anyone else. Given how much both scenarios benefit consumers, personally I'd have no problem with it happening.
    No police, be grand.
    What makes people think either of the above would be true? Both are pretty good business opportunities, it wouldn't take long before multiple companies would be competing to provide these services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Blowfish wrote: »
    What makes people think either of the above would be true? Both are pretty good business opportunities, it wouldn't take long before multiple companies would be competing to provide these services.

So we pay a private company to run the Gardai.

Sounds like taxes :pac:

So we pay a private company to run the Gardai.

Sounds like taxes :pac:
    The difference being, the Gardai have a monopoly on private security/law enforcement, where as without government, there'd be numerous companies competing for the role and you could choose between them, or even choose not to pay for private security/law enforcement at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The difference being, the Gardai have a monopoly on private security/law enforcement, where as without government, there'd be numerous companies competing for the role and you could choose between them, or even choose not to pay for private security/law enforcement at all.

Without government, who would create the laws that these private security companies would (on behalf of those who can afford it) enforce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's certainly an argument to be made for the government doing less but we need to have a neutral justice system, we need a safety net as well as various neutral regulators (healthcare, planning permission, financial). That all needs tax to pay for it and indeed, to pay for the collection of said taxes.

I can't see how healthcare run by private companies wouldn't be more cost effective.
    People who can afford health insurance use that and people who can't would be covered by social security.
    Everyone pays less tax, rich people who are sick pay for it and whatever tax we do have covers those who can't afford it.

It isn't about people who don't work don't deserve healthcare, or whatever other ****e - it's about the fact that competition generally leads to innovation and efficiency and that both of those are alien to public services which don't punish failure.

I think the state basically has a role where neutrality is more important than cost-effectiveness (gardaí), for a safety net or where nobody is going to be able to afford the big capital expenditure for things like motorways.

RayM wrote: »
    Without government, who would create the laws that these private security companies would (on behalf of those who can afford it) enforce?
    There wouldn't be 'laws' as such, but there are various ideas on private dispute resolution services, most likely this is theorised to be based on reputation. Some of it is covered here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

"Wicklow"

Where are you living that you don't think this is the case already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Celticfire wrote: »
    Plenty of people paying little or no tax already.

Everyone pays tax ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What would we do with all the infrastructure we currently have? Something like a refund for taxes paid over the years as private companies takeover schools, hospitals, roads, garda barracks etc.

Whoever paid in most would get more I assume, a higher dividend on their higher payments.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

See: Anarcho-capitalism.

It would rely on the rich to be virtuous people and freedom for the shark is tyranny for the sardine.

Adam Smith (king of the corporate 'capitalist' fanboy) said:

All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind

I don't see any reason why in the event of pure free markets a class of vile men wouldn't become the masters of mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

"Wicklow"

This fee would be competed away. Wouldn't happen.

A prime example is Somalias mobile phone network.
    Zero regulation, yet Somalia is possesing of the one of the worlds best mobile networks in terms of call quality, reception coverage and cost of calls.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4020259.stm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_in_Somalia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

K-9 wrote: »
    What would we do with all the infrastructure we currently have? Something like a refund for taxes paid over the years as private companies takeover schools, hospitals, roads, garda barracks etc.

There would be no companies. Companies are government creations. You raise an interesting point though. There would have to be a blank slate or the experiment would be tainted by public endeavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

everybody would pay into a private organisation to provide all the services...

then that would become the government......great idea...

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Where are you living that you don't think this is the case already?

I live in my house. Never paid a connection fee in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

No police, be grand.

So like vigilante bounty hunters? Some guy stole my phone, here's a description, I'll give you €50 to get it back, no questions asked. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

professore wrote: »
    Wages would be cut overnight for jobs with a surplus of applicants as employers would know people had no viable alternative to working. Competition for jobs would be fierce and people would work ridiculous hours to impress their bosses.

Unemployment would fall to 5% or less as people would be forced to work for the meager wages above ... but employers could afford to hire more people, and our economy would be super competitive.

Since there would be no-one to enforce the law, crime would skyrocket, and everyone would have a gun.

Educational standards would vary wildly since there would be no centralised body to enforce them.

If you got a long term illness that prevented you working you might as well kill yourself as you would end up dead anyway.

On the "plus" side, rents and house prices would be much lower.

Actually most of the above applies to the USA !!!

Pretty rough overall ...
    Ok, but there must be a downside. You forgot the downside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

It'd be mighty. No property tax, live completely off the grid. Who needs governments and codology that goes along with em. Just start a culture of having people donate a 5er a month to keep the army going so the country stays our own and doesn't get invaded by another country that has a government and we'd be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Thinly veiled "Lets have a Public Service bashing thread" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

"Wicklow"

And you know if someone wants to live in the back arse of nowhere and wants services brought to them they should carry the full cost and not have it subsidised by someone else. We might finally be able to build communities that have the critical mass to support essential infrastructure.

However an anarchist society as the OP wouldn't work. There would be no central authority to direct essential arms of the state such as police and thus society would descend into chaos. There would be no welfare and no one to do things that aren't profitable but in the greater good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Corporations are people, my friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

And you know if someone wants to live in the back arse of nowhere and wants services brought to them they should carry the full cost and not have it subsidised by someone else. We might finally be able to build communities that have the critical mass to support essential infrastructure.

However an anarchist society as the OP wouldn't work. There would be no central authority to direct essential arms of the state such as police and thus society would descend into chaos. There would be no welfare and no one to do things that aren't profitable but in the greater good.

Charities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

BOHtox wrote: »
    Charities!

Also letting your friends into your house so they can go for a shag, You'd be very badly stuck before you couldn't afford to do that

• Advertisement
Advertisement