Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house training new pup

• 11-09-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭

ok folks we have just got a new 8 wk old pup(beagle) she is piddling and pooping all over the house we try to get her out the back b4 she does anything but its always too late we have news papers near her bed but she seems to bypass that i know its an age old question but how do you go about house training a pup help appreciated:);)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly, get rid of the newspapers, as it only confuses the dog. You either want it to go outside or inside, it cant be both.

Secondly, at 8 weeks, the pup cannot hold it in, its bladder cant do that, so it will just go when it has to. You need to get a routine going and be patient. It can take weeks, even months to house train a puppy so you need to be patient with the pup.

Just make sure you bring the pup outside after every mealtime, drink, play session and sleep time. Make sure you reward the pup for going outside and make a huge fuss so he knows that going outside is good.

Never scold or punish the dog for going inside, unless you literally catch him in the middle of it, then you should just say "no" and bring the dog straight outside to finish.
    If you punish a dog for going earlier, he will not have a clue what he is trouble for so just remember that.
    I highly recommend Crate Training, there is plenty of info online for it if you decide to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Keep an eye for him circling as well. Usually means that puppy pee time is imminent.

Crate training didn't work for us, but I think we did it all wrong, but our fella is all but house broken now. There is the odd exception, but that is onlywhen he has no other choice.

Catching them in the act is a good way as well. Just a big "NOOO" and grab him and go straight out seemed to have worked for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

I cant recommend crate training enough!
    Einstein is 15 weeks this week and we havent had an accident inside in a month...

It takes a lot of effort, patience and time but in my view its worth it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

I got my pup at 9 weeks old and the guy I bought her off had her half trained, she will cry to get outside for a poop but not a pee.

I tried pads for peeing but they where a waste of money, just jeep an eye on it sniffing and circling if you can and take it outside and praise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

it can take a few weeks alright till they get the hang of it, i found that saying a particular word that they begin to associate with the said act and by bringing them out every half hour and wait a few minutes outside and they will usually perform, then plenty of praise and cuddles and they should have it off very soon. our little lady was 14 weeks last september when she got the hang of it and now no accidents inside in just over the year...happy training...

• Advertisement
Advertisement