Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low blinding sun in the mornings!

• 11-09-2012 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again when (depending on your direction of travel) your visibility is restricted when facing a low, autumn blinding sun. Twice this morning I almost rear-ended a car when I caught up to it and didn't see it was there. With the weather being so changeable a dark visor is out, so a tip for anyone who doesn't know, is a couple of strips of black insulating tape across the top of your visor. It acts like a sun-visor in a car, and stops the sun going directly into your eyes. I've just done mine there now, so I should be ok for this evening and in the morning. :D

It's kinda like this....

$(KGrHqZ,!o8E63YcFHQ5BO4L++zQ0g~~60_35.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Would it not restrict your view??
    I carry both a clear and tinited visor, have to agree i got it both ways, in the mornings heading straight for it and then on the way home same again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Would it not restrict your view??

It does and it doesn't. Personally, if I'm pushing on a bit, it does as I can't see too far ahead. But if I'm going handy enough, it's just fine. The idea is to just block out the sunlight coming straight into your eyes, so about an inch across the top is fine.
    i got it both ways, in the mornings heading straight for it and then on the way home same again

Yeah, it's a pisser ain't it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Would insulating tape not leave a residue when you take it off that will easily gather dirt and become rather horrible?

I wouldn't need this anyway, as I have to wear glasses so usually wear prescription sunglasses, but for those gonna try it, taking the stickyness off the visor will require a solvent to get rid of it completely. Vodka is probably less harmful to the plastic than most other things you could use though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Aviator+sunglasses+%25283%2529.jpg
    Also good for sleeping off the vodka hangover during meetings at work. :cool:

Would insulating tape not leave a residue when you take it off that will easily gather dirt and become rather horrible?

No it doesn't as the adhesive wouldn't be as strong as in sellotape or the likes. It just peels straight off, no marks.
    peckerhead wrote: »
    Aviator+sunglasses+%25283%2529.jpg
    Also good for sleeping behind during boring meetings at work. :cool:

LMFAO!!! Might get some for work! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Just get a lid with an internal sun visor.

hobochris wrote: »
    Just get a lid with an internal sun visor.

I have one, the HJC IS-16, and as handy as it is, it's still very blinding with a low sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Dark visor does the job for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A Sunax shield is probably the better option but not as cheap as tape.

• Advertisement

Dark visor does the job for me.

I have a dark visor on the KBC and if it's bright it's grand, but if it gets dull, it's too dark and I can't see anything. Just trying to avoid having to change visors if possible. I know, I know - I'm a lazy bastid! :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I have a dark visor on the KBC and if it's bright it's grand, but if it gets dull, it's too dark and I can't see anything. Just trying to avoid having to change visors if possible. I know, I know - I'm a lazy bastid! :P :D

I have one on my arai and I don't have that problem. Obviously when it's dull, it appears more so through the dark visor but not so much that my vision is impaired or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Dark visor didn't do much for me, but it stopped me from being completely blind today. Sunglasses seem like a good solution if you can fit them in comfortably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pretty sure you can get reactive pinlocks now, though I'd prefer a lid with internal sun visor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Yeah, it's a pisser ain't it??

Yeah nothing worse tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can get reactive pinlocks now, though I'd prefer a lid with internal sun visor.

I looked into these recently, I've a dark and clear visor and wanted the recative pinlcok for the clear, but a review I found said they weren't good, which is strange as I know several people with reactive glasses and they work great. Has anyone any experience of them?

The other option could be transition glasses instead of shades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Like many others, I just use sunglasses with a soft bendable frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have an internal sun visor, wouldn't buy a lid without one. Idealy I'd love a helmet with 2 of them, a dark one and a lighter one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Another +1 for the internal visor. They are great.

But I also ride every day with sun glasses on and visor open. I bought a pair of cycling sun glasses from Lidl.

I just means I can ride with the lid up all the day with fear of a bug taking my eye out. Helps with the sun light too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Look at any F1 (spit) driver's lid. They block out what they don't need to see - the sky - and the aperture in a car racing helmet is a lot narrower top-to-bottom than a bike helmet.

I've been putting tape on the top of my visor for years - it blocks nothing that you need to see and if you have a low sun you dip your head a bit and it goes away.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Look at any F1 (spit) driver's lid. They block out what they don't need to see - the sky - and the aperture in a car racing helmet is a lot narrower top-to-bottom than a bike helmet.

I've been putting tape on the top of my visor for years - it blocks nothing that you need to see and if you have a low sun you dip your head a bit and it goes away.

Yep, kinda what I do. Works just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

guys you can use these, strap on tinted goggles.

http://www.airsofteyewear.com/paragon.htm

or for the guys that wear glasses you can use these, i have them myself.

clipon sunglasses, they just clipon to your frames

http://www.sirrobin.com/TCmt020.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

clipon sunglasses, they just clipon to your frames

http://www.sirrobin.com/TCmt020.jpg

The 1970s just called... they want their clipon sunglasses back :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

KamiKazi wrote: »
    The 1970s just called... they want their clipon sunglasses back :pac:

The 1970's who.? :p

Advertisement