Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England to play Ireland next May.

• 11-09-2012 1:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Just announced on the News at One.

Confirmation within the next 48 hours.

Return fixture in Lansdowne Road also suggested.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

A friendly against England over two legs? Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I think the mini-tournament with ourselves, Wales, Scotland & England would have been a better way to go in regards to playing England again, less focus on it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I think the mini-tournament with ourselves, Wales, Scotland & England would have been a better way to go in regards to playing England again, less focus on it then.

Ya reckon ?

Remember the tournament from last year, very small interest in it.

Stick England in there and the interest in the Wales, NI and Scotland games will still be close to nill, but my God the England game will be sold out 10 times over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

Did they say Lansdowne Road on the news piece ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any source or link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

davehey79 wrote: »

Well they couldnt have put up a more ridicolous picture in the article anyway.

Yes we all remember the violence but lets hope if these games go ahead they'll go off without a hitch and the idiots will stay away and its all about the football.

davehey79 wrote: »

The guy in the white jacket, left hand side of the picture, he looks a bit like John Terry :P

But seriously, if the English FA wants to celebrate, why can't they get someone else? There are certain nations, which are not really suitable for a friendly match, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Will anyone still care about the international team next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lapin wrote: »
    Just announced on the News at One.

Confirmation within the next 48 hours.

Return fixture in Lansdowne Road also suggested.

Imperialist!:pac:

• Advertisement

Ya reckon ?

Remember the tournament from last year, very small interest in it.

Stick England in there and the interest in the Wales, NI and Scotland games will still be close to nill, but my God the England game will be sold out 10 times over.

It'd be my hope though that in a mini-tournament format there would be more football fans at it, but at a one off game it may attract more troublemakers. Just a theory anyway! :D

mike65 wrote: »
    Imperialist!:pac:

Play it in the RDS.

I doubt there will be a return fixture anyway. Its about the FA 150th nowt to do with Ireland other than the chance to put 1995 to bed for once and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jason Todd wrote: »
    It'd be my hope though that in a mini-tournament format there would be more football fans at it, but at a one off game it may attract more troublemakers. Just a theory anyway! :D

Did you pay any attention at all to the mini tournament last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

The amount of scumbags who are going to turn up at this.

I've been to plenty of home and away matches in the past 10 years, think our support is great and it's a genuinely friendly fanbase.

This will attract a different type of 'fan'. I hope i'm proved wrong and it goes off without incident.

ush wrote: »
    Will anyone still care about the international team next year?

A friendly with England will see alot of Irish hop over to it and alot of Irish living in England go to it also so there will definetly be interest in this and you never want to lose to our neighbours at anything.

The amount of scumbags who are going to turn up at this.

I've been to plenty of home and away matches in the past 10 years, think our support is great and it's a genuinely friendly fanbase.

This will attract a different type of 'fan'. I hope i'm proved wrong and it goes off without incident.

I don't know why, but suddenly the 'Love Ulster' march in 2007 comes into my mind :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm gonna show up in a Celtic jersey cos I'm Oirish loike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm gonna show up in a Celtic jersey cos I'm Oirish loike.

Ah leave er ouh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

BOHtox wrote: »
    Ah leave er ouh

LEAF IR OUH ya mean. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but suddenly the 'Love Ulster' march in 2007 comes into my mind :confused:

Exactly.

An example

EDIT - Just thinking - I know the UK Police normally stop hooligans travelling, but surely they can't stop them from visiting northern ireland on the same weekend and once their in, there's no stopping them from getting across the border. Unless the PSNI are stopping buses/trains/cars.

Exactly.

An example

That pic belongs into the 'Full Kit W******' thread, imo ;)

Did you pay any attention at all to the mini tournament last year?

No, but that's my point! It's more likely to pass off without incident in the midst of a tournament than a one-off match! (IMO, obviously)

I'm not clear, are you expecting a lot of Northern Unionists to march on Wembley or a lot of Dublin scummers to find the dole money to travel to England for a riot and a night in the cells?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

We'll get humped. Probably at home (if it happens) as well as away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The English will get some laugh when we turn up and Stephen Ward tries to kick the ball out of the stadium every time we play a long ball.

I'm not clear, are you expecting a lot of Northern Unionists to march on Wembley or a lot of Dublin scummers to find the dole money to travel to England for a riot and a night in the cells?

A lot of Dublin scummers to use the return fixture at Lansdowne Road for their own purpose

The English will get some laugh when we turn up and Stephen Ward tries to kick the ball out of the stadium every time we play a long ball.

Cos Woy is gonna have them playing like Barca.

A lot of Dublin scummers to use the return fixture at Lansdowne Road for their own purpose

If there is a return fixture, we'll see.

As for Trap v Hodgson tactics - shudders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We made Kazakhstan look like Barca for large periods of the game on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

We made Kazakhstan look like Barca for large periods of the game on Friday.

Relax lads Woy will play an experimental line up made up of young up and coming players and squad players to give it a competitive edge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Nope, but they'll still beat us handy enough.

If there is a return fixture, we'll see.

As for Trap v Hodgson tactics - shudders!

Do you think, both Trap and Hodgson will still be there? :D

Yes - just! The lack of alternatives being the main reason. Anyway England shall probably cruise through qualification as per.

Yes - just! The lack of alternatives being the main reason. Anyway England shall probably cruise through qualification as per.

There's other funny alternatives...Germany, Argentina...;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It will attract an unwanted element but I think some Irish people would try and stop it as the majority of people have moved on and don't want Ireland seen in this light (although I hear there was a banner at nights Shamrock Rovers game).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Couldn't there be a compromise and play it at Craven Cottage....our home away from home.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Couldn't there be a compromise and play it at Craven Cottage....our home away from home.

Never found out, why they pick Cravan Cottage? Because Damian Duff played for Fulham?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think the most important question here is, who is Rory McIlroy going to cheer for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Ah well. There goes our 27 year undefeated run against England then.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    I think the most important question here is, who is Rory McIlroy going to cheer for?

Engerland, of course :(

As he is British and not English I'd say he'll be playing golf or screwing his lovely fit girlfriend

Craven Cottage is host to many friendlies, nothing to do with Ireland per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

No doubt you'll again be wishin' and hopin' that some paddies will get their faces "smashed in" *rolleyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

can't wait to rip the seats out of Wembley and go rioting! who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

nbar12 wrote: »
    can't wait to rip the seats out of Wembley and go rioting! who's with me?

You go first. We'll all be right behind you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

CMON THE BOYS IN GREEN, PUT EM UNDER PRESSURE,

p.s. keane,green, O'dea, whelan, keogh better not be starting or its gonna be embarrassing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Never found out, why they pick Cravan Cottage? Because Damian Duff played for Fulham?

Same here. I doubt it has anything to do with Duff.

I reckon its cheap to hire. And thats because its a kip of a ground and awkward to get to.

At least its small enough to provide an atmosphere for our small turnouts.

Another thing, I thought they were knocking the place this year for a refurb with Fulham doing a ground share in Loftus Rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Another thing, I thought they were knocking the place this year for a refurb with Fulham doing a ground share in Loftus Rd.
    That was 10 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

They might have been talking about it 10 years ago but there was still talk of it around The Bush a few months ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They might have been talking about it 10 years ago but there was still talk of it around The Bush a few months ago too.
    No. They closed Craven Cottage for refurb and shared with QPR at Loftus Road for a couple of seasons about 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement