Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #87

• 11-09-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here the latest Album of the Week. Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote. Here's the breakdown of the votes. Only albums with more than one vote are listed. This week we had a three-horse race which saw British metallers Sylosis crowned the winners

Band|Album|Votes
    Sylosis|Edge of the Earth|3
    Fear Factory|Archetype|2
    Symphony X|Divine Wings of Tragedy|2

Here is Dystopia from the winner:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Love this band. I've seen them twice so far, and wouldn't mind seeing them a third time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I wanted to nominate a Sylosis album this week and it was a toss up between this and Conclusion of an Age. Both are equally great albums but I went with Edge of the Earth for a few reasons.

There's so much happening on this album that anyone interested in Metalcore, Thrash or even Melodic Death would surely find something they like. It's a quite long listen (over 70 minutes) and considering the ferocity of some of he songs you'd wonder how they keep it up, but they certainly do. I'm struggling to single out a track that I'd consider to be far weaker than the rest.

Denny M post Empyreal above, the single. An excellent song, one of the stronger ones on show and probably a perfect place to start if you're trying to get into them.

What I really like about Sylosis is the musicianship, they work like a well oiled machine. Previously the lead vocals were down to one man but after his departure prior to this album the lead guitarist took the role and fills it out just as well, if not better, while still playing lead.

Apart from Empyreal my picks if I had to make them from this would be
    • Awakening
    • Apparitions
    • Where The Sky Ends
    Where The Sky Ends getting a special mention as it's an instrumental, which is hard to get right.

Advertisement