Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore on Cat's Back / Tail

• 11-09-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hey there,
    Anyone know what this sore on our cat's back / tail area is?

2012-09-11+13.38.14.jpg

My dad thinks it's due to fleas, I'm not sure.

It was only what looked like a small scratch a couple of days ago. It has now turned into this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bring the cat to the vet. If it was a small scratch a few days ago then chances are he's had an encounter with another cat or a dog and the wound has become infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Bring your cat to a vet as soon as you can, it could easily be a cat bite which has become infected. Our oldest female has had two on her paws (she's a feisty little lady!) and has needed anti-bs both times. My friends cat has one on her head and it ballooned - she needed it lancing to get rid of it then anti-bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Ever2010 wrote: »
    Bring your cat to a vet as soon as you can, it could easily be a cat bite which has become infected. Our oldest female has had two on her paws (she's a feisty little lady!) and has needed anti-bs both times. My friends cat has one on her head and it ballooned - she needed it lancing to get rid of it then anti-bs.

Taking him to the vet now.
    Hopefully it's nothing bad

How did kitty get on in the vets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Ever2010 wrote: »
    How did kitty get on in the vets?

He shaved around the area, gave him an injection into the neck area. Put on some ointment and gave us some anti biotics and some of that ointment to put on at home.

He said it looked like he'd been bitten and has been licking it so much he's made it worse!

Also got some flea stuff from the vet while we were there bringing the total bill to 36 euro!

I thought that was really reasonable!

Not too sure about the flea stuff we got.
    It's front line combo spot on but it seems to be for dogs? I've heard it can be dangerous to give dog flea stuff to cats?

Booked him in to be neutered in a couple of weeks
    it's only 25 euro with a medical card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You better double check with regards to the flea treatment cos you cant use a dog flea treatment on a cat - can be highly toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

They may have just accidentally handed you the wrong treatment, ring them and tell them, they will most likely switch it for free.

Yeah just ring them to double-check. That's great value - when we were in Wicklow it cost us 80 for the same treatment!!!!! We had it done here in Sligo and it was 40.

You definitely should neuter as well, it should reduce any roaming and fighting with other males.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My cat was bitten once in the same area, we thought it was probably a dog bite actually, because as the vet remarked, when cats are cornered they tend to do the "crab" thing stepping sideways into the cornerand that's the bit that's the easiest to get for the dog, rear and near the tail. Makes sense.
    The antibiotics work great for that, he must have been a bit under the weather from it poor thing.
    They sound like honest vets.

Advertisement