Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Ordering, delivery status, etc

• 11-09-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭

If the reports and rumours are to believed, the new iPhone should be released in Ireland on Friday October 5th.

Apple online ordering is likely to start on the 5th of October - not any date before that, which technically should be the case so that people in Ireland and the other countries can get the phone on or slightly after the release date similar to what happens with the "bigger nations"

So what options does that leave people who want the iPhone 5 on release day?

No Apple store? The 'authorised reseller' Compu B don't sell the iPhone but manage to sell everything else from Apple?

From what I remember with Vodafone last year they were only selling the iPhone to Bill-Pay customers?

Is there any way we can get an unlocked or pre-pay iPhone 5 anywhere in Ireland on release day? :)

Or is it best to just order online and see how long it takes to deliver? Could be 3-4 weeks by then though and we'll end up with the iPhone 6 or more weeks later than the rest :o

(I hope I'm not alone here :P )

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rumours also that you can pre-order from tomorrow evening.
    Im not queing up or begging networks, i will order from apple.ie and when it comes, it comes :)

most likely Apple will allow a set amount of orders straight away online to allow for delivery in and around launch day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

kceire wrote: »
    rumours also that you can pre-order from tomorrow evening.
    Im not queing up or begging networks, i will order from apple.ie and when it comes, it comes :)

most likely Apple will allow a set amount of orders straight away online to allow for delivery in and around launch day.

Yeah for USA, UK & other international customers.

We won't be able to Pre-Order until Oct 5th from Ireland. By then the shipping estimates could be 3-4 weeks. Meaning Apple might not ship your iPhone up to 4 weeks after you've ordered and then coming from China, add another week or so?

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Aodhagan wrote: »

Is there any way we can get an unlocked or pre-pay iPhone 5 anywhere in Ireland on release day? :)

Apple store, belfast. Or a phone shop.

We won't be able to Pre-Order until Oct 5th from Ireland. By then the shipping estimates could be 3-4 weeks. Meaning Apple might not ship your iPhone up to 4 weeks after you've ordered and then coming from China, add another week or so?

how do you know? I dont think it will be that late tbh.
    Truth be told, nobody knows yet.

how do you know? I dont think it will be that late tbh.
    Truth be told, nobody knows yet.

It's always been that way. I don't see it changing.

Would like to know if Vodafone/Carphone Warehouse will have the phone in stores to buy on pre-pay on that day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

It's always been that way. I don't see it changing.

Would like to know if Vodafone/Carphone Warehouse will have the phone in stores on that day though.

They will, but they'll be network locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where do you get this from?

The 4s was announced on October 4th by Apple.

Countries from launch one were shipped on Oct 14th, this included US, UK, Australia.

The 2nd launch was on Oct 28th and this included Ireland and the networks here had the phones then. I got mine delivered on that very day.

Every year people try to say that we are left out etc when we're not.

Also the launch dates will be available in Ireland dates not shipping from China dates.

Apple do have Logistics and planning people who work all this out you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Tier 2 countries are getting the phone closer to tier 1 now aswell. I thinkth iPhone 4 was released here nearly a month after the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Could always buy it sim free from apple uk and parcel motel it to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Plenty of people take a trip up to Belfast on the UK launch day to pick one up.
    That's not the way they work it, cos they're not stupid. They deliberately ringfence stock per country, so the tier 1 countries can't consume all of the available stock, leaving no phones to sell on the launch day of tier 2.

There will be a limited amount of stock available on Apple.ie on the day, and each of the mobile operators will also have a small amount of stock, if they haven't already sold out in the pre-order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hazelanalyst

I'm currently with O2 and on Bill Pay, have the iPhone 4 and am due a Platinum Upgrade. Am definitely going to get the iPhone 5 but have never got an iPhone on or near launch day but this time I would like to. I'm sorry to be asking but just wondering what the best way of going about getting the phone would be.

Should I queue up outside an O2 store during the night or is there a presale or what would be the best plan?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I'm currently with O2 and on Bill Pay, have the iPhone 4 and am due a Platinum Upgrade. Am definitely going to get the iPhone 5 but have never got an iPhone on or near launch day but this time I would like to. I'm sorry to be asking but just wondering what the best way of going about getting the phone would be.

Should I queue up outside an O2 store during the night or is there a presale or what would be the best plan?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    For the iPhone 4 launch I queued at O2 newbridge from about 5:30 that morning. There was 4 in front of me and the shop had 16 handsets available

guil wrote: »
    For the iPhone 4 launch I queued at O2 newbridge from about 5:30 that morning. There was 4 in front of me and the shop had 16 handsets available

Oh 5.30 is quite acceptable, I was thinking more like 3am. My local store is Malahide so I'd say the demand will be very high there.

Does the O2 stores open early at all or 9am as normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Oh 5.30 is quite acceptable, I was thinking more like 3am. My local store is Malahide so I'd say the demand will be very high there.

Generally the stock is sold to new customers only. They treat upgrade customers like 2nd class citizens when it comes to iPhones

L5 wrote: »

Generally the stock is sold to new customers only. They treat upgrade customers like 2nd class citizens when it comes to iPhones
    No it was only available to bill pay customers on the iPhone 4 launch but a friend of mine got one at the same store because they had a few left over. I'd say in sublime the queues will form much earlier than 3am

L5 wrote: »

Are you serious?! That is disgraceful - we're giving them business after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Remember getting my 4s on launch day. Walked into town at about 8:50 passed the o2 shop it had about 5 lads outside waiting. Went into the three store and asked for an iphone on pre-pay she said no they only selling them on on bill-pay. Grand I saids so I walked over to carphone warehouse which was empty asked for an iPhone pre-pay for three, she said no bother and I got it there and then. None of this waiting in lines crap I intend to do the same this year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Doylers wrote: »
    Remember getting my 4s on launch day. Walked into town at about 8:50 passed the o2 shop it had about 5 lads outside waiting. Went into the three store and asked for an iphone on pre-pay she said no they only selling them on on bill-pay. Grand I saids so I walked over to carphone warehouse which was empty asked for an iPhone pre-pay for three, she said no bother and I got it there and then. None of this waiting in lines crap I intend to do the same this year:D

I've a feeling it won't be as easy getting a iPhone 5 as it was a 4s on launch day. A lot of people didn't bother with the 4s and held out for the 5

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

I think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From a guy with a live blog at the launch event, 'Friday' must refer to this coming Friday Sept 14th.

Pre-orders start Friday with shipment a week later on Sept. 21 in several countries. 100 countries by end of the year.

Based on previous experience, I'd say Ireland will be one of the 'other' countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

I'm liking the parcel motel idea, the iPhone will be delivers to county Antrim has any one used this service and what happens if the iPhones goes missing?

fox007 wrote: »
    I'm liking the parcel motel idea, the iPhone will be delivers to county Antrim has any one used this service and what happens if the iPhones goes missing?

Max value is something like €100.
    So your down the balance if it goes for a walk.

Plus no way of barring it from a network and no network sold it to you.

I'd rather wait the extra week for the IRL shipping.

On the otherhand, if you can pre-order for collection in the Belfast Store, that would be nice. I done that for the 4 on launch week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Max value is something like €100.
    So your down the balance if it goes for a walk.

Plus no way of barring it from a network and no network sold it to you.

I'd rather wait the extra week for the IRL shipping.

On the otherhand, if you can pre-order for collection in the Belfast Store, that would be nice. I done that for the 4 on launch week.

Did that for the 4 myself only this time, the 5 will cost £529 which is €660, compared to the €600 or so it'll be here!! Think I'll wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ron1269

Did that for the 4 myself only this time, the 5 will cost £529 which is €660, compared to the €600 or so it'll be here!! Think I'll wait...[/Quote]

More like E679 which is what apple have on the French and German stores as the price for the iPhone 5.

Ron1269 wrote: »
    More like E679 which is what apple have on the French and German stores as the price for the iPhone 5.

Their prices are always different.
    The 16gb phone is the only one that went up on the UK store. The 32gb version is the same price as the 4 was at 599 stg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sashalulu

Ok, I was under the impression that everywhere started taking preorders today (14th) so I went to carphone warehouse & they said they haven't heard anything about it yet. So I went to the O2 store & they said not for a while; it'd prob be over a month before they get it...so I'm confused...
    When is it on sale in ROI? Anyone know for sure? I've checked online but all I can see is speculation & can't find anything official...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not on sale here until the 28th.

Preorders are only being taken for the tier one countries shipping next Friday. Afaik, there are no preorders for the tier 2 countries except any lists the providers themselves set up.

The shops here will each get a limited number of phones which will sell out quite quickly. Then you'll probably have to wait a month before their next shipment comes in.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where do you get this from?

The 4s was announced on October 4th by Apple.

Countries from launch one were shipped on Oct 14th, this included US, UK, Australia.

The 2nd launch was on Oct 28th and this included Ireland and the networks here had the phones then. I got mine delivered on that very day.

Every year people try to say that we are left out etc when we're not.

Also the launch dates will be available in Ireland dates not shipping from China dates.

Apple do have Logistics and planning people who work all this out you know!

The very first day of ordering and already shipping times have stretched out to 2-3 weeks.

Imagine what it's going to be like on the 28th when we will first be able to pre-order on the online store.

Shipping will likely be 3-4 weeks + the actual shipment time.

The very first day of ordering and already shipping times have stretched out to 2-3 weeks.

Imagine what it's going to be like on the 28th when we will first be able to pre-order on the online store.

Shipping will likely be 3-4 weeks + the actual shipment time.

No it wont.
    The first people to order will have the phone by launch date.

After that, stocks will deplete and the shipping changes to one week, two weeks etc depending on the amount of orders.

I was on the site at 8.15 this morning and Apple broke down exactly when you will receive it based on county, and the whole of NI was Friday 21st Sep.

• Advertisement

No it wont.
    The first people to order will have the phone by launch date.

After that, stocks will deplete and the shipping changes to one week, two weeks etc depending on the amount of orders.

I was on the site at 8.15 this morning and Apple broke down exactly when you will receive it based on county, and the whole of NI was Friday 21st Sep.

How on earth is that possible?

Launch date = 28th September.

Apple Online Store start taking orders from Ireland = 28th September.

The Retina Macbook Pro was at 3-4 weeks shipping for well over a month after release. The iPhone is much more popular than that so don't expect the shipping times to drop to 1 week any time soon.

Face it. On the 28th September when we get the chance to order online, shipping will be minimum 2 weeks but more than likely 3 or 4.

Advertisement