Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 month 6 bottle wine kit help

Options
  • 11-09-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I'm at the last week stage of making up a 1 month kit (California Connoisseur Pinot Noir ). Fermentation in the 1 gallon demijohn is finished and the next step is to syphon off into another fermenter and add fining agent and other stuff. The instructions say to syphon off into the original primary fermenter and then there are instructions for degassing, stirring a few times over 2 days. But my primary fermenter is a 30 litre bin. Is that ok? Would all that oxygen in the large bin not affect the wine? Maybe it's fine as I cant imagine you could stir the wine if it I syphoned it into another demijohn.
    Thanks for any help (newbie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm a bit lost...You say fermentation in the demijohn is finished, but then you say primary is a 30 litre bin. Do you mean secondary is the 30 litre bin? That should be fine if so once you're stirring (instead of shaking, which is an option).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sorry, skipped a step there...
    It was in the 30 lt bin for a week (primary) and then transferred to the 1 gallon demijohn (secondary) for a further 2 weeks. Fermentation is finished and now it is time to degas and it says to syphon off into the original primary fermenter, which in my case is a 30 lt bin. After 2 days of degassing, the next step is clarification and stabilising (6 days), still in the 30 lt bin. Then bottling.
    Thanks

Advertisement