Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spamming of Films Forum

Options
  • 11-09-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I not disputing the fact I pm'd members in relation to items I had however i think the grounds for doing so are legit and the thread I started was not spam.

I have replica swords I need gone, I googled for people looking for some and found several threads and posts with people asking where to purchase specific replica swords from the LOTR movies.

I felt that the demand was therefore high enough on the Forum topic to post a thread that would benefit these members by providing them the opportunity to own the swords they were so desperately looking for and which are obviously impossible to find here in Ireland.

Correct me if I am wrong but I see both the airsoft and guns and ammo topic forums have for sale threads so I cannot see how advertising on boards in against the rules?

If there is a demand from members to purchase something should it not be ok for me to advertise items I have for sale and that they are looking for. If anything I was providing a service to help them out and me out in the process?

I am not disputing the fact i sent pm's to tell the members described above about my items, I realise this was wrong and I am sorry.
    I just want to know if I was really in the wrong for posting a thread that a lot of members were asking for and which a lot them replied to with great excitement at being able to buy these swords locally?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭castykidd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Standard question 1, Have you, as per the flow chart above, discussed this ban with the forum Mods by PM?

CabanSail wrote: »
    Standard question 1, Have you, as per the flow chart above, discussed this ban with the forum Mods by PM?

i have to no avail or reply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Mod who banned you has supplied the PM exchange you have already had. This satisfies question one.

You should be aware that the whole site is covered by the Terms of Use
    which you would have agreed to when joining. One of the things you agreed not to do was;
    post any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional content, 'junk mail', 'spam', 'chain letters', 'pyramid schemes', or any other form of commercial publicity

You cite some forums which do have items for sale. The key work here in the ToU is "unauthorised". There are a few forums on this site which, for various reasons, have requested a variation. This has been "authorised" by Admin. and the conditions would then appear in the Charter of the particular forum.

I have had a look at the Charter for the Films Forum. Part of this states;
    ADVERTISING
    This is not an ad site. Don't come in and tell us, with one post count to your name, how you've found this great website for cheap DVDs to buy/rent. There's already a nice Sites for Purchasing DVDs thread. Use it.

So while this does not specifically mention Swords or the like it is clear that Advertising is not allowed.

Having said that, I can understand your confusion having seen different rules in different forums. However looking at the Films Forum you should have noticed a lack of threads offering items or merchandise for sale. If you were confused you should have contacted the Forum Mods to ask them if you were allowed to place such a post.

Generally the penalty for a breach of Terms of Use like this is a Site Ban. You have had this reduced to just being excluded from the one forum you placed the Advertisement. To me this seems fair and correct. I uphold the decision as it stands.

As I see it from here you have three options available;

1. Accept this decision. = Resolved.
    2. Request that an Admin review the matter.
    3. Contact the Film Mods and find out if there is a way to have the length of the ban reduced. = Resolved.

Can you please advise your decision in the next 3 days, or it will be assumed it is Resolved.

option 1 no harm no foul sorry, learnt my lesson

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement