Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Vodafone Modem

• 11-09-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I signed up for Vodafone Broadband and got the text yesterday saying it was enabled. I'm waiting on the modem to arrive.

Thing is, I need to have my Broadband enabled for tomorrow, 100%. If that means I have to go to PC world today and buy a modem, so be it.

Does anyone know of a replacement modem that I can walk into a shop and buy today?

Is it a case of just plugging it in or do I need some usernames and password to connect?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

The VF modem/router is not very good anyway. the easiest to use is netgear and good. one to look at is the NETGEAR DGN2200 Wireless Modem Router but not sure where in dublin, i looked on pcworld but no joy. or use this one and you can collect, set up is easy, we can tell you later

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2395441

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    The VF modem/router is not very good anyway. the easiest to use is netgear and good. one to look at is the NETGEAR DGN2200 Wireless Modem Router but not sure where in dublin, i looked on pcworld but no joy. or use this one and you can collect, set up is easy, we can tell you later

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2395441

gbc

Available in powercity

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-W8961N&brands=TPLINK

gbc, would this be a good alternative to eircom's netopia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Plascebo wrote: »
    Available in powercity

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-W8961N&brands=TPLINK

gbc, would this be a good alternative to eircom's netopia?

Fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

SachaJ wrote: »
    Fantastic!

You can also use an old Eircom Netopia modem if you can get your hands on one.

that tp link would knock spots of the eircom but as I said I like netgear a lot. and the tp link can be tweaked as well. check prices elsewhere.

gbc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Falcone

Update. Picked one of the TP-Links up in Power City and glad I did.

Arrived home to the Vodafone modem and tried setting it up. Jesus what a piece of ****. All set up and Skype would connect. Dropbox wouldn't and could only browse some websites. Tried different points around the house and all gave trouble. After around 3 hours I searched for the setting for the TP-Link. Up it popped and solid as a rock.

Tomorrow's quest. Why I'm only getting 1MB.....

Thanks a million for the advice above.

glad you got the tp link and when you get to know it better you can go into it and tweak it eg reduce the snr but you need to read a bit.

To get better speeds you need to know, how far are you from the exchange, who is your provider, eircom or vf etc.

how many phone extensions in your house eg how may phones physically plugged in.

do you have modem pluuged in to what you think is the main eircom socket.

what browser are you uisng.

what did you use to test speed.

then you need to read off the stats from your modem ie upstream and downstream.

NB if you are more than 2 miles from the exchnage speed drops off a lot but inhouse bad wiring is a big culprit. How do I know? I have been there and upped my line from 3mb to 7mb so reply back and I can save you wasting time.

The ideal is one line to modem, no extensions. And use an eircom integrated socket, it contains the filter. I'll post a few pics later to explain.

glad you got the tp link and when you get to know it better you can go into it and tweak it eg reduce the snr but you need to read a bit.

To get better speeds you need to know, how far are you from the exchange, who is your provider, eircom or vf etc.

how many phone extensions in your house eg how may phones physically plugged in.

do you have modem pluuged in to what you think is the main eircom socket.

what browser are you uisng.

what did you use to test speed.

then you need to read off the stats from your modem ie upstream and downstream.

NB if you are more than 2 miles from the exchnage speed drops off a lot but inhouse bad wiring is a big culprit. How do I know? I have been there and upped my line from 3mb to 7mb so reply back and I can save you wasting time.

The ideal is one line to modem, no extensions. And use an eircom integrated socket, it contains the filter. I'll post a few pics later to explain.

Cheers for that. Rang Vodafone today and they said for some reason my account was set to 1MB. She sorted it so getting 10MB now.

wow you must be chuffed, its quite possible if you sorted your wiring you would go faster but 10mb is pdg. You must be very near the exchange and when fibre arrives you will be in heaven. that eircom socket works with VF as well. I am with VF.

glad you are up and zooming along. I have not had 10mb since I left UK and I miss it!!

• Advertisement

wow you must be chuffed, its quite possible if you sorted your wiring you would go faster but 10mb is pdg. You must be very near the exchange and when fibre arrives you will be in heaven. that eircom socket works with VF as well. I am with VF.

glad you are up and zooming along. I have not had 10mb since I left UK and I miss it!!

Yeah I'm delighted with the 10MB but recently moved out of Dublin where 100MB was an option for about the same money as I'm now paying for 10MB. I was on 30MB.....

oops you were spoilt, now join us but 10mb is still way better, it says dublin on your location still,

Advertisement