Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the catch with this laser to debit card crossover?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Just received my new visa debit card in the post today..

I don't buy the line that they are doing this "for our benefit".

Are there any changes in the terms and conditions/fee's & charges? Is there some change in the small print?

What is BOI gaining from this cross-over? Why are they doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

the laser card works in feck all places outside of ireland and online, visa debit works as any visa card always has. it's taken way too long to be implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

so there is no catch, they've just been so to roll out what they should have done ages ago? I'm always wary when I bank sends me a shiny new card I didn't ask for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi hollingr,

There is no change to the terms and conditions of your current account. The same fees and charges that applied to your Laser card will apply to your Visa Debit card.

The reason Bank of Ireland is changing to Visa Debit cards is that customers have greater security and more places that their card can be used. Many customers have been asking for some time when we will be issuing Visa Debit cards for the added advantages and this year we have commenced the roll out to replace Laser cards which will be complete at the end of September.

Please see herefor added information.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Hi hollingr,

There is no change to the terms and conditions of your current account. The same fees and charges that applied to your Laser card will apply to your Visa Debit card.

The reason Bank of Ireland is changing to Visa Debit cards is that customers have greater security and more places that their card can be used. Many customers have been asking for some time when we will be issuing Visa Debit cards for the added advantages and this year we have commenced the roll out to replace Laser cards which will be complete at the end of September.

Please see herefor added information.

Thanks
    Linda

Can you please comment on my liability should my card be lost/stolen or it's information copied?

I've lived overseas where 'Debit' cards had no form of protection and it was possible for the entire contents of the account to be emptied; whereas credit cards came with legal protection that limited my liability to something like 40 euros.

I'm particularly concerned because the card you've sent me can be read from a distance (the 'contactless' payment option) - it's relatively trivial for malicious people to read my card without my ever removing it from my pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi UCDVet.

Thanks for your query. We have another thread on contactless payments. The information below may help you.
    I just wanted to re-iterate that, as required by the payment card industry, our contactless cards include the latest security features. The protection of our customers' data and card security is a primary concern to us. When developing products and services for our customers, it's at the forefront of our considerations.

We provide Verified by Visa, for example, which is a free fraud prevention service that helps guard against unauthorised use of your Visa Debit card on the Internet. It's added security to help protect against fraud by asking customers to authenticate themselves when shopping online.

Also, as mentioned previously:

As an extra precaution, from time to time, you may be asked to enter your PIN to complete a transaction. Once you report the card lost or stolen you will be covered by the Visa Debit card terms and conditions of use.

We'll always investigate all reported cases of fraud and review each case on an individual basis. Our cardholders will have exactly the same protection as they have for all other fraud reported transaction types, once there hasn't been a breach in the terms and conditions of use of the card.

Visa Debit incorporates additional advanced security features including 3DSecure, making transactions more secure. Customers have additional protection where products are ordered and are not delivered or are faulty. More detail on how secure paying with Visa is can be found on their website at http://www.visa.ie/visa_ireland/security.aspx

Any further queries, please ask.
    Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

UCDVet wrote: »
    I've lived overseas where 'Debit' cards had no form of protection and it was possible for the entire contents of the account to be emptied; whereas credit cards came with legal protection that limited my liability to something like 40 euros.

Debit cards in Ireland also have no legal protection. There is voluntary code the main banks have signed up to (I think details are on the IPSO website, but I cant find them at the moment) which gives details of the level of cover a 'member' banks will 'voluntary' offer against fraud etc., but it has no legal standing.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Hi Tow,

All disputed and fraudulent transactions will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Once there hasn't been a breach in the terms of use of the card, we will fully investigate any transactions on a customers behalf. Please see here for a full list of the terms and conditions of using your Visa Debit card.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi Linda,

A companies 'Terms and Conditions' and a persons statutory legal rights as defined under the laws of Ireland and the European Union etc are not the same thing.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

lidl wont take visa debit cards:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kevthegaff wrote: »

Sure about that ? How then will people pay for their goods ? because laser is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

just checked their website

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-1A9AC6A6-A11EA117/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/customer-service.htm

And its quite clear that they DO take them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi kevthegaff,

Thanks for posting.

listermint is correct, as per Lidl's website, they do accept Visa Debit cards.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Don't Visa charge the middleman (i.e. the shops) more per transaction?

I thought that's why Laser was introduced in the first place. to keep costs down....

Hi UCDVet and Tow,

Regarding your above statements, section 6 of your terms and conditions state
    6.3 If you use your Card as a Consumer, you are liable for only €75 in unauthorised transactions carried out on your Account before you report the issue.

It also covers how Irish law applies to the terms and conditions.

I hope this explains it for you.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

They do take Visa Debit. If you had or have an issue with the same, contact customer service and they will help you. 1800 347 447

• Registered Users Posts: 14 arnesst

Main advantage of the Laser card was it's acceptance Ireland only.

With worldwide acceptance of a new Visa Debit - Debit card is simply less secure compared to Laser card. In case of card fraud your new Debit card could be used nearly anywhere on Earth.

You can ask for a low limit on a credit card (which can't go to minus). If you need higher limit you can always top-up credit card account.
    Daily your €2500 can be stolen from your debit card. Until your account is emptied.
    So credit card is more secure compared to debit card.

Advertisement