Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Cancellation Fee's and Packages

Options
  • 11-09-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just need clarification if I might have a case to complain to UPC or where I can get advice on the matter.

I'v been a UPC customer for over 2 years (nearly 3). About a year ago in November myself & my roommates at the time got a phone added to our broadband package (We were paying for the Broadband only + standalone charge) as we were informed by UPC that having the broadband + phone package is cheaper than the broadband by itself. This was under my account I had been a customer for 2 years on.

Grand, cue to the present where I was about to give my 30 days cancellation notice but was told that I will get the €150 cancellation fee because I added the phone package with the broadband last year.

I was never made aware through any of the process off adding the phone package that it would incur the renewal of the 12 month subscription whereby cancelling would require me to pay any cancellation fees.

I am moving into a new apartment with my girlfriend, and we are using her UPC as she has been signed up with UPC for less than 12 months. We are now going to be paying two UPC bills until at least November/December.

When I had gotten in touch with someone in UPC about this yesterday I was told I could cancel my Broadband subscription for 30 days notice now, then I could cancel my phone at a later stage with less fee's per month /w standalone charge - I give them written notice to do this with note that I was informed that I could cancel my phone later

Get an e-mail today stating that both broadband & phone will be cancelled and ill be issued a €150 cancellation fee. I ring back and explain what was told to me yesterday but was told that this isn't the case and broadband/phone have to be cancelled together.

I have asked them to terminate the cancellation until I can cancel both but it's ridiculous and feel iv been given the run around where one person is stating something and another stating it's not. Also the fact I was never made aware that getting a phone service added to my current subscription would renew the the whole cancelling before 12 months process.

Any help appreciated

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Making ANY changes in your contract, be it with a mobile phone, regular phone, gas, electricity, broadband etc. company will trigger a contract renewal as you have a new contract (be it for price, service or what ever else). I'm surprised you've never run into it before but that's how things work out there so get used to it.

What I'd do is go to the UPC customer section here on boards (I still think we have it somewhere) and ask them if the time you pay in can be added to your gf's broadband instead (in essence extending her contract period) as you'll still be on UPC as a good will gesture. The reason to do it on boards is simply because you're likely to get better service then calling a random person who don't remember you or know your background story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Nody wrote: »
    Making ANY changes in your contract, be it with a mobile phone, regular phone, gas, electricity, broadband etc. company will trigger a contract renewal as you have a new contract (be it for price, service or what ever else). I'm surprised you've never run into it before but that's how things work out there so get used to it.

What I'd do is go to the UPC customer section here on boards (I still think we have it somewhere) and ask them if the time you pay in can be added to your gf's broadband instead (in essence extending her contract period) as you'll still be on UPC as a good will gesture. The reason to do it on boards is simply because you're likely to get better service then calling a random person who don't remember you or know your background story.

Normally they would send out a letter confirming your new contract when you sign up to one. Pretty much all companies would do this. Ask them for proof you agreed to a new contract. Just because you took the phone does not mean you agreed to a new contract unless it was specifically mentioned in the call or in a letter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'm aware of that, however any time I'v had a contract renewal it has been stated in writing or verbally when doing so. I was never made aware of this instance in either cases - which is exactly why I am on here.

There doesn't seem to be a particular section but I'll give the Representatives a shout. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

this isnt true.

i've recently asked airtricity to reduce my unit charge...they agreed to drop it 8% and specifically stated there is no new contract and i am still free to move to another provider at any stage.

then Energy regulator increased standard rates by 8% the next day...so i'm pretty much where i was :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement